Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting article
Apologies if already posted. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/04/sunda...IntlAudDev
Similar worshipping of a past that didnt quite exist, much like the brexit campaign.

We are no nearer leaving the EU than we were 15 months ago
For a long time now I've thought that if we could just somehow see ourselves as a group of islands off the coast of Belgium we'd probably be more at peace; with others as well as ourselves.
Let’s be honest the reason we are in a mess is squarely down to the Tories. Putting their own parties interests before the countries best interests. We are getting dragged along by a Daily Mail narrative dressed up as ‘the people’s will’.
(11-22-2017, 11:20 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Let’s be honest the reason we are in a mess is squarely down to the Tories.

It was the Russians last week. Make your mind up.
(11-23-2017, 07:49 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(11-22-2017, 11:20 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Let’s be honest the reason we are in a mess is squarely down to the Tories.

It was the Russians last week. Make your mind up.

I never said anything about the Russians
My mistake.

Can I ask what sort of mess you think we'd be in if McDonnell had the keys to the Treasury?

Everything is relative you see. #LeastWorst
(11-23-2017, 07:55 AM)Protheroe Wrote: My mistake.

Can I ask what sort of mess you think we'd be in if McDonnell had the keys to the Treasury?

Everything is relative you see. #LeastWorst

The reason that we have such an extreme opposition is a reaction to your parties policies. For every action there is a reaction and the opposite side to the coin to McDonnell, Abbott and Corbyn is Gove, Boris and Mogg etc
Hahahhahaha.

This the most interventionist centrist soup of a Tory administration I can remember. The opposition has merely drifted over the horizon. There's nothing extreme about the Tory position, more's the pity.
Yes, decent article. The impression I get is that people in Europe are somewhat bewildered by the UK. Clearly the place is not that significant any longer, and likely to become less so as the country's trading relationships are adjusted and other extra-European economies grow more quickly.

There's a lot of resentment towards the EU in Europe, so Brexit strikes a chord at one level. However, people wonder about the timing, with Putin and Xi in the east challenging every notion of western individual and economic rights, the US evidently becoming less reliable a trade ally with its trade allies, Australia, New Zealand, and Canada re-orientating towards the rump TPP, and the Indian Prime Minister insisting on immigration for free trade, so there's pause for thought. It seems to be a particularly perilous time: Britain's relative position is eroding and the external climate worsening.

Going back to folk abroad, they seem to shrug their shoulders, acknowledge that the British have always been touched, and quietly appreciate the easier working relationship in the EU--even though many worry at the loss of an ally and the linguistic ramifications of the loss of the major sponsor of English as defacto official Eu language.