Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Paradise Papers
(11-06-2017, 09:13 AM)Ossian Wrote:
(11-06-2017, 08:39 AM)Protheroe Wrote: There's a simple way to address this.

Tax people less.

Yep, that would work: lower rates of taxation would eliminate greed.

"Never happen. Utopian intentions again by you lot." That's a quote, by the way.

#Leastplausible

Ah but it's not about greedy bastards
It is all to do with sensible financial planning
Come on now
It will trickle down in the end
(11-06-2017, 10:47 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(11-06-2017, 08:49 AM)Bomber Wrote: So why not abolish all taxes, then we will be rolling in money.

Excellent idea.

<Waits for - "but who will build the roads?" argument>

Who would defend us?
(11-06-2017, 09:46 PM)Donegal Wrote: As for that twat Lewis Hamilton draping himself in your flag whilst taking the piss out of you....

I see Lewis is getting pelters for not paying UK tax. Not that he lives in the UK or anything. This is the level of this shit.
(11-06-2017, 09:46 PM)Donegal Wrote: Another greedy bastard
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-41857222

As for that twat Lewis Hamilton draping himself in your flag whilst taking the piss out of you....

Are you not allowed to show the flag of your nationality even if you live somewhere else then?
I doubt he uses the NHS, my guess is that his bins are emptied in the country of his residence
and should he have Children, unless he plans the biggest school run in history, they will not
attend a state school any time soon. This entire issue is turning far too many people into
green eyed monsters IMO  

If he were draping the flag of any of his sponsors then I might consider he was taking the piss
out of his supporters
I don't think Hamilton's personal place of residence is the issue for most, although it might be for a few. I wouldn't expect Hamilton - as a non-resident - to be paying PAYE in the UK; if he was driving for a UK-based team and spending his working week here that might be different. And, tempting though it might be, you can't punitively tax somebody just for being a self-absorbed arsehole.

I think there is more interest in where the money (not just Hamilton's by the way) resides, and the places it passes through along the way.
(11-07-2017, 12:05 PM)Ossian Wrote: I think there is more interest in where the money (not just Hamilton's by the way) resides, and the places it passes through along the way.

Seems an odd interest to have if you ask me.
I didn't.

If I cared enough, I might ask somebody who knows, how you'd guard against evasion and laundering without following the money trail? I'd expect The Treasury and HMRC to care enough on my behalf.
(11-07-2017, 04:18 PM)Ossian Wrote: If I cared enough, I might ask somebody who knows, how you'd guard against evasion and laundering without following the money trail? I'd expect The Treasury and HMRC to care enough on my behalf.

You could lower taxes to a level where the effort involved is disproportionate to the benefit gained.

Unfortunately the UK is going in the opposite direction.
Yes, but I'm talking about dealing with the reality that presently exists, rather than some hypothetical situation which almost certainly never will.

For the next five years there will be other preoccupations - Brexit not the least of them. Thereafter, you're unlikely to quickly get the kind of radical shift you'd prefer, and I'm probably even less likely to see the kind of government I'd hope for.
I keep being told this. Yet none of us (including me) predicted Brexit, nor would any of us have done anything but roll around on the floor at the thought of Corbyn, Abbott & Thornberry running the Labour party.

The Tories ONLY chance electorally IMO is to adopt an exceptionally liberal Brexit. If they keep on aping the Labour party who would blame the electorate for voting for the real thing?