Almost 4 years since the referendum
(06-18-2020, 03:08 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(06-18-2020, 11:53 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote: I feel that each new generation that comes along are more tolerant than the one that went before.

I couldn't agree less. I think the current generation is the least tolerant in my lifetime.

Conform to cultural Marxism or be cancelled doesn't scream tolerance to me. Quite the opposite.

I increasingly find echoes of a Orwellian dystopia these days.

I'm not sure what cultural Marxism is, but I doubt it is all pervasive. Or more importantly something that young people are particularly attracted to.
(06-18-2020, 08:11 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: You could ask what is better since 2010...

Nope can’t think of anything in fact I’d argue we have regressed socially and culturally and now in all probability economically. A divided, angry country desperately trying to stay relevant in world that is looking at us in disbelief / laughs at us as we mimic Trumpian US.

But what about that plane with the flag on it eh! That’ll bring back the good old days!

Do you think think there would be less division if people accepted the result of the referendum and the general election? 

It's amusing that you see no connection between the above and the schism that exists.
(06-18-2020, 03:15 PM)ChamonixBaggie Wrote: Perhaps you should do some reading around the Tolerance Paradox and why we shouldn't tolerate intolerance. If you still feel the same way then you're just intransigent and there's no helping you. We'll be over here on the right side of history.

The problem with Popper's idea here is that if every act of intolerance is not tolerated then we end up with a world where there is literally 0 tolerance.

(06-18-2020, 11:20 AM)baggy1 Wrote:
(06-18-2020, 11:06 AM)Protheroe Wrote: I'd say the authoritarian left is winning the culture war at the moment.

The Tory Party looks less conservative than it has done at any time since 1974.

Brexit is the only good thing to have emerged for our democracy in the last decade.

That democracy being the biggest bullshitter gets the most votes. Makes me proud

Remain lied way, way more than leave did.
(06-18-2020, 11:46 PM)Neil Parsley Wrote:
(06-18-2020, 08:11 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: You could ask what is better since 2010...

Nope can’t think of anything in fact I’d argue we have regressed socially and culturally and now in all probability economically. A divided, angry country desperately trying to stay relevant in world that is looking at us in disbelief / laughs at us as we mimic Trumpian US.

But what about that plane with the flag on it eh! That’ll bring back the good old days!

Do you think think there would be less division if people accepted the result of the referendum and the general election? 

It's amusing that you see no connection between the above and the schism that exists.

Of course there is a connection have I have said said otherwise.

Did you or those you support accept being in Europe? 

I can’t do much about the Voteleave Government but why should I embrace what they stand for or get behind it? It has made little or no effort to bring people together or compromise or just be honest. 

Also very difficult to get behind a government / party that has embraced division as it modus operandi to get where they are.
(06-19-2020, 07:12 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:

Of course there is a connection have I have said said otherwise.

Did you or those you support accept being in Europe? 

I can’t do much about the Voteleave Government but why should I embrace what they stand for or get behind it? It has made little or no effort to bring people together or compromise or just be honest. 

Also very difficult to get behind a government / party that has embraced division as it modus operandi to get where they are.
So you are responsible for the division you are blaming others for then? What effort have you made to be conciliatory?  Over the last 4 years I haven’t noticed you moderate your intemperate language.

Overwhelmingly people have accepted the GE result and the referendum. If they hadn't there would be presumably be widescale rioting and insurrection.

People can still articulate opposition to both the Govt and the referendum result. Countless GE results which returned Govts who were in favour of remaining in the EU, didn't stop people from campaigning to leave the EU and nor should it have done.
(06-19-2020, 07:43 AM)JOK Wrote: So you are responsible for the division you are blaming others for then? What effort have you made to be conciliatory?  Over the last 4 years I haven’t noticed you moderate your intemperate language.

I'm surprised he's so intemperate when the current government is giving him virtually everything he wants (see Culture Wars thread).
(06-19-2020, 10:42 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(06-19-2020, 07:43 AM)JOK Wrote: So you are responsible for the division you are blaming others for then? What effort have you made to be conciliatory?  Over the last 4 years I haven’t noticed you moderate your intemperate language.

I'm surprised he's so intemperate when the current government is giving him virtually everything he wants (see Culture Wars thread).

So what did you want the government not to give at this current time? 

Free meals for disadvantaged kids?
Financial support for business, freelance and PAYE?
Support for those shielding?
Protection for frontline staff in the NHS and Care sector? 
Ignore or criticise the BLM protests?

Isn’t this what any government be they blue, red, orange or polka dot would do to help their citizens at a time of crisis that had nothing to do with them?
(06-19-2020, 11:06 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Isn’t this what any government be they blue, red, orange or polka dot would do to help their citizens at a time of crisis that had nothing to do with them?

I don't see why you're constantly complaining then. You have everything you want.
(06-19-2020, 11:17 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(06-19-2020, 11:06 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Isn’t this what any government be they blue, red, orange or polka dot would do to help their citizens at a time of crisis that had nothing to do with them?

I don't see why you're constantly complaining then. You have everything you want.

Problem is Proth that all of those arrive after the cabinet realise there isn't any way of not providing / granting them. They have to be dragged to every decision with the exception of Furlough. They follow not lead and that is shocking for any govt, but taken with the complete buffoonery of their almost daily gaffs we are being led by idiots.