Almost 4 years since the referendum
What the hell has been achieved?

4 years of stagnation across the board. Education, Health, Crime, Environment.

What a complete waste of time and money it's been. And we've probably another 5 before it's all unentangled.
You could ask what is better since 2010...

Nope can’t think of anything in fact I’d argue we have regressed socially and culturally and now in all probability economically. A divided, angry country desperately trying to stay relevant in world that is looking at us in disbelief / laughs at us as we mimic Trumpian US.

But what about that plane with the flag on it eh! That’ll bring back the good old days!
Blue(ish passports)
I'd say the authoritarian left is winning the culture war at the moment.

The Tory Party looks less conservative than it has done at any time since 1974.

Brexit is the only good thing to have emerged for our democracy in the last decade.
(06-18-2020, 11:06 AM)Protheroe Wrote: I'd say the authoritarian left is winning the culture war at the moment.

Brexit is the only good thing to have emerged for our democracy in the last decade.

That democracy being the biggest bullshitter gets the most votes. Makes me proud
(06-18-2020, 11:06 AM)Protheroe Wrote: I'd say the authoritarian left is winning the culture war at the moment.

I would agree on your first point with the huge caveat, that the authoritarian left isn't winning, just people are. I feel that each new generation that comes along are more tolerant than the one that went before and to mind that's a good thing. I can give an illustration of this, when I attended secondary school in the 70s -  a relatively tame comprehensive school in a reasonably well off - no one came out as being gay, it just wouldn't have been acceptable. Compare to my 16 year old's current school where there are a number of children who are trans gender and seem to be accepted as such by their peers.

As for the Conservative Party I think you are right, it is very different from its 1974 incarnation.

As for Brexit time will tell what impact it will have, but it certainly has not been good for democracy, I would argue the complete opposite. With the one exception, as an issue, it did get people more engaged in politics, which is always a good thing.  But certainly I don't see in this Government and those who supported Brexit any friends of democracy or the democratic process.
(06-18-2020, 11:20 AM)baggy1 Wrote:

That democracy being the biggest bullshitter gets the most votes. Makes me proud

If only the tories had offered everybody, everything they want for free they could have swung a big margin....
3 votes
3 wins

Suck it up
"the authoritarian left is winning the culture war" = "It's less and less socially acceptable to be a bigoted twat"

Fine by me. "the left" (whoever they are) have been called crybabies etc for 4 years but who's spitting their dummy out now.
(06-18-2020, 08:11 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: But what about that plane with the flag on it eh! That’ll bring back the good old days!

Ah yes, The Mile High Spaffing thread,

Good to see you using another non story for your usual fixated rants.

Jet aircraft have to be repainted very 4 to 10 years. (Boing suggest every 4). This has to be done to comply with the aircraft’s ‘D’ check. 
The Voyager Air Tankers, of which this is one, have been in service since 2012. So it is probably due for a re spray soon anyway.
Still, the Guardian, the Inde and Angry Voice condemn it so...
https://www.boeing.com/commercial/aeroma...01txt.html

https://aviation.stackexchange.com/quest...ft-painted