Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A trip to 'little Albion' for yours truly
As some of you may recall I ordered the complete home kit for my lad's whose birthday it is this week. I wanted to pick it up last week when I was over at a funeral at Rowley Regis Crem. My plan was pop into the shop and get the name put on the back and then go off to the funeral. The club shop messed it up and just sent it to me by post so the back of it is bare.
I've tried to get his name and number on the back and thought i'd succeeded as my local Sports Direct said yesterday they'd do it, but I've now just had a phone call saying they won't and will refund the money I handed over yesterday and give the shirt back. The point is as the shirt wasn't bought from there then if they damaged it they couldn't replace it. I do sympathise with their predicament.
So I'm left with no alternative, but have a 48 mile round the motorway trip taking out a couple of hours during my working week, as we are such a small minded club we can't possibly think it'd be right to sell West Bromwich Albion shirts anywhere other than within a 5 mile radius of the ground out of two outlets. 
OK, I don't live in the Outer Hebrides, but not being able to get a shirt here in a slightly further outpost of the W Mids (Solihull), when I can get Everton's away kit, plus also Panathinaikos and  a host of other random foreign clubs says it all. 
And we wonder why our support base isn't growing after 8 years in the Prem and being the only W Mids club in the world's most lucrative league.
Getting to the root of 'little Albion' mindset isn't too much of a mystery.
You ought to pop to JD Sports at the airport as you are close, both home and away for sale there.

Oh, you do have to be going somewhere though as it's air-side !
(12-06-2017, 01:01 PM)supamart Wrote: Oh, you do have to be going somewhere though as it's air-side !

That's ok. He's a complete air soul.
(12-06-2017, 12:59 PM)spandaubaggie Wrote: So I'm left with no alternative, but have a 48 mile round the motorway trip taking out a couple of hours during my working week,

Whenever I’m feeling a bit fed up with my lot or think that life is treating me a bit unfairly I only have to read harrowing tales like this to put it all into perspective.
(12-06-2017, 01:15 PM)Baggie66 Wrote:
(12-06-2017, 12:59 PM)spandaubaggie Wrote: So I'm left with no alternative, but have a 48 mile round the motorway trip taking out a couple of hours during my working week,

Whenever I’m feeling a bit fed up with my lot or think that life is treating me a bit unfairly I only have to read harrowing tales like this to put it all into perspective.

Arf!

A real tear-jerker isn't it. It brings it all home - there's always someone far worse off than oneself! How will he cope? Especially at Christmastime - the timing couldn't have been more awful.

I tried to put a smiley in here. It didn't work. Then I tried to edit the post to put the smiley in. That still didn't work. Now I've had to go to a lot of effort in explaining just what went wrong.

You're right B66. Life can be unfair at times (smiley face).

Our whole commercial operation is shite. I don't think Spandau has tried to make it out that he's too hard done by, but I can sympathise with the frustration as many of us have busy lives.
There is an endemic small-mindedness about Albion and I wonder if we actually sold the shirts more widely would we actually see more of them in Birmingham, Solihull etc. 
The correlations between this and the Crystal Palace thread are striking.
It's slowly getting better, I noted a month or so ago that you could buy our shirt in JD's on Oxford St.

Not being able to get one in Birmingham City Centre however is fuggin criminal.
(12-06-2017, 01:24 PM)Duffmon Wrote: It's slowly getting better, I noted a month or so ago that you could buy our shirt in JD's on Oxford St.

Not being able to get one in Birmingham City Centre however is fuggin criminal.
True enough. It's like we dare not encroach on Blues or Villa territory. Both are in the doldrums but we can't seem to capitalise.

I'm going to set up a JustGiving page I think.