Gowns from Turkey
(05-08-2020, 02:58 PM)cornishbaggie Wrote:
(05-08-2020, 02:41 PM)Borin\ Baggie Wrote:
(05-08-2020, 01:14 PM)TETLEY74 Wrote:
(05-08-2020, 01:07 PM)Neil Parsley Wrote: Remain extremists who are using the COVID-19 crisis to vicariously attack the Government because they can't get over Brexit: "THE UK SHOULD SOURCE WHATEVER PPE FROM WHEREVER IT CAN!"

The Government: *orders PPE from Turkey which it is assured meets minimum safety standards*

PPE: *turns-out to be inadequate*

Remain extremists who are using the COVID-19 crisis to vicariously attack the Government because they can't get over Brexit: "OH MY GOD!! THEY ORDERED INADEQUATE PPE!!!"

Perfectly put mon.

No it isn't.

Yes it is.
Is this the right room for an argument?
(05-08-2020, 02:59 PM)JOK Wrote:
(05-08-2020, 02:58 PM)cornishbaggie Wrote:
(05-08-2020, 02:41 PM)Borin\ Baggie Wrote:
(05-08-2020, 01:14 PM)TETLEY74 Wrote:
(05-08-2020, 01:07 PM)Neil Parsley Wrote: Remain extremists who are using the COVID-19 crisis to vicariously attack the Government because they can't get over Brexit: "THE UK SHOULD SOURCE WHATEVER PPE FROM WHEREVER IT CAN!"

The Government: *orders PPE from Turkey which it is assured meets minimum safety standards*

Remain extremists who are using the COVID-19 crisis to vicariously attack the Government because they can't get over Brexit: "OH MY GOD!! THEY ORDERED INADEQUATE PPE!!!"

Perfectly put mon.

No it isn't.

Yes it is.
Is this the right room for an argument?

This isn't an argument, it's contradiction!
(05-08-2020, 01:07 PM)Neil Parsley Wrote: Remainers who are using the COVID-19 crisis to vicariously attack the Government because they can't get over Brexit: "THE UK SHOULD SOURCE WHATEVER PPE FROM WHEREVER IT CAN!"

Remainers who are using the COVID-19 crisis to vicariously attack the Government because they can't get over Brexit: "OH MY GOD!! THEY ORDERED INADEQUATE PPE!!!"

NP, I don't come onto the Politic bored very often, but I'm amazed by your enthusiasm for slagging off "remainers". And we haven't "got over" Brexit yet. Let's hold that debate back until we start trying to trade with the world in January 2021.
(05-07-2020, 06:57 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:
(05-07-2020, 06:05 PM)Borin\ Baggie Wrote:
(05-07-2020, 05:55 PM)Tom Joad Wrote: I'm more disillusioned with the fact we can't knock up some gowns and masks any more. How hard is it?

We can and have, it's just that the public sector procurement strategy in this country is stupid. The private sector have asked the government to put in orders as manufacturers have retooled to manufacture goods but the government and PHE have decided not to follow up on that for some stupid reason. Instead, the government decide to indulge the PR strategy for a Tory MP which ends up backfiring massively. Because of that, the companies now manufacturing PPE here have had to sell into the EU markets as the UK market doesn't want to buy them.
Well that is scandalous.

Scandalous but true. Major contracts have been let to third parties to buy the PPE. From The Guardian:

"In recent weeks, ministers have used special powers to bypass normal tendering and award a string of contracts to private companies and management consultants without open competition.

Deloitte, KPMG, Serco, Sodexo, Mitie, Boots and the US data mining group Palantir have secured taxpayer-funded commissions to manage Covid-19 drive-in testing centres, the purchasing of personal protective equipment (PPE) and the building of Nightingale hospitals."

So when a UK producer wants to sell to the NHS, they are rejected by the companies above. Which is why they are selling perfectly good gear abroad while we're buying foreign shit and experiencing shortages. I wonder if Deloitte etc are making any money out of this????
(05-09-2020, 10:59 AM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote:
(05-07-2020, 06:57 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:
(05-07-2020, 06:05 PM)Borin\ Baggie Wrote:
(05-07-2020, 05:55 PM)Tom Joad Wrote: I'm more disillusioned with the fact we can't knock up some gowns and masks any more. How hard is it?

We can and have, it's just that the public sector procurement strategy in this country is stupid. The private sector have asked the government to put in orders as manufacturers have retooled to manufacture goods but the government and PHE have decided not to follow up on that for some stupid reason. Instead, the government decide to indulge the PR strategy for a Tory MP which ends up backfiring massively. Because of that, the companies now manufacturing PPE here have had to sell into the EU markets as the UK market doesn't want to buy them.
Well that is scandalous.

Scandalous but true. Major contracts have been let to third parties to buy the PPE. From The Guardian:

"In recent weeks, ministers have used special powers to bypass normal tendering and award a string of contracts to private companies and management consultants without open competition.

Deloitte, KPMG, Serco, Sodexo, Mitie, Boots and the US data mining group Palantir have secured taxpayer-funded commissions to manage Covid-19 drive-in testing centres, the purchasing of personal protective equipment (PPE) and the building of Nightingale hospitals."

So when a UK producer wants to sell to the NHS, they are rejected by the companies above. Which is why they are selling perfectly good gear abroad while we're buying foreign shit and experiencing shortages. I wonder if Deloitte etc are making any money out of this????

It’s ok we were desperate.... 

Yours Proth