Obamagate
So the orange one has found a slogan to build on, but all he needs is a scandal. 
For those unaware, he has started piping up about Obamagate the past few days saying to jounalists they know the scandal he is on about. Of course they don't, because there isn't one.
It'll be interesting to see where he goes with this one in his latest attempt at deflecting stuff.
However, I'm just bewildered beyond bewildered beyond words at how the hell the USA haven't got rid of this absolute tool, who has someone got into office.
We'd laugh if some mad African leader was coming out with the shite he does, but then in our superior way, say what do you expect from an impoverished corrupt country. However, this is the head of the free world.
The guy is just scum and yet the circus goes on. I still don't know how?
He doesn't even need an actual scandal. Repeating his slogan often enough will get people to believe it to be true even with 0 detail or evidence. There are huge swathes of Americans who think Obama was some African, Muslim terrorist.

It is totally mad that this creature is president of the USA but the UK is in no position to cast aspersions in that regard.... Our current govt reads directly from the same populist playbook.
I live partly in Los Angeles so I meet a lot of people who voted for him.  They're mostly smart, well educated and engaging company. They're not the rabble you see on UK TV screens. It really is odd. I can't understand how they can support him.

So, trying to figure it out, I've read four books and devoured countless articles, editorials and reports all based on him, from both pro and anti-trump viewpoints. I'm desperate to see what I'm not getting. 

Despite all that, all I can see is a lying idiot with a bulletproof ego. I just don't get it. I can't see any redeeming qualities. The only possible reason I can even understand is that he isn't Clinton. Out of the frying pan and into the out of control bush fire springs to mind...

I agree with Spandau, if he was the leader of a central african government we'd think it was hilarious and typical
Obamagate a hashtag in search of a scandal.
(05-19-2020, 05:14 PM)fuzzbox Wrote: I live partly in Los Angeles so I meet a lot of people who voted for him.  They're mostly smart, well educated and engaging company. They're not the rabble you see on UK TV screens. It really is odd. I can't understand how they can support him.

So, trying to figure it out, I've read four books and devoured countless articles, editorials and reports all based on him, from both pro and anti-trump viewpoints. I'm desperate to see what I'm not getting. 

Despite all that, all I can see is a lying idiot with a bulletproof ego. I just don't get it. I can't see any redeeming qualities. The only possible reason I can even understand is that he isn't Clinton. Out of the frying pan and into the out of control bush fire springs to mind...

I agree with Spandau, if he was the leader of a central african government we'd think it was hilarious and typical

Considering Pie is a satirist/comedian, this explains Trump better than any learned thinkpiece in a broadsheet. 

(05-22-2020, 05:58 PM)Bromley Baggie 2 Wrote:
(05-19-2020, 05:14 PM)fuzzbox Wrote: I live partly in Los Angeles so I meet a lot of people who voted for him.  They're mostly smart, well educated and engaging company. They're not the rabble you see on UK TV screens. It really is odd. I can't understand how they can support him.

Considering Pie is a satirist/comedian, this explains Trump better than any learned thinkpiece in a broadsheet. 

Wow. Thanks for that.
This is the perfect truth. To explain it with a good example, yesterday a thread was deleted in the main board about Muslims not social distancing to celebrate the end of Ramadan. The thread was getting a little uncomfortable for moderating I imagine and either one of the mods or the original poster got rid. I made a comment agreeing, which those on the far left would probably be spitting and hissing at.
In no way do I want that subject reactivated. However, it aptly shows that those who dare question aspects or behaviour of others not part of their group, get the full wrath of the left and even people with moderate views become labelled fascists.
Not debating uncomfortable subjects means free speech is finished. The bile of the far left makes people support the far right. It’s polarisation.
As long as the left refuses to acknowledge this then the likes of Trump will continue to prosper and this is from someone very middle of the road politically.
(05-25-2020, 09:26 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: This is the perfect truth. To explain it perfectly, yesterday a thread was deleted in the main board about Muslims not social distancing to celebrate the end of Ramadan. The thread was getting a little uncomfortable for moderating I imagine and either one of the mods or the original poster got rid. I made a comment, which those on the far left would probably be spitting and hissing at.
In no way do I want that subject reactivated. However, it aptly shows that those who dare question aspects or behaviour of others not part of their group, get the full wrath of the left and even people with moderate views become labelled fascists.
Not debating uncomfortable subjects means free speech is finished.
As long as the left refuses to acknowledge this then the likes of Trump will continue to prosper and this is from someone very middle of the road politically.

Spandau, can you explain what you mean by "The Left"? To me it's just another lazy catch-all expression that saves you from having to rationalise and present your own views properly. It's barely any better than the appalling "Gammon" and "Snowflake" labels which are used to accompany directionless anger. Life, people, opinions, politics, economics - all these are far more complicated than a simple binary choice between "Right" and "Left".
(05-25-2020, 09:26 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: This is the perfect truth. To explain it with a good example, yesterday a thread was deleted in the main board about Muslims not social distancing to celebrate the end of Ramadan. The thread was getting a little uncomfortable for moderating I imagine and either one of the mods or the original poster got rid. I made a comment agreeing, which those on the far left would probably be spitting and hissing at.
Not debating uncomfortable subjects means free speech is finished. The bile of the far left makes people support the far right. It’s polarisation.

The sentient part of 'The left' recognised this very acutely in the late eighties and early nineties; they could hardly fail to do so considering the results of successive elections from '79 to '87. First by Kinnock and then John Smith those elements were gradually marginalised; under the more ruthless - they would probably prefer 'pragmatic' - régime of Blair and Mandelson where they survived at all they were driven to the very periphery of the party. And, with that hard work done, Labour were able to win electoral landslides.

Then the guard was lowered and here we are again; there's nothing new in any of this. But one redeeming feature for Labour in the electoral merry-go-round is that The Tories - given enough rope and time - always manage to make themselves transparently detestable.
(05-25-2020, 09:31 AM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote:
(05-25-2020, 09:26 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: This is the perfect truth. To explain it perfectly, yesterday a thread was deleted in the main board about Muslims not social distancing to celebrate the end of Ramadan. The thread was getting a little uncomfortable for moderating I imagine and either one of the mods or the original poster got rid. I made a comment, which those on the far left would probably be spitting and hissing at.
Not debating uncomfortable subjects means free speech is finished.

Spandau, can you explain what you mean by "The Left"? To me it's just another lazy catch-all expression that saves you from having to rationalise and present your own views properly. It's barely any better than the appalling "Gammon" and "Snowflake" labels which are used to accompany directionless anger. Life, people, opinions, politics, economics - all these are far more complicated than a simple binary choice between "Right" and "Left".

The left is the far left for these purposes. I really don’t know what other phrase to use! 
Maybe the hypersensitive left is a better description- those who bristle at people saying something accusational at a minority even if it appears to be the truth.