Drains and property thoughts
Right folks, here's another no-football conundrum to ask about.
We've a silver birch tree that is about 10 yards from the back door and my neighbour on one side reckons it is at a point where the roots could interfere with the sewer pipe that runs under the house and would affect a row of houses.
He said this as he had to have a drain inspection for some proposed work and the engineer said no imminent issue, but it might be an idea to lift our patio and cut a few of the roots and that it should be done by Severn Trent according to the engineer.
Incidentally, my neighbour loves the tree and it impacts on him as much as us. Meanwhile the neighbour on the other side reckons it is fine. He had a drain inspection about 18 months ago as he had an extension.
Now my brother, who works in planning inspection reckons the best thing to do is to get rid of the tree and that'll stop the roots, but don't really want to do this.
My concern is my insurance won't cover it if it buggers up the pipe. I'm reticent about checking with my insurer as it'll flag up that I'm aware. However, I don't want the garden fecked up unnecessarily- we have a nice intricate cobble stone patio.
Just wondering do any of you know of a history of such issues as I feel I'm really unaware how to approach this in the best and most cost-effective way and really would rather a stitch in time resolution.
From what I have read it's Severn Trent's issue, but if any of you have had similar I'd be interested in your views.
First thing check with the local authority that you can ( if you want ) get rid of the tree.
I’m no expert but 10 yds seems a good distance away from the houses to be much bother, we had two birch topped off last year and they’re only about 15 ft from the house, they’re about 9in diameter if that helps. 
The tree man never mentioned they were a hazard but he was a dingle Big Grin
How big's the tree? Quick google suggests that the roots go to 1.5 times the BRANCHES.

Also, Severn Trent have different rules to many companies, I'm told, about whose responsibility it is. At the point it becomes a shared waste pipe it appears to be their problem

https://www.stwater.co.uk/my-supply/wast...nsibility/

Also, whilst not strictly relevant to the question in hand, if you ever get a blocked waste pipe ALWAYS CALL YOUR WATER COMPANY FIRST. They'll send out a subby who will inspect to see where the block is, normally using a camera and, in the two times it's happened to me, they've cleared the blockage (on my land) for free. Treat 'em nice and give 'em a coffee and biscuit... if they don't remove it then you've not lost own - time to call a dirty plumber.
I'd just stick a camera down then every year or so tbh.
I would move house  Big Grin
Inject beavers into the drains to eat the roots.
Job done, and you get to re-wild.
(06-05-2020, 03:36 PM)Pneumann Wrote: Inject beavers into the drains to eat the roots.

And they'd throw in a garden pond for free.
(06-05-2020, 03:39 PM)Ossian Wrote:
(06-05-2020, 03:36 PM)Pneumann Wrote: Inject beavers into the drains to eat the roots.

And they'd throw in a garden pond for free.
Right!
If it's bothering you that much cut the tree down and use the wood to make garden furniture. Off set your carbon footprint and ease your mind by planting one or two silver birch saplings. By the time they reach full maturity you'll probably have already left this mortal coil and the newer roots will be somebody else's problem. Job done.