RLB sacked
Hi Pertensio
Calm down.
(06-27-2020, 08:53 PM)strawman Wrote:

Quite.
(06-26-2020, 04:51 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(06-26-2020, 12:41 PM)bradesbaggie Wrote: Criticising Israel is not anti-Semitic. It's like saying being critical of apartheid South Africa was anti-white.

The other Semites in the region, the Palestinians, don't get a look in.

Maxine Peake stated in the article that “The tactics used by the police in America, kneeling on George Floyd’s neck, that was learnt from seminars with Israeli secret services.”

This is an exceptionally politically charged statement to make in the current climate, and is also a lie. It's a classic anti-semitic trope.

I'll tell you what else is a classic antisemitic trope- the term cultural marxism, which centres around a conspiracy theory that Marxist scholars of the Frankfurt School in inter-war  Germany devised a manipulative programme of progressive policies with the aim of undermining western democracies. Many of these scholars were jewish.
(06-29-2020, 11:59 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote: I'll tell you what else is a classic antisemitic trope- the term cultural marxism, which centres around a conspiracy theory that Marxist scholars of the Frankfurt School in inter-war  Germany devised a manipulative programme of progressive policies with the aim of undermining western democracies. Many of these scholars were jewish.

No it isn't. The modern definition of cultural Marxism could be summarised as the collectivist application of Marxist class warfare along a far broader spectrum of identities, such as race, gender, and sexuality, as opposed to solely along class lines with the aim of undermining western democracies. What else would you like me to call it?
(06-29-2020, 12:21 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(06-29-2020, 11:59 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote: I'll tell you what else is a classic antisemitic trope- the term cultural marxism, which centres around a conspiracy theory that Marxist scholars of the Frankfurt School in inter-war  Germany devised a manipulative programme of progressive policies with the aim of undermining western democracies. Many of these scholars were jewish.

No it isn't. The modern definition of cultural Marxism could be summarised as the collectivist application of Marxist class warfare along a far broader spectrum of identities, such as race, gender, and sexuality, as opposed to solely along class lines with the aim of undermining western democracies. What else would you like me to call it?

Tell that to the Board of deputies of British Jews - when Suella Braverman used that phrase last year they said she should clarify what she meant and promise not to use the phrase again.
(06-29-2020, 01:13 PM)Shabby Russian Wrote:

Tell that to the Board of deputies of British Jews - when Suella Braverman used that phrase last year they said she should clarify what she meant and promise not to use the phrase again.

I clarified what I meant, and would use the term again until someone comes up with a better description.
(06-29-2020, 04:18 PM)Protheroe Wrote:

I clarified what I meant, and would use the term again until someone comes up with a better description.

I really would advise against that. This time last week i had not consciously come across the term, but then you used it and it appeared in an article about how Nigel Farage was increasingly concerning jewish groups in the use of his language.
It piqued my interest and i did about of research into it.

It is in the main used by alt right types on the internet, mainstream right politicians and parties do not use and for good reason, they want to avoid being tarred with the brush of indulging in antisemitic conspiracy theories. Notable users of the term have been people like Brevik and the Christchurch massacre murderer, not people i would want to be associated with.

As many people on the left have found to their cost it is quite easy to inadvertently indulge in antisemitic tropes and conspiracy theories (and yes some on the left do it deliberately). And from previous posts you have made i don't think you are antisemitic - on the Annelka/quennelle issue you probably spoke more sense than most - so i would urge you to at least do a little bit of research yourself . It might save yourself some future embarrassment if you ever wanted to get more involved in politics e,g running for office.
(06-30-2020, 07:34 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote:
(06-29-2020, 04:18 PM)Protheroe Wrote:

I really would advise against that. This time last week i had not consciously come across the term, but then you used it and it appeared in an article about how Nigel Farage was increasingly concerning jewish groups in the use of his language.

It is in the main used by alt right types on the internet, mainstream right politicians and parties do not use and for good reason, they want to avoid being tarred with the brush of indulging in antisemitic conspiracy theories. Notable users of the term have been people like Brevik and the Christchurch massacre murderer, not people i would want to be associated with.

As many people on the left have found to their cost it is quite easy to inadvertently indulge in antisemitic tropes and conspiracy theories (and yes some on the left do it deliberately). And from previous posts you have made i don't think you are antisemitic - on the Annelka/quennelle issue you probably spoke more sense than most - so i would urge you to at least do a little bit of research yourself . It might save yourself some future embarrassment if you ever wanted to get more involved in politics e,g running for office.

You see the term used all the time on Twitter’s political threads recently, accompanying what the users name is on Parler, the right wing echo-chamber of choice.
(06-30-2020, 07:34 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote: I really would advise against that. This time last week i had not consciously come across the term, but then you used it and it appeared in an article about how Nigel Farage was increasingly concerning jewish groups in the use of his language.

Precisely, this time last week you'd not come across the term.

I expect Nigel Farge reckons he's a 'liberal', yet I'd hate to be perceived as a 'liberal' in the Farage mould. I expect Niklas Anelka reckons he's a good Muslim, but would hate to be perceived as a Muslim in the Salman Abedi mould.

It's nuance you see. Twitter is incapable of it, which is why politicians (and anyone else really) ought to stay off it. Leave it to the extremes of left and right, and cat pictures.

I have nothing to fear from future embarrassment as I've no intention of ever running for office, and my days in active politics are pretty much over now I've resigned from the Tories.