The Showman vs The Lawyer...
Don't think it has taken too long for some Conservatives to have moved from the position of 'Thank God we have a decent opposition. it is so good for democracy' to a position of smearing the new Labour leader.
(05-14-2020, 10:46 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(05-14-2020, 10:38 AM)baggy1 Wrote: no sane person that thinks the Govt made a conscious choice on looking the other way when it comes to care homes

If it emerges that untested elderly patients have been discharged to care homes on any scale then that is a scandal. I sniff a scandal.

Exactly who may be to blame for this is a moot point.

Didn't that happen in Scotland?
(05-14-2020, 11:22 AM)Borin\ Baggie Wrote:
(05-14-2020, 10:46 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(05-14-2020, 10:38 AM)baggy1 Wrote: no sane person that thinks the Govt made a conscious choice on looking the other way when it comes to care homes

If it emerges that untested elderly patients have been discharged to care homes on any scale then that is a scandal. I sniff a scandal.

Exactly who may be to blame for this is a moot point.

Didn't that happen in Scotland?

I think up there people start to be dumped in old people's homes from the age of 45 upwards.
It's interesting that it's taking people dying in care homes to generate any scandal when it's the conditions that many experience living in care homes which are truly tragic. Care homes are run on a shoestring, staffed by care workers on NMW )many of whom would be unemployable elsewhere), can endlessly fail CQC inspections, yet generate big profits for owners.

However, nobody seems to want to pay anything via taxation or by any other means to improve them.
(05-14-2020, 11:16 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote: Don't think it has taken too long for some Conservatives to have moved from the position of 'Thank God we have a decent opposition. it is so good for democracy' to a position of smearing the new Labour leader.

The Tories and their slavish apologists are rattled and are now throwing poop around like a frustrated chimpanzee. Today Dorries and her instantly forgettable colleague have deleted a far right / left edited video of Kier Starmer that they shared and the one erm I’ve already forgotten the name of has deleted their entire Twitter account because if it.
(05-14-2020, 01:04 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(05-14-2020, 11:16 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote: Don't think it has taken too long for some Conservatives to have moved from the position of 'Thank God we have a decent opposition. it is so good for democracy' to a position of smearing the new Labour leader.

The Tories and their slavish apologists are rattled and are now throwing poop around like a frustrated chimpanzee. Today Dorries and her instantly forgettable colleague have deleted a far right / left edited video of Kier Starmer that they shared and the one erm I’ve already forgotten the name of has deleted their entire Twitter account because if it.

Why you rattled  by it ?

(05-13-2020, 03:44 PM)WWHO Wrote:
(05-13-2020, 02:46 PM)The liquidator Wrote: At the right time I dont think it is the right time .....I think kier has forgotten the part that we will support  the government that has well and truly gone ....the tories might aswell freeze them out of discussions.

Give them the piers Morgan treatment.  Angel

Out of interest, when is the right time to hold the Government to task over decisions that may (or may not) still be contributing to mounting deaths with each passing day?

(05-13-2020, 03:06 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(05-13-2020, 02:46 PM)The liquidator Wrote: At the right time I dont think it is the right time .....I think kier has forgotten the part that we will support  the government that has well and truly gone ....the tories might aswell freeze them out of discussions.

Liq you’ve become just another apologist for Boris and co.

And poor little Saido, don't forget poor little, innocent Saido.

You got a job yet ?

(05-13-2020, 03:06 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:

Liq you’ve become just another apologist for Boris and co.

I think you need to read some of my posts I'm disgusted at how they have neglected the care homes if that's backing the government you need your head looking  at .

You will find a couple of so called legends of the board have said that they have culled pensioners .
(05-14-2020, 12:56 PM)Squid Wrote: It's interesting that it's taking people dying in care homes to generate any scandal when it's the conditions that many experience living in care homes which are truly tragic. Care homes are run on a shoestring, staffed by care workers on NMW )many of whom would be unemployable elsewhere), can endlessly fail CQC inspections, yet generate big profits for owners.

However, nobody seems to want to pay anything via taxation or by any other means to improve them.

I'd disagree about the big profits. The reason care is often so poor is that there's not a lot of money in it.

Our country's fixation with funding health and social care out of general taxation is the root cause, as is the reluctance of anyone over the age of 65 to want to provide for their own future.
(05-14-2020, 01:37 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(05-14-2020, 12:56 PM)Squid Wrote: It's interesting that it's taking people dying in care homes to generate any scandal when it's the conditions that many experience living in care homes which are truly tragic. Care homes are run on a shoestring, staffed by care workers on NMW )many of whom would be unemployable elsewhere), can endlessly fail CQC inspections, yet generate big profits for owners.

I'd disagree about the big profits. The reason care is often so poor is that there's not a lot of money in it.

Our country's fixation with funding health and social care out of general taxation is the root cause, as is the reluctance of anyone over the age of 65 to want to provide for their own future.
Dunno about "not a lot of money in it".  Two of my customers ( I'm in Landscapes and Maintenance), are care home owners. They are both extremely well fixed. At a thousand pounds a week for a customer that hardly eats and demands little in the way of amenities, it looks good income to me. They'd be  better off in the Holiday Inn.

Aye, although they don't even seem able to make a decent fist of that...

Just repeat any old shite

To quote another MP: "What's revealing is that: 1. You've spread fake news and indulged a smear being promoted by the far right. 2. You had time to do this despite being a minister in the Department of Health during a public health crisis..."

Quite
(05-14-2020, 01:37 PM)Protheroe Wrote:

There's money for some in it and standards are so poor to ensure those sorts are still getting paid.

To improve care homes more money's got to come from somewhere. If nobody wants to pay for it either personally or via taxation, which would appear to be the case, then people need to spare the crocodile tears when something like COVID happens.

We also need a care home regulator with teeth, as there is no excuse for some of the poor practice that occurs.