FAO Guitar Biffs
(05-21-2020, 03:49 PM)Peachy Wrote:
(05-21-2020, 03:38 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:
(05-21-2020, 03:32 PM)Peachy Wrote:
(05-21-2020, 01:07 PM)Juan Quidonqui Wrote:
(05-21-2020, 10:01 AM)Duffers Wrote: I’ve been thinking about learning to play for a while and have finally decided to take the plunge. My two year has already started to take an interest in musical instruments and I figure that a good way to encourage the kids is to have an instrument in the house and be fairly competent with it myself, plus I want to learn it.

Bought myself a Fender CD-60S, read online that it’s a decent starter guitar for beginners. Anyone got any decent resources or tips for someone starting from scratch?

Ta.

Like you I got the urge to learn last year and bought myself an acoustic guitar. Fannied around for a bit to start with when it got frustrating (sore fingers, lack of time to practice etc) so progress was sporadic. But the lockdown has given me more time so put more effort into it lately and things are improving. I’m certainly no natural musician by any stretch of the imagination but I’m really enjoying it - to the point where I’ve now bought an electric guitar to go with the acoustic. 

I found Justin Guitar online which was very useful. He has a beginners course that takes you right from the basics in a structured way - and best of all, it’s all absolutely free - although you can make a donation to him if you want to. 
Hope this helps and stick with it when it gets tough. You won’t regret it.

Yeah Justin guitar is good. I got my Epiphone Sheraton out of the loft last week which I haven't picked up for 7 years or more!

Lots of good advise on YouTube if you sift through them. My advise is to find a tutorial on a song you like and use it as a goal. Something simple to start with. I find it always helps.
Have you cracked Sultans of Swing, or Classical Gas yet??   Big Grin Big Grin

Classical gas is wicked. Mason Williams at his best. Way way way beyond me pal. I'm trying to learn just the bleeding chords for Witchita lineman at the moment. One of my favourite songs of all time. 

I am beyond shit though. Its proving difficult finding the time when trying to home school my two girls what with my new found love of a G&T at midday!!  Big Grin

I wish you well. Love Glen Campbell. One hell of an under-rated guitarist. Here is some footage of him playing Classical Gas.

Best advice I saw when I started playing acoustic guitar (still learning) was don’t try and learn a song cause it’s easy but learn one you like (horse with no name my1st only two chords) and practice 10 minutes every day!
I’ve moved over to Ukulele and Banjolele now and enjoy them more, good luck and stick with it!
Duffers, you'll either crash and burn or you'll develop a lifelong obsession - it's like following a football club. I've played for 50+ years, I know my way around the instrument but I'm still garbage because I don't practice. I have the hugest respect for pros like old Ferenc who has made a living at it, and fretboard wizards like Midge. But I distract myself by buying guitars, fixing guitars, building guitars, dabbling in other instruments such as mandolin, leaving no time to practice.

On the acoustic guitar, less is more. Listen to some of the live albums by the late John Prine, or maybe Steve Earle's acoustic efforts. Very simple and effective, but hard to do well. Also be brave and try different tunings - DADGAD offers you some very simple chords to start with, but the sound is different from regular tuning and very satisfying. It's all out there on the interweb. Most of all, don't let it get you down.
Off to a flyer... was tubing this morning - did the first four strings fine then over tightened the fifth one and snapped it!!!

New strings coming from Amazon tomorrow.
Big Grin all been there mate! I once had a string ping out and the sharp end got caught in my cheek, that was fun pulling it out from under the skin!
In the form of his life.
(05-23-2020, 11:17 AM)Duffers Wrote: Off to a flyer... was tubing this morning - did the first four strings fine then over tightened the fifth one and snapped it!!!

I did that hill trecking in Thailand in a small commune in the hills in the north trying to do the locals a favour.  How shit did I feel as they didn’t have anymore strings and it only had 5 strings to start with!!! I asked the tour guide when he would be next back there and he said the next week so I gave him money to buy a few sets of new strings for them and gave him some money for his troubles.
(05-23-2020, 11:17 AM)Duffers Wrote: Off to a flyer... was tubing this morning - did the first four strings fine then over tightened the fifth one and snapped it!!!

I did that the first time I set up the floating bridge on my old, much missed Ibanez. Pain in the ass since it got sucked into the mechanism, pulled other strings out and was just a ballache.

I want to get back to playing so badly, just can't afford it at the moment.
Could always go with less strings like Presidents Of The USA.
Big Grin 
(05-23-2020, 12:32 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote:

I did that the first time I set up the floating bridge on my old, much missed Ibanez. Pain in the ass since it got sucked into the mechanism, pulled other strings out and was just a ballache.

I want to get back to playing so badly, just can't afford it at the moment.

I've got playing so badly sorted, Birdie, it's playing so much better that I'm struggling with.  [Image: biggrin.png]
I'd been thinking about sending off for a set of strings for my old guitar - which I haven't touched for nigh on 40 years. This thread persuaded me to take the plunge and strings are on the way.

Then who knows? I might even get as far as fitting them to the guitar before I lose the impetus all over again.