Private sector to the rescue...
Tried and tested
Poor precurement by the state and evil civil servants the issue here.
Do you mind me asking where else you would find 15,000 temporary call handlers? The NHS doesn't have any.
The same place that the private sector company would I guess seeing as they have yet to recruit them
(05-06-2020, 12:28 PM)baggy1 Wrote: The same place that the private sector company would I guess seeing as they have yet to recruit them

The article does point out that the best placed people are available but haven’t been approached. It’s ok though we have SERCO and G4S at the helm who have a great track record of screwing the tax payer over. I can’t imagine anyone would want a private company with this record...

“Last year, the outsourcing giant was fined £19.2m by the Serious Fraud Office as part of a settlement over an electronic tagging scandal, also paying £3.7m in costs.”

Independent Newspaper
(05-06-2020, 12:36 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: I can’t imagine anyone would want a private company with this record...

Yet you all go out clapping for the NHS after Mid Staffs, Alder Hey, Bristol, Shrewsbury & Telford, Morecambe Bay, Gosport. You know, where people actually died. Lots of them.
(05-07-2020, 08:13 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(05-06-2020, 12:36 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: I can’t imagine anyone would want a private company with this record...

Yet you all go out clapping for the NHS after Mid Staffs, Alder Hey, Bristol, Shrewsbury & Telford, Morecambe Bay, Gosport. You know, where people actually died. Lots of them.

No one has ever died at work through negligence in the private sector then? There are bad apples and practices that occur in all sectors. The difference is I wouldn’t be awarding a company that had to pay a multimillion fine for fraudulent activity against the tax payer another opportunity to earn x amount of money. If this was local Labour council doing similar you would be calling it out as a terrible decision but because it’s the team you support it’s perfectly acceptable.

For someone who actively went out and campaigned for a proven liar and a supporting cast who were strangers to the truth to lead this country I might not take any lectures off you about who I show my support for.
(05-07-2020, 08:51 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: because it’s the team you support it’s perfectly acceptable.  

No, because it's the pragmatic and rational thing to do. I know neither of these concepts enter your mind very often, but for the rest of us it seems like a blindingly obvious solution.

Q: We need to quickly recruit thousands of call handlers that we don't have.

A: Commission an organisation with thousands of call handlers.

(05-07-2020, 08:51 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: No one has ever died at work through negligence in the private sector then?

Not on the scale of Gosport or Mid Staffs, no.
NHS employs about half a million. A difficult beast to run and many issues under all governments but the clapping is for the staff who have to work through this crisis putting their lives at risk and isn't really concerned with overall governance and debates on best practice etc and quite rightly. Doesn't mean to say sone nurses and doctors aren't great but thats a minority.
Anyway I'd clap for the Baggies even under TP and even when we had a few choice donkeys playing for us.
(05-07-2020, 09:05 AM)Protheroe Wrote: Q: We need to quickly recruit thousands of call handlers that we don't have.

A: Commission an organisation with thousands of call handlers.

As pointed out above, they actually haven't got them yet so they will have to recruit them - the same as if they had done this within the public sector. Nothing to do with giving contracts to their mates of course.