The Showman vs The Lawyer...
People dont want to sell their houses for the care homes .....who can blame them but where does the money come from .
Perhaps we could get the more well off, multinationals to pay more tax? That’ll never catch on... far better to make averagely well off people sell their houses instead.
(05-14-2020, 01:37 PM)Protheroe Wrote: I'd disagree about the big profits. The reason care is often so poor is that there's not a lot of money in it.

Our country's fixation with funding health and social care out of general taxation is the root cause, as is the reluctance of anyone over the age of 65 to want to provide for their own future.

I have provided for my future, if you don’t mind. Have you considered not everyone can or they have hit hard times, not of their making?

Your fixation of “every man for himself”  and reluctance to accept not everybody can be a high flier is the root cause of much anger.
(05-14-2020, 08:42 PM)JOK Wrote:
(05-14-2020, 01:37 PM)Protheroe Wrote: I'd disagree about the big profits. The reason care is often so poor is that there's not a lot of money in it.

Our country's fixation with funding health and social care out of general taxation is the root cause, as is the reluctance of anyone over the age of 65 to want to provide for their own future.

I have provided for my future, if you don’t mind. Have you considered not everyone can or they have hit hard times, not of their making?

Your fixation of “every man for himself”  and reluctance to accept not everybody can be a high flier is the root cause of much anger.

JOK fair play. Sadly the accumulation of wealth is seen by some in society as the only indicator of success and anyone who fails to live by those rules is a failure, deserves what they get, should be grateful for charity. It’s a pitifully shallow, selfish and myopic way to view the world and humanity.

Libertarianism - putting ones own liberties above those of others.
(05-14-2020, 08:26 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Perhaps we could get the more well off, multinationals to pay more tax? That’ll never catch on... far better to make averagely well off people sell their houses instead.

You keep saying the same things derek they are not going  to do it .
(05-14-2020, 09:15 PM)The liquidator Wrote:
(05-14-2020, 08:26 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Perhaps we could get the more well off, multinationals to pay more tax? That’ll never catch on... far better to make averagely well off people sell their houses instead.

You keep saying the same things derek they are not going  to do it .

Very true. Somehow they have convinced millions to vote against their own interests. I’m not sure what that says about the judgement of those that have or those that have convinced them it’s the right decision.
It's like your going around in circles hoping the likes of Amazon are going to have a conscience they will never pay there way .....

Well done, it wasn't a personal attack; however the over 65s pay no NI on earnings, pay no TV Tax, get a Winter Fuel Allowance, have a Triple Lock on their state pensions, are the last generation to have decent private pension provision and then scream blue murder about using their wholly unearned housing assets to pay for care.

There is no reason on God's Earth why the under 40s should be saddled with subsidising this largesse now that the rug has been pulled from under them for the second time in little over a decade.

The Welfare State ought to be a safety net for those who most need it (as it was when it was established). Everyone else who's saved for a rainy day? Well it's fucking pouring right now - put your umbrella up.
All very selective - over 65s NI would result in the square root of fuck all in the grand scheme, the threshold only kicks in at over 9k and they can hardly be expected to pay NI on their state pension (which is/was the reason for paying NI in the first place - a savings scheme)

TV Tax - another woopy do for the treasury I'd imagine. Bet Rishi cannot wait to get his hands on that tuppence ha'penny

Winter Fuel allowance should be means tested, but as you are a great advocate of the one payment for all to avoid all of the administrative costs then I'm surprised you mention this.

The state pension is running at about £9k a year so the triple lock is hardly making them rich beyond their widest dreams. And those that did have a decent pension that they paid into is hardly their fault is it? they have got out of it what they were sold.

And their assets have gone up relatively, so in days before the house price boom they would have been able to pass on the asset to their kids to help them on the ladder, why should that change? The one's that have made the most out of the house price boom are the banks and private landlords but you know that. You want the rest to be paid into the hands of private care home owners - we really are getting back to the landowners and tenants days here aren't we?

Maybe we should build more housing stock to bring the price of housing down seeing as we have neglected it for the last 30 years.
(05-15-2020, 07:44 AM)Protheroe Wrote:

Well done, it wasn't a personal attack; however the over 65s pay no NI on earnings, pay no TV Tax, get a Winter Fuel Allowance, have a Triple Lock on their state pensions, are the last generation to have decent private pension provision and then scream blue murder about using their wholly unearned housing assets to pay for care.

There is no reason on God's Earth why the under 40s should be saddled with subsidising this largesse now that the rug has been pulled from under them for the second time in little over a decade.

The Welfare State ought to be a safety net for those who most need it (as it was when it was established). Everyone else who's saved for a rainy day? Well it's fucking pouring right now - put your umbrella up.
There you go again!  Do explain how me working for 46 years and my wife working until she is 70 (with five years out for child rearing) and ploughing a good proportion of our incomes into a mortgage makes  our house a “wholly unearned asset”.
I don’t know if you have your own property but if you do I assume you will gladly dispose of it to pay for your old age care, which comes at an extortionate rate if you have assets. Also not leave an inheritance to children which I’d have thought was a tenent of capitalism.
The T.V. “Tax” is for the over 75s, at present. People can still take out private pensions and employers have to provide a WPP.
So you don’t consider it fair for the state pension, barley liveable as it is, to keep up with inflation? 
The people “screaming blue murder” are simply countering those that incessantly bleat on about the , perceived, feckless .
The only problem I can accept is that some of the elderly benefits are universal.