Tactical Masterclass
The management certainly got it right yesterday. A big well done. Also in DM's post game interview where he was gracious in victory, contrast that with Smiths bitter whinging. Whether or not he becomes a decent manager, there is no doubt he is a class human being.
(02-16-2019, 07:02 PM)BombersFlask Wrote: Didn't really feel the need for us to be camped in our own half for the entire 2nd half with the team Villa had out.

Same here, job done but didn’t really understand why we invited them on to us for 45 minutes as they were shit

Jayrod was murdering them first half, so BD moved him out to the wing?

Can’t help thinking if we kept our 433 shape we would have still won the game comfortably and probably scored more, they really couldn’t live with us first half

Interesting BD showed a different side to his tactics mind 2nd half where it was result over performance so fair play to that

Cracking day against that fish eating rabble

Cuzer
With the way Villa have come back into games he wanted to make sure they huffed and puffed rather than put their backs against the wall, it worked.
(02-17-2019, 12:50 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: With the way Villa have come back into games he wanted to make sure they huffed and puffed rather than put their backs against the wall, it worked.

Agreed, Moore got the tactics spot on, the last thing we needed was to leave gaps as they piled forward. 

Plus the fact that we only had two fit forwards in a system that requires three. Yes we could've brought Montero on rather than Field but we were 2-0 up, we didn't need to take any chances.
It literally worked perfectly. It's a bit silly to suggest otherwise.

We could still be playing now and the score would be 2-0

(02-17-2019, 01:00 PM)Atomic Wrote: Plus the fact that we only had two fit forwards in a system that requires three. Yes we could've brought Montero on rather than Field but we were 2-0 up, we didn't need to take any chances.

This is a good point
(02-17-2019, 12:11 PM)Cuzer Wrote:
(02-16-2019, 07:02 PM)BombersFlask Wrote: Didn't really feel the need for us to be camped in our own half for the entire 2nd half with the team Villa had out.

Same here, job done but didn’t really understand why we invited them on to us for 45 minutes as they were shit

Jayrod was murdering them first half, so BD moved him out to the wing?

Can’t help thinking if we kept our 433 shape we would have still won the game comfortably and probably scored more, they really couldn’t live with us first half

Interesting BD showed a different side to his tactics mind 2nd half where it was result over performance so fair play to that

Cracking day against that fish eating rabble

Cuzer

We had to win yesterday.
One thing that has been over looked and I had to check twice that was our 5th clean sheet in the last 10 league games earlier this season we couldn't buy one, defo improving at the back despite the howlers imo.
(02-16-2019, 07:15 PM)Psalm23 Wrote: Better game management is exactly what we've been calling for, for weeks, they got it right today, well done to them.

(02-17-2019, 04:55 PM)TETLEY74 Wrote: One thing that has been over looked and I had to check twice that was our 5th clean sheet in the last 10 league games earlier this season we couldn't buy one, defo improving at the back despite the howlers imo.

5th on the bounce on our travels. They seem more nervous in front of the home 'fans'

Edit, 4th actually
I thought it was the most grown up tactics we have played all season. Whether it was by necessity of Kanu having to come off or simply a pragmatic decision to shut up shop and carry a threat on the break it matters not as it worked.

I have to say away from home our tactics are working a treat due the expectation that the home team should show ambition and attack. It would / may be interesting to see if teams change their tactics to how they play us at home to negate our ability when allowed space to play.

The next challenge is to come up with tactics that bring victories at home when teams don’t play as we want them to.
(02-17-2019, 07:46 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: I thought it was the most grown up tactics we have played all season. Whether it was by necessity of Kanu having to come off or simply a pragmatic decision to shut up shop and carry a threat on the break it matters not as it worked.

I have to say away from home our tactics are working a treat due the expectation that the home team should show ambition and attack. It would / may be interesting to see if teams change their tactics to how they play us at home to negate our ability when allowed space to play.

The next challenge is to come up with tactics that bring victories at home when teams don’t play as we want them to.

That's right. I wanted to go on and blow them out of the water but as you say, it was the grown up thing to do. Almost a Sir Gary type display.