Culture Wars
This is a set of emergency remedies though (whether or not you, I, or anyone else agree if they're the right choices). This isn't a sustainable equilibrium between state and private sector which - and this is my personal opinion, by the way - is the only workable model for a functioning social democracy.

It's all about balance: there's no necessity to choke the life out of enterprise, or punitively tax individuals (an argument, by the way, we shouldn't even still be having). But neither should multinational corporations be allowed to continue to take obvious liberties, or the landowning community - much of it non-domicile - benefit from large-scale upwards redistribution of wealth.

With the right political will, this is an opportunity to reconfigure. I would do it differently from many on the right, but I don't see a unifying figure, or philosophy, out there on either side.

Edit: Reply to Protheroe, by the way
(06-22-2020, 11:01 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Your at a loss why we supported so many people during a pandemic you mean?

No, that's not what I mean. Everything you consider "centre left" was in place pre-pandemic.
(06-22-2020, 11:25 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(06-22-2020, 11:01 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Your at a loss why we supported so many people during a pandemic you mean?

No, that's not what I mean. Everything you consider "centre left" was in place pre-pandemic.

You think having laws on prohibiting child labour and various working conditions (such as minimum wages and working hours) means that we have a centre left government?

How about you describe a right or right of centre government so we can compare? 

You could even answer the questions I asked previously with regards to what you would have done differently that didn’t throw people under the financial or health bus over the last few months?
(06-22-2020, 12:39 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:

How about you describe a right or right of centre government so we can compare? 

You could even answer the questions I asked previously with regards to what you would have done differently that didn’t throw people under the financial or health bus over the last few months?

No Dekka. That isn't how this works. You made a series of statements about what a centre left policy programme would look like.

All of that programme is in place under a Conservative government - unless you're going to argue against FACTS.
Nothing matters if you are centre or far, left or right, liberal, tory or labour if the incumbents are completely useless at everything. They can't deliver on anything and just lie to cover up their failings and then have the brass balls to bullshit it out with mumbling flag waving bollox.

Until we get a system that calls out the lying, cheating and embezzlement of public funds then we will be fucked whichever way the peasants revolt towards. Keep them busy fighting each other seems to be the current mobs mantra, and there are fools that defend it. They are fiddling whilst we burn.
(06-23-2020, 08:14 AM)baggy1 Wrote: They are fiddling whilst we burn.

Doesn't alter the fact that everything Dekka cites as centre left is in place under a Tory government. And most of it working rather well.

You know I agree with you about how useless government (generally) is, but Dekka's policy programme is in place. No amount of deflection can alter that fact.
(06-23-2020, 08:17 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(06-23-2020, 08:14 AM)baggy1 Wrote: They are fiddling whilst we burn.

Doesn't alter the fact that everything Dekka cites as centre left is in place under a Tory government. And most of it working rather well.

You know I agree with you about how useless government (generally) is, but Dekka's policy programme is in place. No amount of deflection can alter that fact.

Answer the questions what you would have done differently and give an example of right of centre government so we can compare and contrast. You campaigned for a useless, truth twisting government own it rather than trying to run away from it.

Btw there is nothing centre left that supports giving millions / billions without proper tendering, allowing an advisor to be above scrutiny or sanction whilst receiving undemocratic power, trying at various stages to throw NHS staff, scientists and teachers under the bus, or ignoring the protection of those shielding to deflect from the awful mess they made and of things since the election.
Keep taking the money derek .
(06-23-2020, 09:35 AM)The liquidator Wrote: Keep taking the money derek .

I’m working I said I was when you last started this nonsense. Don’t pretend to be friendly with me and then get personal.