100, 000 daily tests
(05-06-2020, 07:53 PM)Loanee Wrote:
(05-01-2020, 05:15 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote: Surprised not to see a post on here congratulating the hitting of this target. Or do we only do criticism?

Any updates?

European death rate champions 2020.

Congrats BJ and Handcock
CunninghamIsMissing
Me and the wife have got one tomorrow
Hope it is good news for you mate
(05-02-2020, 02:18 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(05-02-2020, 11:45 AM)Pickle Rick Wrote: calculated to give a good impression of themselves) - the blame or praise game of much of the media means they have little choice, depressingly.

Popularism that the Conservative’s have now embraced and copied from the Trump playbook is a far cry from previous political tactics used in this country. We are now seeing politicians blatantly lying, giving alternative ‘facts’, refusing ever to apologise or say they have got things wrong. The press has numerous outlets simply reporting the party line it’s really not healthy. This isn’t a case of twas was thus. I hear this argument a lot from people justifying the indefensible. I doubt the prize those that voted for them will be what they hoped it was when they ‘won.’

PR is right in saying politicians have always 'exaggerated' - right back to Egyptian times - and I'm sure before. As I've gone on about before, the consequences of Blair's lies in the runup to the Gulf War make this look like kid's stuff.

What does seem new, though, is the blatant lying that even the most simple fact-checking can catch out. 

I read one analysis which was about Trump, but I think would apply equally to this government. It basically said the political damage caused by being caught out lying has been reduced to almost nil. Your supporters won't care and will probably still believe you. Your opposition will think you're a liar, but it doesn't matter because they were never going to vote for you anyway. You may, however, reach the swing voters if you hit the right button with your 'interpretations'.

Lying has become non-news. Not because the journalists are lazy, but because the electorate aren't interested.

I believe the lying is our fault. A politician is what he is by nature and will do what he can to win. Like kids, If we make lying no risk and profitable , then don't be surprised if they grow up to be liars.

Saying 'it's always been this way, therefore it's okay' is one of the chief causes of this behaviour imo. Another is over the top criticism when targets are not met. Another is refusing to hold your own 'side' accountable when they lie.

Having said that, the review when this is all over will make interesting reading....I can see that going on for years!
Why do the media make a turd of everything? Wallowing in something 70 years old mocking the Germans. This is the same Germans who have us and the US look like amateurs over the virus, 

[Image: EXaKu2AWoAExew3?format=jpg&name=medium]
(05-07-2020, 02:14 PM)bradesbaggie Wrote: Why do the media make a turd of everything? Wallowing in something 70 years old mocking the Germans. This is the same Germans who have us and the US look like amateurs over the virus, 
Is it mocking? Doesn't it make sense when we have to all work together to defeat an enemy to draw inspiration from a time when we successfully managed it?
Not a huge fan of patriotism to be honest, but I can see the logic even though I personally fond it a little distasteful. I really think it's stretching to call it 'mocking', though!

Of course, if you then go on to extrapolate we're somehow better than the germans after reading the article, you've probably taken things a little too far...
As it's in The Mail, shouldn't it be 'we' associate it with loss, rather than 'they'?
(05-01-2020, 05:15 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote: Surprised not to see a post on here congratulating the hitting of this target. Or do we only do criticism?

Any further updates?
(05-08-2020, 08:03 PM)Loanee Wrote:

Any further updates?

Yeah, it's still not at 100,000