This afternoon's Birmingham "Protest"
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember any protests or March's when Dalian Atkinson was tasered and died two years ago. 

One of the two police officers involved has been charged with murder and the other GBH. I don't remember reading any racial narrative in it either.

What happened in America was truly awful and the police officers involved need prosecuting but I'm sorry I just don't get why we are protesting in this country about it. 

Like I said above why weren't there protests over here regarding Atkinson? Killed by two white police officers after alledgedly using unnecessary force.
Totally agree Peachy which is why I questioned why LFC got involved. Surely protesting about how China fucked up the world with Covid would make more sense.
(06-04-2020, 02:22 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: Is it just me, but why the hell are we having these protests at a time when we are told to social distance!
Also as there's no American Embassy in Brum to stand outside what's the point? This is America's problem.

Take that coat of white privilege off and have a look around. Educate yourself. Windrush, report into affects of COVID-19 on our BAME community, UK Police figures - 1700 deaths in Police custody since 1990 & not one single Police arrest etc., etc. Then there’s the history lesson re: who actually exported systemic racism in the first place but that would take an age

Yes this shocking incident happened in the US, but let’s stop kidding ourselves there is nothing wrong in the UK
(06-05-2020, 06:43 AM)Stevel Knievel Wrote: Take that coat of white privilege off and have a look around.

It's very important that you hate yourself, otherwise you're racist.

Jeez, the state of this narrative.
(06-04-2020, 08:54 PM)Peachy Wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember any protests or March's when Dalian Atkinson was tasered and died two years ago. 

One of the two police officers involved has been charged with murder and the other GBH. I don't remember reading any racial narrative in it either.

What happened in America was truly awful and the police officers involved need prosecuting but I'm sorry I just don't get why we are protesting in this country about it. 

Like I said above why weren't there protests over here regarding Atkinson? Killed by two white police officers after alledgedly using unnecessary force.

Perhaps asking Black and Asian people why they are protesting may provide you with the answers.
(06-05-2020, 07:45 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(06-05-2020, 06:43 AM)Stevel Knievel Wrote: Take that coat of white privilege off and have a look around.

It's very important that you hate yourself, otherwise you're racist.

Jeez, the state of this narrative.

Except that wasn't the poster's narrative; or are you really so lacking in nuance that you can't draw a distinction between self-loathing and a spot of introspection now and again?
(06-05-2020, 06:43 AM)Stevel Knievel Wrote:
(06-04-2020, 02:22 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: Is it just me, but why the hell are we having these protests at a time when we are told to social distance!
Also as there's no American Embassy in Brum to stand outside what's the point? This is America's problem.

Take that coat of white privilege off and have a look around. Educate yourself. Windrush, report into affects of COVID-19 on our BAME community, UK Police figures - 1700 deaths in Police custody since 1990 & not one single Police arrest etc., etc. Then there’s the history lesson re: who actually exported systemic racism in the first place but that would take an age

Yes this shocking incident happened in the US, but let’s stop kidding ourselves there is nothing wrong in the UK

And whilst these are all valid points, now is not the time to do it as we risk a second spike of an incurable disease that has killed 50K people in this country and counting.

They too are innocent victims, and many more are threatened by the moronic actions of a selfish few.

Go and protest all you like when we have a vaccine. I may even come and join you.
(06-05-2020, 07:51 AM)Ossian Wrote: Except that wasn't the poster's narrative; or are you really so lacking in nuance that you can't draw a distinction between self-loathing and a spot of introspection now and again?

It's completely the narrative. This narrative has been rammed down the throat of the last two generations.

Let me be absolutely clear. I'll defend the the death the rights of oppressed people to protest. The murder of George Floyd is yet another stain on American history.

The UK has nothing even remotely approaching the appalling racial history of the States, in fact we're by far the most tolerant and integrated nation on Earth. So when asked to "check my privelege" I look at the motivations of those saying it - by and large they're the same people who look at every debate through the jaundiced prism of race, class or gender based victimhood. They try to drive a wedge to divide us.

Don't believe me? Come on a night out with black, asian and gay Tories and they'll tell you everything you need to know about this.
(06-05-2020, 08:13 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(06-05-2020, 07:51 AM)Ossian Wrote: Except that wasn't the poster's narrative; or are you really so lacking in nuance that you can't draw a distinction between self-loathing and a spot of introspection now and again?

It's completely the narrative. This narrative has been rammed down the throat of the last two generations.

Let me be absolutely clear. I'll defend the the death the rights of oppressed people to protest. The murder of George Floyd is yet another stain on American history.

The UK has nothing even remotely approaching the appalling racial history of the States, in fact we're by far the most tolerant and integrated nation on Earth. So when asked to "check my privelege" I look at the motivations of those saying it - by and large they're the same people who look at every debate through the jaundiced prism of race, class or gender based victimhood. They try to drive a wedge to divide us.

Don't believe me? Come on a night out with black, asian and gay Tories and they'll tell you everything you need to know about this.

That must be a very small section of a Venn diagram.
Anti-Trump and Black Lives is one of the same. No arrests or trouble last night and 4,000 attended. BLM. Fuck you if you think differently.

(06-05-2020, 06:43 AM)Stevel Knievel Wrote:

This.

(06-04-2020, 06:59 PM)baggiebloke Wrote:
(06-04-2020, 06:51 PM)4-hero Wrote:
(06-04-2020, 06:05 PM)baggiebloke Wrote: as was massive Baggies fan Joe Lycett.

He still thought Darren Moore was our manager on Radio 5 live the other day

He probably thinks it's Dave Moore.

Or Tom Moore