Schools
(06-20-2020, 11:28 AM)Ossian Wrote:
(06-20-2020, 10:21 AM)fuzzbox Wrote: It shows how we can all get blinded by a smart man who is a good communicator.

That still doesn't explain Trump or Johnson though, Fuzzbox.

I think both are smarter than most people give them credit for.  I would say Johnson's biggest strength is that he knows his limitations. Trumps is that he thinks he has no limitations! 

As communication goes, both know their audiences and are smart enough to keep their message simple.

As you imply, both are extraordinarily bad choices, which millions of people endorsed.

(06-20-2020, 11:56 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Oddly I’ve found the biggest critics of TP bend over backwards to defend Johnson and co.

MY biggest problem with Pulis was his dishonesty (Which, I believe, I'm legally allowed to say!).

That messes up the logic of your theory!
(06-19-2020, 05:05 PM)JOK Wrote:
(06-19-2020, 03:59 PM)baggy1 Wrote:
(06-19-2020, 03:44 PM)JOK Wrote:
(06-19-2020, 02:16 PM)baggy1 Wrote: The downside to any form of homeschooling or rota'd schooling is the child will need a parent at home, meaning that parent can't go to work. The benefit here is that we could make a step towards the Tory 1950s dream and have the mothers stay at home putting an end to all of that equality burning bras malarky and blame it all on covid and the unions, win win.

Come on now B1, I think you’ve contracted Dekkaitis. What Tory members of the government have suggested or expressed a desire to reel back on female equality?

Big Grin  I think you might be taking this a bit too seriously. tbh JOK the govt are such a shambles now it's become embarrassing. 

The serious point I would make is as much as getting the kids back into school is everything we want the govt are paralysed in making any decision. They don't want to be the ones to say just do it because if it goes wrong they are exposed. The 1st stage on any govt policy these days is 'cover your arse', there are no leaders in there at all but we got what we voted for.

And before you ask I would:

Provide protective environments for teachers and restrict the staff to those under 50
Ensure rigorous cleaning is available for all schools to be implemented between each class period
Provide weekly testing for teachers in schools
Provide better online teaching options for all secondary schools (let's buy it off the shelf this time instead of developing a 'world beating' one)
Stagger start and leave times by years
Implement weekend schooling (to further aid staggered teaching)
Increase Teacher Training options and pay to make it more attractive
Increase Teacher pay

I'm sure there are more but that's off the top of my head.
That’s the first lot of concrete suggestions I have seen on here.
Always said teachers should have bullet proof screens around their desks.  Big Grin 
Cleaning between lessons? How would that work? You would need far to many cleaners and it would probably reduce period times drastically.
Deffo weekly teacher testing.
Online Teaching. An ex colleague, a very good teacher, told me the school or the parents were unable to get half the pupils to engage. Most need to have face to face time.
Staggered times, a must.
Weekend lessons. Teachers aren’t going to be keen on that, even for overtime. 
Doesn’t matter how attractive you make teaching look, the high drop out before 5 years will still happen. More support and backing from SLT and more pertinently, from parents regarding behaviour and engagement essential.
Increase pay for post NQTs (this could partly financed in MATs  by reducing head teachers and CEOs salaries)

Most school buildings could have One Way systems. 
Ensure ALL children bring in their own equipment.
Tricky one; staff stationed at Toilet doors. The Behaviour and unsanitary ways of some kids you wouldn’t believe.
Masks. (I think we should all wear masks in public places anyway)

Buses, marking (unless books are left for 48 hours perhaps), practical lessons and resources/ text books would be problems.

Just think....Crop Rotation and the Young Ones in University Challenge..... Leave some classrooms fallow through parts of the day to enable a great cleaning regime! Should be do-able in many schools and help make it safer for the kids and staff.
(06-23-2020, 08:29 PM)FenlandBoing Wrote: Just think....Crop Rotation and the Young Ones in University Challenge..... Leave some classrooms fallow through parts of the day to enable a great cleaning regime! Should be do-able in many schools and help make it safer for the kids and staff.
Surely that would mean leaving a classroom ‘fallow’ for every other lesson? I can assure you it is difficult enough to find a place whenever a room change is required on occasions. You would also need full time cleaners. No school has double the room capacity than it needs.
Observation most of the comments on this thread haven’t got a clue how modern schools are set out, work and what is and isn’t practical. Try asking the teachers and support staff rather than reading snippets in the newspaper or remembering yesteryears.
(06-24-2020, 10:28 AM)JOK Wrote:
(06-23-2020, 08:29 PM)FenlandBoing Wrote: Just think....Crop Rotation and the Young Ones in University Challenge..... Leave some classrooms fallow through parts of the day to enable a great cleaning regime! Should be do-able in many schools and help make it safer for the kids and staff.
Surely that would mean leaving a classroom ‘fallow’ for every other lesson? I can assure you it is difficult enough to find a place whenever a room change is required on occasions. You would also need full time cleaners. No school has double the room capacity than it needs.
Sorry, I meant also from a starting point of not all the kids being in the school at the same time of course. For secondary schools focus should be on year 12 and 10 so they are prepared properly for their exams the following year.
(06-19-2020, 03:59 PM)baggy1 Wrote:
(06-19-2020, 03:44 PM)JOK Wrote:
(06-19-2020, 02:16 PM)baggy1 Wrote: The downside to any form of homeschooling or rota'd schooling is the child will need a parent at home, meaning that parent can't go to work. The benefit here is that we could make a step towards the Tory 1950s dream and have the mothers stay at home putting an end to all of that equality burning bras malarky and blame it all on covid and the unions, win win.

Come on now B1, I think you’ve contracted Dekkaitis. What Tory members of the government have suggested or expressed a desire to reel back on female equality?

Big Grin  I think you might be taking this a bit too seriously. tbh JOK the govt are such a shambles now it's become embarrassing. 

The serious point I would make is as much as getting the kids back into school is everything we want the govt are paralysed in making any decision. They don't want to be the ones to say just do it because if it goes wrong they are exposed. The 1st stage on any govt policy these days is 'cover your arse', there are no leaders in there at all but we got what we voted for.

And before you ask I would:

Provide protective environments for teachers and restrict the staff to those under 50
Ensure rigorous cleaning is available for all schools to be implemented between each class period
Provide weekly testing for teachers in schools
Provide better online teaching options for all secondary schools (let's buy it off the shelf this time instead of developing a 'world beating' one)
Stagger start and leave times by years
Implement weekend schooling (to further aid staggered teaching)
Increase Teacher Training options and pay to make it more attractive
Increase Teacher pay

I'm sure there are more but that's off the top of my head.

More or less what was happening at my school here until someone found some more covid-19 in the fish market at the government closed everything down again. Although wasn't ideal was a lot better than teaching online. I work at a private international School (every kid has a laptop parents all in a whatsapp group with the child's teacher for daily uodates) and we still have engagement issues with kids so can't imagine how public schools in England have been doing. We took the kids temperatures throughout the day and Staggered break times so generally one year group didn't ever interact with another.
Taken from the BBC website, it’s not quite so clear cut as some are making out...

He said the decision to close non-essential retail was based on clinical advice, and added that "children had been particularly impacted" by the local outbreak and the risk of Covid-19 being transmitted by children is the reason why schools will be closed.
"To be clear, children have very, very low risk of suffering from Covid themselves but we have been looking at the proportion of children who have tested positive and therefore may be transmitting the disease," he said. 
Five Leicester schools have closed since the beginning of June because of the number of coronavirus cases and the wider closures from Thursday will affect most pupils, but children of "critical workers" and those classed as vulnerable will still be able to attend.