Al talks sense shocker
What are the benefits of using dividends instead of PAYE these days for directors? I saw someone on the news last night saying that they haven't been looked after because they took their income through directors dividends - my initial reaction was 'tough shit' but are there any benefits?
(06-30-2020, 12:05 PM)baggy1 Wrote: What are the benefits of using dividends instead of PAYE these days for directors? I saw someone on the news last night saying that they haven't been looked after because they took their income through directors dividends - my initial reaction was 'tough shit' but are there any benefits?

You didn't used to pay Employee's and Employer's NI on dividends. Not sure if that has changed
That's as I remember it SM, but its been so long since I have looked at it. I also remember that paying lump sums in dividends reduced the amount of EE NI because of thresholds which made it attractive.

(06-30-2020, 10:46 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote: No cause for alarm it seems that Al's proposals are more Penn and Teller than FDR.

Again all promises but no delivery, it's interesting to see how easily the masses are fooled by big numbers. The 1 BILLION POUNDS (Austin powers style) announcement for schools doesn't come close to the estimated £6.7Bn required to get schools up to satisfactory standard from a 2017 NAO report, and forgets to mention that it was our good friend Michael Gove that canned the 'Building Schools for the Future' Program in 2010.
(06-30-2020, 12:26 PM)baggy1 Wrote: That's as I remember it SM, but its been so long since I have looked at it. I also remember that paying lump sums in dividends reduced the amount of EE NI because of thresholds which made it attractive.

(06-30-2020, 10:46 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote: No cause for alarm it seems that Al's proposals are more Penn and Teller than FDR.

Again all promises but no delivery, it's interesting to see how easily the masses are fooled by big numbers. The 1 BILLION POUNDS (Austin powers style) announcement for schools doesn't come close to the estimated £6.7Bn required to get schools up to satisfactory standard from a 2017 NAO report, and forgets to mention that it was our good friend Michael Gove that canned the 'Building Schools for the Future' Program in 2010.

How many billions did we cut from public sector budgets during the last ten years? 

Suddenly kids from poorer backgrounds are considered a priority after years where programs of support were cut. 

The police are now very important after thousands of jobs were lost... just as the nonsense about defund the police stuff is in the media.
(06-30-2020, 12:24 PM)strawman Wrote:
(06-30-2020, 12:05 PM)baggy1 Wrote: What are the benefits of using dividends instead of PAYE these days for directors? I saw someone on the news last night saying that they haven't been looked after because they took their income through directors dividends - my initial reaction was 'tough shit' but are there any benefits?

You didn't used to pay Employee's and Employer's NI on dividends. Not sure if that has changed

Dividends also used to be a way of deferring tax - particularly for owners of private companies. They could wait until a tax year had just ended and then (literally, the next day) take their dividend payments and not have to settle the tax until after the end of the new tax year.

I'm going back a while with that though, and I have an idea that particular loophole might have been closed some time ago.
Most ‘Directors’ Of a limited company will pay themselves a basic salary of say £9,000 and then take some as dividends. First £2,000 of dividends tax free and then 7.5% on the next £37,500. The salary part is deductible as a business expense as are employer pension contributions. In theory a Husband and Wife could draw say £100,000 out of a limited company with personal tax liability of say £5,625. Add in another £40,000 each of pension contributions as well. The saving in NI can be significant, not as big as it was but still a saving.
(06-30-2020, 12:48 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: How many billions did we cut from public sector budgets during the last ten years? 

Suddenly kids from poorer backgrounds are considered a priority after years where programs of support were cut. 

The police are now very important after thousands of jobs were lost... just as the nonsense about defund the police stuff is in the media.
Interesting.
So you would rather there not be a re investment in public infrastructure then?

So, do you not welcome disadvantaged children being considered a priority now then?

Expect you would rather a continuation of cuts so you can continue to bleat about 'austerity'.
Perhaps if he had promised "Free Fiber Optic Broad Band for everybody" in Auchtermuchty and "wiping out ALL student loans", you might have been a bit happier.
(06-30-2020, 01:46 PM)JOK Wrote:
(06-30-2020, 12:48 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: How many billions did we cut from public sector budgets during the last ten years? 

Interesting.

So, do you not welcome disadvantaged children being considered a priority now then?

Expect you would rather a continuation of cuts so you can continue to bleat about 'austerity'.
Perhaps if he had promised "Free Fiber Optic Broad Band for everybody" in Auchtermuchty and "wiping out ALL student loans", you might have been a bit happier.

Let's not paint this as extra spending, it's not even spending what should be spent. This is all about promises that will never be delivered or if you look closely enough promises of spending that is already being spent. £1Bn on schools when it is £6.7Bn (2017 figures) that is needed when there was already £600k promised last year - smoke and mirrors because there is no substance. Tories spending to save the country from Tory fuck ups in the past.

(06-30-2020, 02:15 PM)JOK Wrote:
(06-30-2020, 02:00 PM)baggy1 Wrote:

Interesting.

Let's not paint this as extra spending, it's not even spending what should be spent. This is all about promises that will never be delivered or if you look closely enough promises of spending that is already being spent. £1Bn on schools when it is £6.7Bn (2017 figures) that is needed when there was already £600k promised last year - smoke and mirrors because there is no substance. Tories spending to save the country from Tory fuck ups in the past.
So. do you want them to carry on making the F ups or 'Start' to redress those decisions of past leaderships?
How do you know, before the day is out that the promises will not be delivered?

Which past leaderships? Gove was the one that cut the Schools funding in the 1st place, or are you talking about the mop haired puppet - he hasn't made a decision in his life. 

And when I've seen dog chase it's tail for years I don't expect it to catch it any time in the future - past record is a very good indicator of future success.

Admit it JOK, this bunch are the most useless bunch of pricks going. I'll give you one prediction, Boris won't last until February 2021 - he's purely in place to get Brexit over the line, the powers behind the throne know he's a moron and are only making sure he finishes the one job he was brought in to do. When that's done he's toast.
(06-30-2020, 02:00 PM)baggy1 Wrote:

Interesting.

So. do you want them to carry on making the F ups or 'Start' to redress those decisions of past leaderships?
How do you know, before the day is out that the promises will not be delivered?
The answers above JOK - god knows how I managed to answer you before you posted  Big Grin

For examples of building projects that never get done look no further than an airport in the middle of the Thames, a garden bridge and a bridge linking Northern Ireland and Scotland (pre-borders in the sea)