Why I think O'Shea should start
One thing I've noticed from the last two games compared to earlier in the season has been the reluctance of the full backs and midfield to support the attack, there's a huge gap between two or three players and the rest of our team when we're in possession especially during a break. I think Hughton called up on this in in the commentary for the Brentford game. I don't think is due to personnel, the four players I'm piling most guilt here are Gibbs, Furlong, Sawyers and Livermore who have not been afraid in supporting the attack this season. One reason why I think this has happened is they're too worried in protecting the back four, it's no coincidence that we have played our best football having an asymmetric back four, effectively leaving a back three when we're in possession most of the time which offers a lot more freedom for the rest of the team to attack which in turn creates a lot more space for the attackers to do stuff as opposition players are drawn out to cover the higher volume of space. It also allows a lot more width as if teams decide to camp the box like Blues did then you've got more players available for the overlap, Livermore was doing an excellent job of this before the Swansea draw most noticeably against Millwall and when we went a goal down to Reading. If we put O'Shea back in then that balance would surely back as he's lot more defensively minded than Furlong, and unlike Brentford Livermore isn't best suited to slotting back into a three as Norgaard did against us.
It's only opinion of course.

However I fully believe O'Shea played Friday, that ball never comes across and they don't score.
Sawyers was the root cause of the problem on Friday, Brentford play one sitter and two advanved midfielders where we play two sitters and one advanced player, Pereira

This mean whenever Sawyers got the ball he was closed down and so deep all he could do was pass it sideways, hence why HRK was so isolated and we couldn't play through the lines

He was great v Blues who sat deep and let him play but when sides pressure him as Brentford did it really affects our ability to build attacks

The hope for Wednesday is Sheff will come at us a little on the back of their win yesterday and we may find space, I'd be tempted to go back to the 4-3-3 though as we've looked pretty poor in the 4-2-3-1 since we returned

Cuzer
Fisheatingdeludedsealwankers
(06-29-2020, 07:21 AM)Birdman1811 Wrote: It's only opinion of course.

However I fully believe O'Shea played Friday, that ball never comes across and they don't score.

Agreed
(06-29-2020, 08:32 AM)Cuzer Wrote: Sawyers was the root cause of the problem on Friday, Brentford play one sitter and two advanved midfielders where we play two sitters and one advanced player, Pereira

This mean whenever Sawyers got the ball he was closed down and so deep all he could do was pass it sideways, hence why HRK was so isolated and we couldn't play through the lines

He was great v Blues who sat deep and let him play but when sides pressure him as Brentford did it really affects our ability to build attacks

The hope for Wednesday is Sheff will come at us a little on the back of their win yesterday and we may find space, I'd be tempted to go back to the 4-3-3 though as we've looked pretty poor in the 4-2-3-1 since we returned

Cuzer

And my point is that if we had a more defence minded full back instead of Furlong then Sawyers and Livermore would have been further up the pitch due to the change in shape that could have been facilitated as has been used effectively this season. Ultimately though I think singling him out is poor as Phillips not tracking his man into the box (think it was Da Silva) was the reason we conceded, not Sawyers. If we go to a 4-3-3 and still have Furlong how would the issue over the defensive shape be addressed?

As for HRK, yes he was isolated but he was also dropping very deep which in turn allowed Brentford to restrict the space. Zohore seemed 10 yards in front of him when he came on and he wasn't blessed with much service either yet still threatened more and we looked a lot better in the second half.
Interesting we are playing with 2 attacking full backs, but neither are supporting the midfield.

We should revert to one attacking full back (Gibbs??) Who actually goes forward to support, leaving a solid 3 at the back, which should include O'Shea.

This would have suited the Selfish Cunt who has decided he would rather wear Claret and Blue next year.
(06-29-2020, 09:50 AM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote: Interesting we are playing with 2 attacking full backs, but neither are supporting the midfield.

We should revert to one attacking full back (Gibbs??) Who actually goes forward to support, leaving a solid 3 at the back, which should include O'Shea.

This would have suited the Selfish Cunt who has decided he would rather wear Claret and Blue next year.

Who dat? What have I missed pissing about on the politics bored?  Huh
(06-29-2020, 09:56 AM)baggy1 Wrote:
(06-29-2020, 09:50 AM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote: Interesting we are playing with 2 attacking full backs, but neither are supporting the midfield.

Nathan. Although Palace is hardly ‘claret’.
(06-29-2020, 09:58 AM)Dumbo Wrote:
(06-29-2020, 09:56 AM)baggy1 Wrote:

Nathan. Although Palace is hardly ‘claret’.

Thanks DB, that's a relief
For me the key change is bringing in Krov. He gives is more balance in midfield. Livermore looks much better when he plays. Krov also breaks up play higher up the pitch. The only downside is Sawyers sits deeper (despite his many assets tackling isn't one of them).
433 key for me. It allows our wide players far more space.
I would also have Brunt on the bench (for Harper). His experience to bring on either to help turn a game in our favour with his passing ability, or his experience to hold on to a lead, would be vital. He's not a 90 min man these days but 15/20 mins from the bench and he would be a real asset.