Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On the one hand places of culture
(12-07-2017, 11:05 PM)Dreamkiller Wrote:
(12-07-2017, 10:59 PM)Mancbaggie Wrote:
(12-07-2017, 10:56 PM)Dreamkiller Wrote:
(12-07-2017, 10:42 PM)cunninghamismagic Wrote:
(12-07-2017, 10:28 PM)spandaubaggie Wrote: Coventry as capital of culture is like making Susan Boyle Miss Uk!

Seems a bit of an excuse to pump some funds into shit holes. Hull, Liverpool, Glasgow,  Coventry...

I know someone who works for Stoke on Trent council, and he told me a few years ago that Stoke was on the verge of having billions spent on it, then the Hat bought Dave Kitson and the plans were scrapped. No reason for anyone on here to care about that, but it's frustrating for us. 

Edited for you pal

To be fair, if you gave our council responsibility for spending the funds they'd probably fritter it away on a 1,000 foot high statue of Pulis looking skyward towards an imaginary ball.

Big Grin
(12-07-2017, 03:48 PM)Donegal Wrote: But on the other.......
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42267503

Have the shortlisting panellists been looking at places we nominated as shitholes on this bored earlier in the year?

Swindon wasn’t nominated, so no.
It’s the fourth tier award for UK cities and that’s fair enough, (London)Derry and Hull have both benefitted. Coventry should benefit too.

The first tier award is an Olympic Games. London is the only UK city that has been able to compete at this level.

The second tier award is a Commonwealth Games. London, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Manchester and Glasgow. Absolutely desperate for Birmingham to win the bid for 2022 because our region is long overdue the opportunity to join the list.

The third tier award is a European Capital of Culture. Glasgow and Liverpool are the only UK cities to be awarded so far.

Fourth tier is the UK Capital of Culture. I’m pleased for Cov.

Overall, I sense that the West Midlands is about to get its moment in the sun. Cov 2021, Birmingham 2022, HS2 2026. World Indoors, HSBC, Channel 4.

If anyone at the club is reading this, I want to know if a strategy is being developed to capitalise on this potential shift of focus to the region? For example, if Brum wins 2022, why would Albion not seek to develop partnerships to promote the club’s World Class sports science department and the strength and conditioning expertise it can provide for athletes? Why would we not pigggyback the Games’ exposure to promote the club at the heart of the region? I dunno where the aquatic centre is likely to be built but apparently it will be somewhere in Sandwell. This is our patch and Albion should be all over it like a rash.

Anyone from the Assembly want to raise it?
(12-08-2017, 01:38 AM)Gewonenzow Wrote: It’s the fourth tier award for UK cities and that’s fair enough, (London)Derry and Hull have both benefitted. Coventry should benefit too.

The first tier award is an Olympic Games. London is the only UK city that has been able to compete at this level.

The second tier award is a Commonwealth Games. London, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Manchester and Glasgow. Absolutely desperate for Birmingham to win the bid for 2022 because our region is long overdue the opportunity to join the list.

The third tier award is a European Capital of Culture. Glasgow and Liverpool are the only UK cities to be awarded so far.

Overall, I sense that the West Midlands is about to get its moment in the sun. Cov 2021, Birmingham 2022, HS2 2026. World Indoors, HSBC, Channel 4.

If anyone at the club is reading this, I want to know if a strategy is being developed to capitalise on this potential shift of focus to the region? For example, if Brum wins 2022, why would Albion not seek to develop partnerships to promote the club’s World Class sports science department and the strength and conditioning expertise it can provide for athletes? Why would we not pigggyback the Games’ exposure to promote the club at the heart of the region? I dunno where the aquatic centre is likely to be built but apparently it will be somewhere in Sandwell. This is our patch and Albion should be all over it like a rash.

Jesus wept.
(12-08-2017, 02:18 AM)TheUnit Wrote:
(12-08-2017, 01:38 AM)Gewonenzow Wrote: It’s the fourth tier award for UK cities and that’s fair enough, (London)Derry and Hull have both benefitted. Coventry should benefit too.

Jesus wept.

Did he? Why?
(12-07-2017, 09:43 PM)Ed_Hopper Wrote:
(12-07-2017, 08:50 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(12-07-2017, 08:40 PM)Futility Ed_Hopper Wrote: ‘Culture’ is so vague-every city has a culture-nonsense like this is the epitome of futility!

Why? It gives people an opportunity to experience things they may never known they liked. It gives a region a shot in the arm financially and puts it in the national spotlight. Hull seems to have benefitted from the year long event. Futility is people not having the imagination to embrace opportunities.
Yeah, alright then...

I rest my case.