Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On the one hand places of culture
(12-07-2017, 08:40 PM)Futility Ed_Hopper Wrote: ‘Culture’ is so vague-every city has a culture-nonsense like this is the epitome of futility!

Why? It gives people an opportunity to experience things they may never known they liked. It gives a region a shot in the arm financially and puts it in the national spotlight. Hull seems to have benefitted from the year long event. Futility is people not having the imagination to embrace opportunities.
(12-07-2017, 08:50 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(12-07-2017, 08:40 PM)Futility Ed_Hopper Wrote: ‘Culture’ is so vague-every city has a culture-nonsense like this is the epitome of futility!

Why? It gives people an opportunity to experience things they may never known they liked. It gives a region a shot in the arm financially and puts it in the national spotlight. Hull seems to have benefitted from the year long event. Futility is people not having the imagination to embrace opportunities.
Yeah, alright then...
(12-07-2017, 09:43 PM)Ed_Hopper Wrote:
(12-07-2017, 08:40 PM)Futility Ed_Hopper Wrote: ‘Culture’ is so vague-every city has a culture-nonsense like this is the epitome of futility!

Yeah, alright then...

Arf.
(12-07-2017, 10:11 PM)Choronzonbaggie Wrote:
(12-07-2017, 09:43 PM)Ed_Hopper Wrote:

Yeah, alright then...

Arf.

Very good news for the Midlands and of course Coventry as it really is quite a desperate place in many ways. Hope it improves the area.
Coventry as capital of culture is like making Susan Boyle Miss Uk!
(12-07-2017, 10:28 PM)spandaubaggie Wrote: Coventry as capital of culture is like making Susan Boyle Miss Uk!

Seems a bit of an excuse to pump some funds into shit holes. Hull, Liverpool, Glasgow,  Coventry...
(12-07-2017, 10:42 PM)cunninghamismagic Wrote:
(12-07-2017, 10:28 PM)spandaubaggie Wrote: Coventry as capital of culture is like making Susan Boyle Miss Uk!

Seems a bit of an excuse to pump some funds into shit holes. Hull, Liverpool, Glasgow,  Coventry...

We'll that's exactly what it is. You don't seriously think these places are really voted as bone fide cultural capitals do you?

It's a pity they need an excuse. I've no idea how these things work, but when you see how much money gets pumped into some places (Liverpool and Cardiff spring to mind but there are plenty more), while others are left to rot, it can leave you with a bit of a sick feeling in your stomach.

I know someone who works for Stoke on Trent council, and he told me a few years ago that Stoke was on the verge of having billions spent on it, then the financial crisis hit in 2008 and the plans were scrapped. No reason for anyone on here to care about that, but it's frustrating for us. 

Good luck to Coventry. It sounds like they're desperately in need too. I hope they make the most of it.

(12-07-2017, 10:56 PM)Dreamkiller Wrote:

I know someone who works for Stoke on Trent council, and he told me a few years ago that Stoke was on the verge of having billions spent on it, then the Hat bought Dave Kitson and the plans were scrapped. No reason for anyone on here to care about that, but it's frustrating for us. 

Edited for you pal
(12-07-2017, 10:59 PM)Mancbaggie Wrote:
(12-07-2017, 10:56 PM)Dreamkiller Wrote:

I know someone who works for Stoke on Trent council, and he told me a few years ago that Stoke was on the verge of having billions spent on it, then the Hat bought Dave Kitson and the plans were scrapped. No reason for anyone on here to care about that, but it's frustrating for us. 

Edited for you pal

To be fair, if you gave our council responsibility for spending the funds they'd probably fritter it away on a 1,000 foot high statue of Pulis looking skyward towards an imaginary ball.