Rashford 1 - Gov 0
Well done Marcus Rashford, you are someone the country can be proud and of. Can you be Prime Minister please? 

I deleted the other thread as it was going to get canned I suspect.
Gone way up in my estimation even for a manure player, well done lad.
Tells you a) how out of touch the tory's are and b) how reactionary and populist they are.

The later point irks me most. You can't have a govt reacting daily to what joe bloggs footballer says just because he's got a few headlines. A govt should be committed to it's principles and it's programme of reforms. That £150m will come out of someone else's pocket and whilst I don't disagree it's a good thing the problem is it doesn't tackle the underlying problem - it just passes the problem off as solved and gets a few headlines
(06-17-2020, 07:45 AM)billybassett Wrote: Tells you a) how out of touch the tory's are and b) how reactionary and populist they are.

The later point irks me most. You can't have a govt reacting daily to what joe bloggs footballer says just because he's got a few headlines. A govt should be committed to it's principles and it's programme of reforms. That £150m will come out of someone else's pocket and whilst I don't disagree it's a good thing the problem is it doesn't tackle the underlying problem - it just passes the problem off as solved and gets a few headlines

That’s the trouble with a populist government it will always react to what they think will make them popular with their base support. Which is the Voteleave types. It won’t matter if they are right or wrong it’ll whether they can appeal to them whilst dividing the rest of is to squabble amongst ourselves.

My only hope is Voteleave types are going through a midlife crisis and are currently trying to squeeze into some skinny jeans whilst doubling down to wear a denim jacket at the same time. At some point they might realise they look ridiculous, everyone else is laughing at them and they need to grow old gracefully.
Matt Hancock this morning called Marcus Rashford "Daniel Rashford" - now, everyone makes mistakes but this is virtually every fucking day now that one of the bumbling idiots running our country is caught out blustering and bullshitting through an interview.

The one thing these daily briefings has shown us is how inept our leadership is at public speaking and getting the basic details right.
(06-17-2020, 09:15 AM)baggy1 Wrote: Matt Hancock
I have always considered Matt Hancock to be the very worst sort of politician. He was Osborne's bitch during the Referendum Campaign when day after day he'd hysterically repeat the latest Project Fear bollocks from the idiot Osborne's playbook. Amongst many volte-faces in the Tory Party since the Brexit vote his stands out as the worst, there is not a thing he wouldn't do to cling to some form of office. An odious unprincipled little man completely out of his depth.
That said, I don't agree that it's the government's role to feed kids when they can't even educate them.

A hugely fucked up sense of priorities, and the introduction of FSM over holiday periods will end up like the winter fuel allowance - impossible to withdraw.

(06-17-2020, 09:06 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Voteleave Types.
As a Vote Leave type, I can safely assure you that little the government is doing right now appeals to us. Apart from telling Barnier to do one of course.
(06-17-2020, 09:44 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(06-17-2020, 09:15 AM)baggy1 Wrote: Matt Hancock
I have always considered Matt Hancock to be the very worst sort of politician. He was Osborne's bitch during the Referendum Campaign when day after day he'd hysterically repeat the latest Project Fear bollocks from the idiot Osborne's playbook. Amongst many volte-faces in the Tory Party since the Brexit vote his stands out as the worst, there is not a thing he wouldn't do to cling to some form of office. An odious unprincipled little man completely out of his depth.
That said, I don't agree that it's the government's role to feed kids when they can't even educate them.

A hugely fucked up sense of priorities, and the introduction of FSM over holiday periods will end up like the winter fuel allowance - impossible to withdraw.

(06-17-2020, 09:06 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Voteleave Types.
As a Vote Leave type, I can safely assure you that little the government is doing right now appeals to us. Apart from telling Barnier to do one of course.

Well it’s hugely unappealing to those that aren’t Voteleave types so that leaves the cult of Boris types and?
(06-17-2020, 09:44 AM)Protheroe Wrote: Apart from telling Barnier to do one of course.

And that in a nutshell is why we are in this mess. Vote leave was one agenda item that people were so desperate to get through they ignored the lies and bluster around it. Even when the final point will be at best "it won't make much difference" all of that was ignored to get their way.

Lo and behold after a campaign built on bullshit we find ourselves with a leadership that don't know how to do anything else. Their only focus is to get to the 31st December to get us out of the EU and they will then pack it all in. They were hoping to get away with it before they could retire to their after dinner speaking and NED positions with their mates they've helped out but a situation arose that needed leadership - They've been found out.
(06-17-2020, 10:06 AM)baggy1 Wrote:
(06-17-2020, 09:44 AM)Protheroe Wrote: Apart from telling Barnier to do one of course.

And that in a nutshell is why we are in this mess. Vote leave was one agenda item that people were so desperate to get through they ignored the lies and bluster around it. Even when the final point will be at best "it won't make much difference" all of that was ignored to get their way.

Lo and behold after a campaign built on bullshit we find ourselves with a leadership that don't know how to do anything else. Their only focus is to get to the 31st December to get us out of the EU and they will then pack it all in. They were hoping to get away with it before they could retire to their after dinner speaking and NED positions with their mates they've helped out but a situation arose that needed leadership - They've been found out.

So true. Good post.

Just to a wider point the past few years have shown that our whole political / electoral system is not fit for purpose. I could rant on but let's face it wim absolutely fookin doomed, it's a total shit shower and we've got a bunch of absolute self serving, egocentric, media panderers in charge and nowt's gonna change soon.
(06-17-2020, 11:19 AM)billybassett Wrote:
(06-17-2020, 10:06 AM)baggy1 Wrote:

So true. Good post.

Just to a wider point the past few years have shown that our whole political / electoral system is not fit for purpose. I could rant on but let's face it wim absolutely fookin doomed, it's a total shit shower and we've got a bunch of absolute self serving, egocentric, media panderers in charge and nowt's gonna change soon.

As someone who votes Lib Dem predominantly on the issue of electoral and constitutional reform, I assume by the past few years you mean the past 150 years? It's always been apparent to me that we don't have a fair democratic structure in this country and never have had one, the reason the Conservatives haven't died or split the way they would have done in any other country is the they keep gaming the system.