More covidiots.
(05-09-2020, 08:57 AM)cornishbaggie Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 08:27 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 08:03 AM)cornishbaggie Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 08:00 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 07:52 AM)cornishbaggie Wrote: So how do you know the 3 in the story read these papers.

As you know, that is not what I said, I just inquired how you know the 3 in the story are readers of those papers.

I didn’t read your reply about those specific three until after I had replied. The wider point is if the press run with irresponsible stories then don’t be surprised if people who are easily led or just need an excuse do irresponsible things.

So you refuse to believe that idiots can be idiots without any influence from the press.

No I’m saying that, I don’t want an argument about this, it was a wider point about creating a narrative / environment legitimising some people’s idiotic and irresponsible behaviour because of irresponsible press reports. Some people will be idiots regardless some need encouragement. Let’s put it this way did those ott headlines seen yesterday help to reinforce or weaken the lockdown message?

Which means, idiots will be idiots regardless of what they are told and right minded people, ergo, non idiots, will not be idiots regardless of what they read, so what appears in any press is irrelevant.

Bum them Rowley!!  Big Grin
(05-09-2020, 08:00 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 07:52 AM)cornishbaggie Wrote: So how do you know the 3 in the story read these papers.

As you know, that is not what I said, I just inquired how you know the 3 in the story are readers of those papers.

I didn’t read your reply about those specific three until after I had replied. The wider point is if the press run with irresponsible stories then don’t be surprised if people who are easily led or just need an excuse do irresponsible things.

So you refuse to believe that idiots can be idiots without any influence from the press.

No I’m saying that, I don’t want an argument about this, it was a wider point about creating a narrative / environment legitimising some people’s idiotic and irresponsible behaviour because of irresponsible press reports. Some people will be idiots regardless some need encouragement. Let’s put it this way did those ott headlines seen yesterday help to reinforce or weaken the lockdown message?

Which means, idiots will be idiots regardless of what they are told and right minded people, ergo, non idiots, will not be idiots regardless of what they read, so what appears in any press is irrelevant.

(05-09-2020, 09:08 AM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 08:59 AM)foreveralbion Wrote: well ill be honest and thought it was only an hour a day for exercise.

impossible to police anyway and hasnt led to gatherings of people doing fake exercising.

Just noticed that the mirror had got it wrong 2 days ago....  Lazy journos 

“Since March 23 exercise outside the confines of the home has been limited to just one hour a day”.  

This is what Boris said initially (no time limit)

Taking one form of exercise a day, for example, a run, walk, or cycle: alone or with members of your household” 

Sauce:  https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/m...-cannot-do

And then Gove said the following on 29th March;

"I would have thought that for most, a walk of up to an hour, or a run of 30 minutes, or a cycle ride between that, depending on their level of fitness, is appropriate,"

Sauce:  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52082781

If the Government advisor who advised social distancing breaks a lockdown rule, it’s hardly surprising others think it’s fine to do so and what with a paltry £30 fine (if laid within 30 days)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/05...-breaking/

Ok the press has no influence on people... this will come as a great shock to advertisers and political parties around the world.
(05-09-2020, 09:55 AM)Pickle Rick Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 09:43 AM)baggpuss Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 08:03 AM)cornishbaggie Wrote: So you refuse to believe that idiots can be idiots without any influence from the press.

Bum them Rowley!!  Big Grin

From 2m away?

Well he is over 6ft
(05-09-2020, 09:54 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 08:00 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: I didn’t read your reply about those specific three until after I had replied. The wider point is if the press run with irresponsible stories then don’t be surprised if people who are easily led or just need an excuse do irresponsible things.

(05-09-2020, 08:59 AM)foreveralbion Wrote: well ill be honest and thought it was only an hour a day for exercise.

impossible to police anyway and hasnt led to gatherings of people doing fake exercising.

“Since March 23 exercise outside the confines of the home has been limited to just one hour a day”.  

Taking one form of exercise a day, for example, a run, walk, or cycle: alone or with members of your household” 

"I would have thought that for most, a walk of up to an hour, or a run of 30 minutes, or a cycle ride between that, depending on their level of fitness, is appropriate,"

If the Government advisor who advised social distancing breaks a lockdown rule, it’s hardly surprising others think it’s fine to do so and what with a paltry £30 fine (if laid within 30 days)

Ok the press has no influence on people... this will come as a great shock to advertisers and political parties around the world.
A great shock indeed, when they realise the only influence on people comes from the mail and the sun.
(05-09-2020, 11:40 AM)cornishbaggie Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 08:03 AM)cornishbaggie Wrote: So you refuse to believe that idiots can be idiots without any influence from the press.

A great shock indeed, when they realise the only influence on people comes from the mail and the sun.

I gave them as examples, I didn’t say they had a monopoly on irresponsibility. Here’s an example of idiots being influenced by others. Burning / vandalising 5G masts down wasn’t a thing before some tin foil wearing conspiracy theorists decided to link them to the pandemic via social media. Idiots need direction for their stupid acts sometimes.
(05-09-2020, 12:58 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 08:27 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: No I’m saying that, I don’t want an argument about this, it was a wider point about creating a narrative / environment legitimising some people’s idiotic and irresponsible behaviour because of irresponsible press reports. Some people will be idiots regardless some need encouragement. Let’s put it this way did those ott headlines seen yesterday help to reinforce or weaken the lockdown message?

I gave them as examples, I didn’t say they had a monopoly on irresponsibility. Here’s an example of idiots being influenced by others. Burning / vandalising 5G masts down wasn’t a thing before some tin foil wearing conspiracy theorists decided to link them to the pandemic via social media. Idiots need direction for their stupid acts sometimes.

Hmmmm, forgive me for being cynical, So as I said before, you refuse to believe that idiots can be idiots without any influence from the press.
(05-09-2020, 07:49 AM)Solihull Throstle Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 07:35 AM)cornishbaggie Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 07:03 AM)Solihull Throstle Wrote:
(05-08-2020, 08:04 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: What do you expect when newspapers like the Mail and Sun have headlines rejoicing that the lockdown will soon be over (leaked by who and for what purpose?) on the eve of a bank holiday? The same week as we have passed over 30k deaths!

This

I have  read the story over and over and not seen that any of them were Sun or Mail readers mentioned anywhere, the pair of you obviously have an insight that I lack.

Both papers (amongst others) were clearly implying that there would be a significant change in lockdown regulations from the start of next week and making unfounded predictions for later in the summer.

Irresponsible journalism, especially considering the average intelligence of those who read those papers!

Again I have struggled to see the evidence that the 3 in the story read any paper, I am also intrigued as to what evidence you have of the average intelligence of anyone that reads these papers.
(05-09-2020, 01:47 PM)cornishbaggie Wrote: Again I have struggled to see the evidence that the 3 in the story read any paper, I am also intrigued as to what evidence you have of the average intelligence of anyone that reads these papers.

Cornish, ever thought of trying this?

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47f81556596de8334d74...=giphy.gif]
(05-09-2020, 01:47 PM)cornishbaggie Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 07:49 AM)Solihull Throstle Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 07:35 AM)cornishbaggie Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 07:03 AM)Solihull Throstle Wrote:
(05-08-2020, 08:04 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: What do you expect when newspapers like the Mail and Sun have headlines rejoicing that the lockdown will soon be over (leaked by who and for what purpose?) on the eve of a bank holiday? The same week as we have passed over 30k deaths!

This

I have  read the story over and over and not seen that any of them were Sun or Mail readers mentioned anywhere, the pair of you obviously have an insight that I lack.

Both papers (amongst others) were clearly implying that there would be a significant change in lockdown regulations from the start of next week and making unfounded predictions for later in the summer.

Irresponsible journalism, especially considering the average intelligence of those who read those papers!

Again I have struggled to see the evidence that the 3 in the story read any paper, I am also intrigued as to what evidence you have of the average intelligence of anyone that reads these papers.

It was a wider point than just those three idiots neither of us were saying otherwise.
(05-09-2020, 01:42 PM)Derek cornishbaggie Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 12:58 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 08:57 AM)cornishbaggie Wrote: Which means, idiots will be idiots regardless of what they are told and right minded people, ergo, non idiots, will not be idiots regardless of what they read, so what appears in any press is irrelevant.

(05-09-2020, 09:08 AM)Fulham Fallout Wrote: Just noticed that the mirror had got it wrong 2 days ago....  Lazy journos 

Hmmmm, forgive me for being cynical, So as I said before, you refuse to believe that idiots can be idiots without any influence from the press.

I never said they couldn’t but that doesn’t mean that idiots cannot be influenced by the deeds and words of others even in the press.

So to clarify yes idiots can be idiots without the help of others but they can also be influenced to be idiots by others.