Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
After TP
(11-14-2017, 07:27 PM)Dreamkiller Wrote:
(11-14-2017, 04:18 PM)Baggie66 Wrote: It’s a no from me.
I’d take Martin O’Neill mind if he fancied another crack at club management, on condition that twat Keane didn’t come with him though.

I'm surprised you'd see O'Neill as an attractive proposition. 

He was seen as almost as big a dinosaur as Pulis when we were looking for a replacement in 2013. He didn't pull up any trees at Sunderland, chickened out of the Europa League with Villa in exactly the same way Pulis did with us, and generally plays dull football. He's McLeish on springs.

You have a point mate, I guess the vast majority here wouldn’t want him, I just think there are no real stand out candidates that would appear to be a safe pair of hands.
He had a good record at Villa and even though he’s a bit of a loose cannon at times he will still know the premier league well.
As the resident pessimist I still think it has to be safety first this season, somebody like O’Neill would be an option for me, slightly less pragmatic than Pulis but retaining the work ethic and discipline that could be vital to keep us up.
If Ireland qualify tonight he wouldn’t jump ship this season anyway.
(11-14-2017, 07:58 PM)Baggie66 Wrote:
I’d take Martin O’Neill mind if he fancied another crack at club management, on condition that twat Keane didn’t come with him though.

He was seen as almost as big a dinosaur as Pulis when we were looking for a replacement in 2013. He didn't pull up any trees at Sunderland, chickened out of the Europa League with Villa in exactly the same way Pulis did with us, and generally plays dull football. He's McLeish on springs.

You have a point mate, I guess the vast majority here wouldn’t want him, I just think there are no real stand out candidates that would appear to be a safe pair of hands.
He had a good record at Villa and even though he’s a bit of a loose cannon at times he will still know the premier league well.
As the resident pessimist I still think it has to be safety first this season, somebody like O’Neill would be an option for me, slightly less pragmatic than Pulis but retaining the work ethic and discipline that could be vital to keep us up.

I can see where you're coming from, and to a degree I'm guilty of seeing West Brom in similar terms to us when Pulis left. 

I always thought we had it in us to be more than just survival seekers and couldn't understand why others were wetting themselves at the thought of losing Pulis' protective powers. 

Fact is though that even in the four years since he left, the game's moved on, and not in a good way. Now any one of the teams outside the top six could slip out of the league if they have a bad run. There's not a gnat's chuff between any of us.

Money at the top has made it safety first at the bottom. We'll all bore ourselves rigid if it carries on.

O'Seal would  be as poor as Pulis.
(11-14-2017, 08:13 PM)Dreamkiller Wrote:
(11-14-2017, 07:58 PM)Baggie66 Wrote:

I can see where you're coming from, and to a degree I'm guilty of seeing West Brom in similar terms to us when Pulis left. 

I always thought we had it in us to be more than just survival seekers and couldn't understand why others were wetting themselves at the thought of losing Pulis' protective powers. 

Fact is though that even in the four years since he left, the game's moved on, and not in a good way. Now any one of the teams outside the top six could slip out of the league if they have a bad run. There's not a gnat's chuff between any of us.

Money at the top has made it safety first at the bottom. We'll all bore ourselves rigid if it carries on.

Sad but true mate. We’ve all seen in the play off games over the last few days how easy it is for the importance of not losing to stiffle the life out of the football. A lot of the coaches at the top know it’s far easier to set a team up to destroy than it is to set one up to create.

You’ve been here a while now DK, you have watched us go through a lot of the same arguments I guess you were all having a few years ago, is the end game for Pulis here playing out in the same way it did at your place or have you been surprised how quickly he’s gone from being accepted by the majority to being halfway out the door ?
From memory the transition on the Oatcake from 65/35 in favour to 95/5 against, happened over a couple of months or so. 

The amusing thing was that the key turning point came when a total Pulista decided to run a poll in the strong belief that there was only a small minority of gobshites against him. The poll showed the overwhelming majority wanted him gone. Some believed that it was this poll that made the board realise it wouldn't be the unpopular decision they'd thought if they got rid. I like to think I'd played some small part in the matter.  Big Grin

On here it turned from most of you pragmatically if not exactly joyously backing him to almost total contempt in the space of two matches. I always knew the ones who were genuinely backing him and those that were just trying to be even handed - I'd been there. It was always just a matter of time before they gleefully reverted to their default positions. 

The main difference between him being given so much time and leeway on the Oatcake was obviously because of what he'd achieved. There was a sense of not wanting to be disloyal to a man that had taken us to the Prem and a Cup Final (fuckin' unthinkable). There are no such ties on here.

Got to admit it's been fascinating watching the similarities and differences as they've unfolded while I've been on here.

(11-14-2017, 08:49 PM)Dreamkiller Wrote: From memory the transition on the Oatcake from 65/35 in favour to 95/5 against happened over a couple of months or so. 

The amusing thing was that the key turning point came when a total Pulista decided to run a poll in the strong belief that there was only a small minority of gobshites against him. The poll showed the overwhelming majority wanted him gone. Some believed that it was this poll that made the board realise it wouldn't be the unpopular decision they'd thought if they got rid. I like to think I'd played some small part in the matter.  Big Grin

On here it turned from most pragmatically if not exactly joyously backing him to almost total contempt in the space of two matches. I always knew the ones who were genuinely backing him and those that were making a show of being even handed - I'd been there. It was always just a matter of time before they gleefully reverted to their default positions. 

The main difference between him being given so much time and leeway on the Oatcake was obviously because of what he'd achieved. There was a sense of not wanting to be disloyal to a man that had taken us to the Prem and a Cup Final (fuckin' unthinkable). There are no such ties on here.

Got to admit it's been fascinating watching the similarities and differences as they've unfolded while I've been on here.

I think that’s spot on, he had definitely built up more credits at your place, as you say this meant it took longer for the majority to turn.
Must admit a few of us were still with him until very recently, just a few games ago, his stubbornness and refusal to see what is blatantly obvious has cost him the last bits of support he had. All that said though he has got results when he’s been backed into a corner before, unlikely as it is now it wouldn’t half put the cat amongst the pigeons  Smile
Perhaps not even stubborn, just intending to get out somehow
(11-14-2017, 08:49 PM)Dreamkiller Wrote: From memory the transition on the Oatcake from 65/35 in favour to 95/5 against, happened over a couple of months or so. 

On here it turned from most of you pragmatically if not exactly joyously backing him to almost total contempt in the space of two matches. I always knew the ones who were genuinely backing him and those that were just trying to be even handed - I'd been there. It was always just a matter of time before they gleefully reverted to their default positions. 

My rationale was simple was he a positive influence on our club? Yes. Is he now? Arguably not. Will results determine his stay? Of course. Did I give a flying fuck about playing the ‘right’ way? No because that’s a load of old cobblers.
(11-14-2017, 09:04 PM)Baggie66 Wrote:
(11-14-2017, 08:49 PM)Dreamkiller Wrote: From memory the transition on the Oatcake from 65/35 in favour to 95/5 against happened over a couple of months or so. 

On here it turned from most pragmatically if not exactly joyously backing him to almost total contempt in the space of two matches. I always knew the ones who were genuinely backing him and those that were making a show of being even handed - I'd been there. It was always just a matter of time before they gleefully reverted to their default positions. 

I think that’s spot on, he had definitely built up more credits at your place, as you say this meant it took longer for the majority to turn.
Must admit a few of us were still with him until very recently, just a few games ago, his stubbornness and refusal to see what is blatantly obvious has cost him the last bits of support he had. All that said though he has got results when he’s been backed into a corner before, unlikely as it is now it wouldn’t half put the cat amongst the pigeons  Smile

The difference this time, and the reason I now think he's more likely to go, is that those results when he's needed them just haven't happened. 

He was always a spawny git when it came to getting lucky breaks. It was ridiculous the number of times the fans would be calling for certain players to be picked to no avail. We'd go behind, then we'd pick up injuries during the game, Pulis would bring on the subs and we'd win the game with the team the fans would have picked in the first place. Then MotD would hail him for having the tactical nous to change things round.  Dodgy

It's not happening now.

(11-14-2017, 04:47 PM)zendog10 Wrote:

I must admit, when I originally mentioned M O'Neill, I was swayed by Evans's eulogising, I hadn't considered twat Keane .. I didn't think it through  Confused

Getting your M O’Neills mixed up there bud