EFL Statement
(05-21-2020, 03:30 PM)Borin\ Baggie Wrote:
(05-21-2020, 03:11 PM)steviedm Wrote: Apparently we’ll vote to play on. Turkeys do vote for Christmas after all.

Good, obviously this is the biggest threat to our promotion chances but it's the only fair way to finish the season and I'll be happy if we keep to our principles unlike the select Premier League clubs acting purely in self interest.

Principles are great and, all things being equal, I too would hope we vote to play on and then cruise to the the title. However, the real world will surely intervene. The choice will be this: vote one way and it's likely the club's short term ambitions will be met, millions of pounds of income secured and the jobs of staff, both playing and non-playing, secured. Or vote another way and put that in jeopardy. It's true to say that clubs acting with flagrant self-interest (such as Brady who was bleating before the first bodies were buried) have shown absolutely no class, but cute PR could ensure a line around safety is developed once the inevitable spike in infections happens in the next few weeks. The decision needs to be unemotional, rational and taken in the best interests of the football club. And that being the case, I'd be amazed if the club ultimately votes for anything other than an early finish.
Very true, Stevie
(05-21-2020, 05:14 PM)steviedm Wrote:
(05-21-2020, 03:11 PM)steviedm Wrote: Apparently we’ll vote to play on. Turkeys do vote for Christmas after all.

Good, obviously this is the biggest threat to our promotion chances but it's the only fair way to finish the season and I'll be happy if we keep to our principles unlike the select Premier League clubs acting purely in self interest.

Principles are great and, all things being equal, I too would hope we vote to play on and then cruise to the the title. However, the real world will surely intervene. The choice will be this: vote one way and it's likely the club's short term ambitions will be met, millions of pounds of income secured and the jobs of staff, both playing and non-playing, secured. Or vote another way and put that in jeopardy. It's true to say that clubs acting with flagrant self-interest (such as Brady who was bleating before the first bodies were buried) have shown absolutely no class, but cute PR could ensure a line around safety is developed once the inevitable spike in infections happens in the next few weeks. The decision needs to be unemotional, rational and taken in the best interests of the football club. And that being the case, I'd be amazed if the club ultimately votes for anything other than an early finish.

+1

That is how I've been feeling for the past 2 months, but it has also occurred to me that there is the principle of preserving human life and ending the season now means there'll be no reason to play the remaining 108 games of the normal season, just the final 5 play-off matches, which means the threat to players and staff of caching the virus is greatly reduced. Not playing the season out sits uneasily with me, but viewed from that perspective, it can be justified, IMO.
The gap in finances and standards of facilities between clubs in the Championship is so vast, I just can't see it being feasible that all clubs are able to hold BCD matches correctly.

The club has behaved with the upmost class so far. Hopefully it will stand us in good stead when we vote to finish.
Setting aside all morals/ethics etc, when you consider how much our absent owner has invested in the club you would think that if he only does one thing all year it would be to send out the order to vote to end the season now so he might stand a chance of getting some return for that investment ... and sod the moral high ground.
Irrespective of the rights and wrongs of such a decision I can’t believe he hasn’t sent out that message. Perhaps he’s a football purist - or maybe no fucker has told him !
(05-21-2020, 07:41 PM)Juan Quidonqui Wrote: Setting aside all morals/ethics etc, when you consider how much our absent owner has invested in the club you would think that if he only does one thing all year it would be to send out the order to vote to end the season now so he might stand a chance of getting some return for that investment ... and sod the moral high ground.
Irrespective of the rights and wrongs of such a decision I can’t believe he hasn’t sent out that message. Perhaps he’s a football purist - or maybe no fucker has told him !

Arf!
(05-21-2020, 04:31 PM)Psalm23 Wrote: With only 3 points between Preston in sixth & Swansea in eleventh, I would assume the nine clubs from 3rd to 11th, & definitely the bottom three would vote to play on, if possible.

4th to 6th could quite easily vote to end & consolidate their play off places.
As the EFL and PL play by different rules, I suppose the one fly in the ointment of any cunning plan to vote to end the Championship now would be that the Premier League could then decide that even if they complete their matches (mainly to keep the broadcasters happy), they won’t relegate anyone as nobody in the Championship has actually ‘earned’ the right to be promoted as the season wasn’t completed.
Wouldn’t it hurt if we officially finished 2nd and Villa finished in the bottom 3 in the Prem and we still didn’t swap places with them.
That would just sum up the jammy bastards !
(05-22-2020, 06:19 AM)Juan Quidonqui Wrote: As the EFL and PL play by different rules, I suppose the one fly in the ointment of any cunning plan to vote to end the Championship now would be that the Premier League could then decide that even if they complete their matches (mainly to keep the broadcasters happy), they won’t relegate anyone as nobody in the Championship has actually ‘earned’ the right to be promoted as the season wasn’t completed.
Wouldn’t it hurt if we officially finished 2nd and Villa finished in the bottom 3 in the Prem and we still didn’t swap places with them.
That would just sum up the jammy bastards !

The PL will relegate, regardless of however they finish. Sky have told them they have to.