Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
After TP
(11-14-2017, 10:28 PM)Foo Fighters Wrote:
(11-14-2017, 10:18 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(11-14-2017, 10:06 PM)Dreamkiller Wrote:
(11-14-2017, 09:52 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(11-14-2017, 09:31 PM)Dreamkiller Wrote: You've been steadfast in supporting him from day one (in my time on here) Derek, and credit to you for it. The only point I'd question is your comment about playing the right way. Gives the impression that you'll back any style of play so long as it's successful, yet you often have a dig at teams playung tippy-tappy or tika-taka football, even those that were above or more succassful than the Albion. 

I'm tempted to think you prefer a more ugly pragmatic style of play, and would choose that over what most of us would see as a more aesthetically pleasing style, even if the end position in the league was likely to be the same.

I find possession football particularly at a slow pace really tedious. I found the way Brent Rodgers Swansea played dull as dishwater for example. Pass, pass, pass back to the keeper then rolled out to centre half repeat ad nausea. I’d still go to games if Rodgers rolled up at B71 with a sackful of envelopes and a book of philosophical bollocks though. 

I like fast counter attacking football like Mourinho’s early Championship winning Chelsea played. I can also enjoy a battling Wimbledon against a tedious Liverpool team for example. 

Results are the main thing set against resources which is why over the course of this season my support for TP has waned. 

I take issue with people who demand a certain style and if they don’t get it act like a petulant child taking their ball home (not attending). Or fans who acted like disciples of Mowbray cheering us to relegation because we played the ‘right’ way.  Because one doesn’t seem like support to me and the latter was just small time.

I used to feel really jealous of that Swansea team because of their ability to keep possession. I agree about the fannying around they did around their own goal, and funnily enough, Pulis usually changed his game to press them strongly around their own box rather than the usual inviting them on to us that he did with every other team. We looked a lot better for it too. 

In general though, I'd much rather watch my team with the ball than the opposition - Stoke's possession stats under Hughes are now becoming eerily reminiscent of those under Pulis and I'm not enjoying that either.

As for the people staying away because of Pulis, I understand why you'd see that as possibly being disloyal. I can only say that I've stuck with Stoke mostly through thin and thinner since 1974, and the only time I've really felt like deserting them was because of Pulis. 

I don't see myself as a fairweather fan. There's just something about that style of football that turns many, many supporters away. Go easy on them. Even die-hards have their reasons. It's not cheap if you're not enjoying it.

I think growing up in the late 80-90s has made me realise that it could be worse and I’m suspicious of those that say they followed us all through those years when 10k less at least suggests they may not.

They were shit times football wise but the atmosphere and banter was better and at least we went to games thinking we might win.

The atmosphere was wank - there weren't enough to create a decent atmosphere. The football was woeful and there was just as much, if not more, moaning. But times were simpler then and without the pressures of modern-day living and, more notably, we were all a great deal younger and more carefree with less responsibility. Thus the whole matchday experience was better.
(11-14-2017, 10:37 PM)Choronzonbaggie Wrote:
(11-14-2017, 09:52 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: I find possession football particularly at a slow pace really tedious. I found the way Brent Rodgers Swansea played dull as dishwater for example. Pass, pass, pass back to the keeper then rolled out to centre half repeat ad nausea. I’d still go to games if Rodgers rolled up at B71 with a sackful of envelopes and a book of philosophical bollocks though. 

I like fast counter attacking football like Mourinho’s early Championship winning Chelsea played. I can also enjoy a battling Wimbledon against a tedious Liverpool team for example. 

Results are the main thing set against resources which is why over the course of this season my support for TP has waned. 

I take issue with people who demand a certain style and if they don’t get it act like a petulant child taking their ball home (not attending). Or fans who acted like disciples of Mowbray cheering us to relegation because we played the ‘right’ way.  Because one doesn’t seem like support to me and the latter was just small time.

I used to feel really jealous of that Swansea team because of their ability to keep possession. I agree about the fannying around they did around their own goal, and funnily enough, Pulis usually changed his game to press them strongly around their own box rather than the usual inviting them on to us that he did with every other team. We looked a lot better for it too. 

In general though, I'd much rather watch my team with the ball than the opposition - Stoke's possession stats under Hughes are now becoming eerily reminiscent of those under Pulis and I'm not enjoying that either.

As for the people staying away because of Pulis, I understand why you'd see that as possibly being disloyal. I can only say that I've stuck with Stoke mostly through thin and thinner since 1974, and the only time I've really felt like deserting them was because of Pulis. 

I don't see myself as a fairweather fan. There's just something about that style of football that turns many, many supporters away. Go easy on them. Even die-hards have their reasons. It's not cheap if you're not enjoying it.

I think growing up in the late 80-90s has made me realise that it could be worse and I’m suspicious of those that say they followed us all through those years when 10k less at least suggests they may not.

They were shit times football wise but the atmosphere and banter was better and at least we went to games thinking we might win.

The atmosphere was wank - there weren't enough to create a decent atmosphere. The football was woeful and there was just as much, if not more, moaning. But times were simpler then and without the pressures of modern-day living and, more notably, we were all a great deal younger and more carefree with less responsibility. Thus the whole matchday experience was better.

+1

(11-14-2017, 10:23 PM)Dreamkiller Wrote: Just out of interest Derek, I know your thoughts about Hughes, but what was your view on Lou Macari and his Stoke team?

Bunch of clogging thugs that always beat us Wink
(11-14-2017, 10:43 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(11-14-2017, 10:06 PM)Dreamkiller Wrote: I used to feel really jealous of that Swansea team because of their ability to keep possession. I agree about the fannying around they did around their own goal, and funnily enough, Pulis usually changed his game to press them strongly around their own box rather than the usual inviting them on to us that he did with every other team. We looked a lot better for it too. 

+1

(11-14-2017, 10:23 PM)Dreamkiller Wrote: Just out of interest Derek, I know your thoughts about Hughes, but what was your view on Lou Macari and his Stoke team?

Bunch of clogging thugs that always beat us Wink

We were awesome and you know it!  Big Grin

(11-14-2017, 09:52 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: I find possession football particularly at a slow pace really tedious. I found the way Brent Rodgers Swansea played dull as dishwater for example. Pass, pass, pass back to the keeper then rolled out to centre half repeat ad nausea. I’d still go to games if Rodgers rolled up at B71 with a sackful of envelopes and a book of philosophical bollocks though. 

Sorry, disagree.

What was the night game when in the SME we kept singing “let’s pretend we scored a goal”?  And then we all cheered to an imaginary goal. Even though we were losing 2 or 3 nil at the time.  This
Continued again and again. Then we chanted “we want 10” and “easy, easy” 

Sorry, but those days were more fun