More covidiots.
(05-08-2020, 08:04 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: What do you expect when newspapers like the Mail and Sun have headlines rejoicing that the lockdown will soon be over (leaked by who and for what purpose?) on the eve of a bank holiday? The same week as we have passed over 30k deaths!

I dont like the papers one  bit but dont blame them for people making their own decisions ....
(05-09-2020, 08:03 AM)cornishbaggie Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 08:00 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 07:52 AM)cornishbaggie Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 07:49 AM)Solihull Throstle Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 07:35 AM)cornishbaggie Wrote: I have  read the story over and over and not seen that any of them were Sun or Mail readers mentioned anywhere, the pair of you obviously have an insight that I lack.

Both papers (amongst others) were clearly implying that there would be a significant change in lockdown regulations from the start of next week and making unfounded predictions for later in the summer.

Irresponsible journalism, especially considering the average intelligence of those who read those papers!

So how do you know the 3 in the story read these papers.

(05-09-2020, 07:51 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 07:35 AM)cornishbaggie Wrote: I have  read the story over and over and not seen that any of them were Sun or Mail readers mentioned anywhere, the pair of you obviously have an insight that I lack.

If people are led to believe directly or indirectly through irresponsible headlines in national media that lockdown will relaxed significantly, then what message does that send out to people who want any excuse to flout the rules set in place? You may be right that the media has no affect on public opinion but I disagree.

As you know, that is not what I said, I just inquired how you know the 3 in the story are readers of those papers.

I didn’t read your reply about those specific three until after I had replied. The wider point is if the press run with irresponsible stories then don’t be surprised if people who are easily led or just need an excuse do irresponsible things.

So you refuse to believe that idiots can be idiots without any influence from the press.

No I’m saying that, I don’t want an argument about this, it was a wider point about creating a narrative / environment legitimising some people’s idiotic and irresponsible behaviour because of irresponsible press reports. Some people will be idiots regardless some need encouragement. Let’s put it this way did those ott headlines seen yesterday help to reinforce or weaken the lockdown message?
usual twitter outrage over a couple of videos showing people way to close in the street whilst ignoring the huge amount of photos showing people having street parties on their own properties.

im in the camp that the vast majority have behaved really well during this.
Certain people will always be idiots and need little encouragement to behave inappropriately. Having said that this country is akin to being run by a supply teacher where you can act like an idiot and suffer no consequences. For example those newspapers were predicting that from Monday you could take as much exercise as you wanted. Forgive me for being an idiot but tell me when this was any different in this lockdown? There was nothing in place to police a limit of one hour so consequently people take advantage. We all knew the rule but due to no enforcement the idiots flout the rules.
(05-09-2020, 08:39 AM)baggiebuckster Wrote: Certain people will always be idiots and need little encouragement to behave inappropriately. Having said that this country is akin to being run by a supply teacher where you can act like an idiot and suffer no consequences. For example those newspapers were predicting that from Monday you could take as much exercise as you wanted. Forgive me for being an idiot but tell me when this was any different in this lockdown? There was nothing in place to police a limit of one hour so consequently people take advantage. We all knew the rule but due to no enforcement the idiots flout the rules.

There never was a one hour limit.  It was one form of exercise per day, where one hour should be sufficient for most people.  Some people interpreted that incorrectly as being one hour per day maximum.
(05-09-2020, 08:27 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 08:03 AM)cornishbaggie Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 08:00 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 07:52 AM)cornishbaggie Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 07:49 AM)Solihull Throstle Wrote: Both papers (amongst others) were clearly implying that there would be a significant change in lockdown regulations from the start of next week and making unfounded predictions for later in the summer.

Irresponsible journalism, especially considering the average intelligence of those who read those papers!

So how do you know the 3 in the story read these papers.

(05-09-2020, 07:51 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: If people are led to believe directly or indirectly through irresponsible headlines in national media that lockdown will relaxed significantly, then what message does that send out to people who want any excuse to flout the rules set in place? You may be right that the media has no affect on public opinion but I disagree.

As you know, that is not what I said, I just inquired how you know the 3 in the story are readers of those papers.

I didn’t read your reply about those specific three until after I had replied. The wider point is if the press run with irresponsible stories then don’t be surprised if people who are easily led or just need an excuse do irresponsible things.

So you refuse to believe that idiots can be idiots without any influence from the press.

No I’m saying that, I don’t want an argument about this, it was a wider point about creating a narrative / environment legitimising some people’s idiotic and irresponsible behaviour because of irresponsible press reports. Some people will be idiots regardless some need encouragement. Let’s put it this way did those ott headlines seen yesterday help to reinforce or weaken the lockdown message?

Which means, idiots will be idiots regardless of what they are told and right minded people, ergo, non idiots, will not be idiots regardless of what they read, so what appears in any press is irrelevant.
(05-09-2020, 08:47 AM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 08:39 AM)baggiebuckster Wrote: Certain people will always be idiots and need little encouragement to behave inappropriately. Having said that this country is akin to being run by a supply teacher where you can act like an idiot and suffer no consequences. For example those newspapers were predicting that from Monday you could take as much exercise as you wanted. Forgive me for being an idiot but tell me when this was any different in this lockdown? There was nothing in place to police a limit of one hour so consequently people take advantage. We all knew the rule but due to no enforcement the idiots flout the rules.

There never was a one hour limit.  It was one form of exercise per day, where one hour should be sufficient for most people.  Some people interpreted that incorrectly as being one hour per day maximum.

I stand corrected but the point remains. How do you police one form of exercise per day? And assuming we then follow the lead from Wales in having no restrictions on exercising then what in reality will change?
well ill be honest and thought it was only an hour a day for exercise.

impossible to police anyway and hasnt led to gatherings of people doing fake exercising.
(05-09-2020, 08:59 AM)foreveralbion Wrote: well ill be honest and thought it was only an hour a day for exercise.

impossible to police anyway and hasnt led to gatherings of people doing fake exercising.

Just noticed that the mirror had got it wrong 2 days ago....  Lazy journos 

“Since March 23 exercise outside the confines of the home has been limited to just one hour a day”.  

This is what Boris said initially (no time limit)

Taking one form of exercise a day, for example, a run, walk, or cycle: alone or with members of your household” 

Sauce:  https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/m...-cannot-do

And then Gove said the following on 29th March;

"I would have thought that for most, a walk of up to an hour, or a run of 30 minutes, or a cycle ride between that, depending on their level of fitness, is appropriate,"

Sauce:  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52082781

If the Government advisor who advised social distancing breaks a lockdown rule, it’s hardly surprising others think it’s fine to do so and what with a paltry £30 fine (if paid within 30 days)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/05...-breaking/
(05-09-2020, 07:35 AM)cornishbaggie Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 07:03 AM)Solihull Throstle Wrote:
(05-08-2020, 08:04 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: What do you expect when newspapers like the Mail and Sun have headlines rejoicing that the lockdown will soon be over (leaked by who and for what purpose?) on the eve of a bank holiday? The same week as we have passed over 30k deaths!

This

I have  read the story over and over and not seen that any of them were Sun or Mail readers mentioned anywhere, the pair of you obviously have an insight that I lack.
The Guardian: “UK could relax lockdown for millions.” 5th May.
                       : “Picnics and sunbathing on cards as PM expected to allow more time outside”. 6th May
                         Two thirds of today’s front page focuses on some dead old pop star to be fair. Serious stuff! 

The Independent: “Boris Johnson set to scrap 'stay home' advice and ‘ease lockdown limits on work, parks and exercise’. “.                            . 7th May.

The Daily Star: “Brits ‘can sunbathe, picnic and exercise more' in first stage of lockdown easing.” 3rd May. 
                        : “Magic Monday”. 6th May.
(Strange this august organ wasn’t highlighted for “irresponsible journalism “ !