Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Finished my first week back in teaching
(01-12-2018, 04:50 PM)WallofTrewick Wrote:
(01-12-2018, 04:46 PM)Captainmarvel Wrote: Good news, well done. Tough job that never really stops and often working under tough circumstances.

Cheers.
Wasn't sure if I was still up to it after my meltdown in September. If this one doesn't work that will be it after 28 years in the job! 
Some challenging kids but a nice school with great staff. Only one week in with my busier week of a two week timetable to come next week but a better start than it could have been. 
Onwards and upwards!
I must stop asking the kids if they need a carrier bag or have a 'My John Lewis' card as they enter the classroom though.

Good luck! If mainstream doesn't fit, why not try special?
Fugg off Barry!
(01-12-2018, 03:48 PM)WallofTrewick Wrote: Only part-time and my lighter of two weeks but a big step......feeling good!

Ask 'em what they'd spend £15 on!

I bet 90% of the answers will be "crack".
(01-12-2018, 05:00 PM)SausEggBagel Wrote:
(01-12-2018, 03:48 PM)WallofTrewick Wrote: Only part-time and my lighter of two weeks but a big step......feeling good!

Ask 'em what they'd spend £15 on!

I bet 90% of the answers will be "crack".

Makes a change from a bottle of prosecco worth £4 in a fancy cylinder with a few shit truffles in a fancy tube. That's what the John Lewis punters were spending £15 on!
Don't know if that was a serious post but if so, don't bite.
Glad you have come through it ok. I expect your first day was full of CPDs and getting up to speed on cp policies. Are you fully conversant with what colour form needs to be filled in and who to report to? 
Them wuz the days. I don't miss all the box ticking or most of the kids really. Miss daily contact mind. Hope it all continues to go well for you.
(01-12-2018, 05:17 PM)John Osbourne Wrote: Don't know if that was a serious post but if so, don't bite.
Glad you have come through it ok. I expect your first day was full of CPDs and getting up to speed on cp policies. Are you fully conversant with what colour form needs to be filled in and who to report to? 
Them wuz the days. I don't miss all the box ticking or most of the kids really. Miss daily contact mind. Hope it all continues to go well for you.

No intention of biting mate.

There are different coloured sheets to be completed after every kid farts. These are then to be stuck in the right place in anticipation of OFSTED! All schools seem the same these days but at least these guys seem suitably cynical about it!

Thanks for the good wishes.

(01-12-2018, 05:17 PM)John Osbourne Wrote: Don't know if that was a serious post but if so, don't bite.

Correct about the CPD and child protection. In my mind the Child Protection stuff is one aspect where things have moved on so much for the better. When I think about how slack things were when I first started teaching it's truly frightening.
(01-12-2018, 04:01 PM)RainbowTurnedEastStand Wrote: I feel really sorry for these teachers having the same holiday`s as the kids get and actually getting paid for it

What on earth is going on there? 

I can't even reproduce that piece of punctuation on my keyboard; although it will copy and paste, look: ``

Fair play, fella. I'm in that game myself and had to go part time a few years back after losing the plot with stress. Hope it continues to go well.
(01-12-2018, 04:01 PM)I’m TRainbowTurnedEastStand Wrote: I feel really sorry for these teachers having the same holiday`s as the kids get and actually getting paid for it

You have no idea!!
(01-12-2018, 05:49 PM)Sidsockett Wrote:

Fair play, fella. I'm in that game myself and had to go part time a few years back after losing the plot with stress. Hope it continues to go well.

You coping ok now? I just don't know how older folk manage it full time any more. Very much  a young persons job these days but even they are leaving in droves. Really sad as it has such great moments.
(01-12-2018, 05:52 PM)WallofTrewick Wrote:
(01-12-2018, 05:49 PM)Sidsockett Wrote:

You coping ok now? I just don't know how older folk manage it full time any more. Very much  a young persons job these days but even they are leaving in droves. Really sad as it has such great moments.

I'm 41, and didn't start teaching until I was 32. Always wanted to give it a go so took the plunge after my kids were born as I mistakenly thought it would tie in well with family life! Slightly misjudged that; hands down the hardest job I've ever done. Doing 4 days a week now and coping!