Darkest Hour
About 14 years ago I was sat on the circle line and an elderly gent with white hair and dark rimmed glasses got on the tube wearing a cream rain coat and carrying a briefcase and sat opposite me.  I looked at him until he made eye contact with me and then I nodded at him and he nodded back.  He got off at Westminster.

It was Douglas Hurd.   True story.

Could you imagine Maggie dealing with the virus the way this wet blanket has?
(05-10-2020, 06:40 PM)Tom Joad Wrote: I couldn't believe that was Gary Oldman!

Superb portral of Churchill by Oldman but imho John Lithgow's portral in the Crown was better, still a brilliant and moving film though makes you realise just how close we came to defeat, Churchill classic case of right man at the right time.
Fwiw the portrayal of Halifax was pretty reasonable ; my grandfather was his accountant. My uncle had a few words to say about meeting him. What we call a near miss, or a Kanu Boro if you like..
Thought this thread was about Boris Johnson’s speech
An average film, entertaining due to the incredible events portrayed. Let’s it’s self down with the dreadful misjudged tube scene and finally confirmed as unforgivable due to the misinformation on the post film black screen white type face before end credits . Which brands the pre war off the shelf navy plan operation dynamo as Churchill’s idea.
Will be controversial here. As a reader of military history, I think that Churchill, in May 1940, was definately the only man for the job. After 1941, I would say he had no real greatness. His role in the defeat in Singapore is open to debate. His only policy was to get America into the war. General Alan Brooke, his chief military advisor, who , maybe should have had Montgomerys command, said to his deputy, Some Air Vice Marshall or whatever,`I`m going on leave, while I`m off, make sure Churchill doesn`t get his toys out of the box`. This meant ludicrous plans, like invading Denmark or sending battleships into the Baltic etc.