UK Covid death toll
(05-20-2020, 03:09 PM)Protheroe Wrote: Thanks guys, it's been a long time coming and so we're hardly unprepared. She's comfortable which is the most important thing.

Difficult to know how to put this, but whatever the outcome, and however it goes, I hope she continues to be comfortable and well cared for.
(05-20-2020, 03:09 PM)Protheroe Wrote: Thanks guys, it's been a long time coming and so we're hardly unprepared. She's comfortable which is the most important thing.

Sorry to hear about your Mom as Ossian said I hope she is comfortable and you and your family are ok.
Had it confirmed yesterday that the figures that the govt put out each day are the deaths that have had a positive Covid-19 test.

They don’t like to show the figure that is the number of deaths with Covid-19 on the death cert. As at 8th May that was 41,020. Forget the 55k extra deaths year on year, this govt are trying to paint a rosy picture and it will all come out eventually.

Wake the fuck up
Did anyone else see the 41k figure appear on the deaths slides today. That 36k figure is about 10k short now, the govt trying to put the real figure in as a footnote and will say they were showing it all along
(05-24-2020, 09:33 PM)baggy1 Wrote: Did anyone else see the 41k figure appear on the deaths slides today. That 36k figure is about 10k short now, the govt trying to put the real figure in as a footnote and will say they were showing it all along

Can't believe this government would want to keep the truth from us.
It's not like their whole approach has been a complete clusterfuck that has cost thousands of lives.
The figures for the week ending 15th May are out and there is a big obvious pattern developing in that this is vastly disproportionate on the over 65s. Year on year deaths to date is now over 58k excess this year compared to last, and of that over 53k are over 65. One stat to be watched is the excess deaths per week which was dropping but has plateaued / slightly increased for this week (wk 16: 13.3k excess; wk 17: 11.9k; wk 18: 6.7k; wk 19: 3.6k; and wk 20: 4.3k)

Because the government tried to fudge the figures in the 1st place to downplay the deaths they've painted themselves into a corner now. The focus of the recovery should be to restore public confidence around the under 65s by showing them the stats and have a effective proposal of how to get the over 65s back into society.

One note of caution is that these 58k excess deaths have occurred following a lockdown so they would obviously be magnified without it. I am taking the approach of sit and wait in the meantime anyway because I want to see what happens two or three weeks on from the lifting of restrictions a few days ago.

Excess deaths by age group:
Under 45s - 200
45s-64 - 4,839
over 65s - 53,391

Realistically there needs to be an effective track and trace monitoring system in place before anything but we are miles off that at the moment apparently.

Just noticed this on the Beeb with pictures saying the same thing but splitting out the over 75s : https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52807376

It does have one good point in there that I had forgotten - My figures are only for England and Wales, there are an extra 5k + from Scotland and Northern Ireland to add to the 58k figure above.
450 deaths under 45.

We’ve got the data and it’s clear who is and isn’t at risk here. Get the pubs open.
That's deaths Malc, that doesn't mean they can't catch it, be very ill with it, and have long term health issues because of it. It also doesn't mean that they can't carry it and infect many others with it which will ultimately affect the over 65s. We have to treat this disease as a community rather than take the view 'well, I won't die from it and I need a pint'.
As an aside I wonder what the year on year comparisons for other infectious disease deaths are ?

I would imagine with the lockdown the number of people dying from flu etc is well down compared with the average of the past few years.
True shabs as with road deaths etc. One scary figure I saw yesterday was that the number of cancer diagnoses was down 60,000 this year. That is probably due to individuals not going to hospital to get tested which can only lead to longer term problems.