Cooking Clique.
(01-17-2023, 11:35 AM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:
(01-10-2023, 09:15 PM)Calgary_Baggie Wrote:
(01-10-2023, 09:13 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:
(01-10-2023, 09:11 PM)Calgary_Baggie Wrote:
(01-10-2023, 09:03 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote: Agree with methi & coriander stems.  Methi I tend to only use in butter chicken.  

Go to the Indian supermarkets to find the Indian bay leaves (a lot longer and slimmer than Mediterranean variety). But even they stick the Mediterranean variety also, so be careful which you pick up.

They are totally different. Even Indian grocers only stock the Mediterranean ones. Never seen them on Soho Road or Sparkbrook. 

[Image: shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-Gd736TefT3ITEwHZu...k&usqp=CAc]

Notice the three veins. Very distinctive.

You can buy them in Sparkbrook.

Name the shop. I'll personally go over there. Not that I don't believe you!

Hi Nick,

I’m about to head over to Sparkbrook and whilst going through my storage container, containing all my spices I decide to double check on the 3 veins.  Doh!!  The pack I last bought from Sparkbrook didn’t have the 3 veins, but the pack I bought in Brick Lane some years ago do. Hence I knew I had some but they weren’t purchased from Sparkbrook.    

I will have a look out for the 3 vein variety when I’m having a mooch for all the other bits I need, such as more paprika* and methi.  

*I know you can buy this in any supermarket, but I always buy a large bag for a hell of a lot less than buying it in small jars.   Same with dried mixed herbs and dried oregano.  As it’s a lot cheaper, you aren’t tempted to use less and throw handfuls in to the food.  I watched one cookery program the once and they mentioned this fact, that people wouldn’t want to use all of the jar of spice they’ve just bought in a dish. As a result, the dish is lacking in flavour.  I throw handfuls of oregano and mixed herbs in a large bolognese.

Let me know - I've never seen them for sale in a shop. I end up over spending online. Don't get me wrong, you can do without but I just think they add a little something when you fry them in oil or dry roast and grind them  as part of a masala.
(01-17-2023, 02:04 PM)Calgary_Baggie Wrote:
(01-10-2023, 09:13 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:
(01-10-2023, 09:11 PM)Calgary_Baggie Wrote: They are totally different. Even Indian grocers only stock the Mediterranean ones. Never seen them on Soho Road or Sparkbrook. 

[Image: shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-Gd736TefT3ITEwHZu...k&usqp=CAc]

Notice the three veins. Very distinctive.

You can buy them in Sparkbrook.

Hi Nick,

I’m about to head over to Sparkbrook and whilst going through my storage container, containing all my spices I decide to double check on the 3 veins.  Doh!!  The pack I last bought from Sparkbrook didn’t have the 3 veins, but the pack I bought in Brick Lane some years ago do. Hence I knew I had some but they weren’t purchased from Sparkbrook.    

I will have a look out for the 3 vein variety when I’m having a mooch for all the other bits I need, such as more paprika* and methi.  

*I know you can buy this in any supermarket, but I always buy a large bag for a hell of a lot less than buying it in small jars.   Same with dried mixed herbs and dried oregano.  As it’s a lot cheaper, you aren’t tempted to use less and throw handfuls in to the food.  I watched one cookery program the once and they mentioned this fact, that people wouldn’t want to use all of the jar of spice they’ve just bought in a dish. As a result, the dish is lacking in flavour.  I throw handfuls of oregano and mixed herbs in a large bolognese.

Let me know - I've never seen them for sale in a shop. I end up over spending online. Don't get me wrong, you can do without but I just think they add a little something when you fry them in oil or dry roast and grind them  as part of a masala.

I went in 3 of the large supermarkets and none of them had the ones with the 3 veins.
I told you I’ll be back
(01-17-2023, 03:02 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:
(01-10-2023, 09:13 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote: You can buy them in Sparkbrook.

Hi Nick,

I went in 3 of the large supermarkets and none of them had the ones with the 3 veins.

Thought as much.

They'e like rocking horse shite.
Prawn Curry and Garlic Naan in West Brom, swilled down with copious amounts of beer. First pint ordered.
(01-17-2023, 03:02 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:
(01-10-2023, 09:13 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote: You can buy them in Sparkbrook.

Hi Nick,

Thank you for looking, by the way.

Beef rib Nihari with chapatti tonight! 

What we all had?