100, 000 daily tests
“Oh I see the bitter reds haven’t bothered congratulating the government on this fantastic achievement...”

“The figures are bollocks.”

“Oh well, politicians are all liars aren’t they?”

Brilliant.
(05-01-2020, 08:28 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(05-01-2020, 06:03 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote:
(05-01-2020, 05:54 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Testing

It’s going in the right direction and very creditable achievement given the placidity of capacity to test barely a month ago but why the constant need to treat people as kids and spin things?

Politicians unfortunately DH.

If there is one thing this cabinet is great at it’s been economical with the truth.

It's a common thing among all politicians and not restricted to a particular party
(05-01-2020, 08:55 PM)The liquidator Wrote: Name one MP who isnt ?

Umm struggling with that one bud!
The argument all politicians lie has merit of course but the current government are Trumpian in their approach and for their core supporters that may be acceptable as long as they are ‘winning’ but this lack of moral and factual compass as long as you get what you want is corrosive to politics over the long term and simply creates division and resentment. We are told frequently it’s time the country comes together but that’s asking people who feel they have seen liars run roughshod over decency in democracy to win at all costs to get onboard with it and that’s a bus millions of us won’t to get on.

I don’t expect the Cultists that supports Johnson to ever admit this to themselves but they will accept pretty much anything as long as long as they are winning and most don't even know what the prize is.
(05-02-2020, 08:21 AM)Malcolm Tucker Wrote: “Oh I see the bitter reds haven’t bothered congratulating the government on this fantastic achievement...”

“The figures are bollocks.”

“Oh well, politicians are all liars aren’t they?”

Brilliant.

Didn't mention a party.

Didnt say the figures were bollocks

Didn't say all politicians are liars.

122k tests is not true though . It's 73k. That's still amazing andets hope it continues to rise rapidly.

Thus no reason for a lie as everyone should at least be happy we are getting close and let's face it 100k is a nonsense number. 300k would be better as would 123k.
It is the nature of modern politics and media sadly to spin in both directions - anything good will be spun as bad by the opposition parties and certain aspects of the media, anything bad a party does spun as good or reasonable by them and some parts of the media, because they know the opposition and other media will spin at as even worse than bad and call for all sorts of repercussions etc

so the spinning culture is circular and feeds itself and party supporters or opponents will tend to pick the news they like and call it good journalism and decry what they don't like as bad journalism and bias, thereby being adherents themselves to the game of spin, though condemning the spin they do not agree with of course

but the winning over substance is not new for our political parties though and was highlighted by Jo Grimond (ex Liberal leader and MP for Shetland and Orkney for ages) in his memoirs in 1979

"I mention this new departure because it may deeply affect the future of Orkney and Shetland. It is also symptomatic of the new outlook. The schoolmasters and hecklers at the back of the Lerwick Town Hall, the writers and readers of the local newspapers (at the end of the War) were concerned about large political issues. They resolutely held to Liberal, Labour or Conservative principles.
"They read or argued about politics and wrestled with general questions affecting mankind. Now politics are more like the running of a faceless conglomerate. The local directors leave many decisions to their officials and few people are interested in what aims the parent company should pursue so long as it pays off.
"That the party system needs revision has long been my view. But I adhere to my belief that political principles should set our course."

He may be right about the party system - it is all about winning now - but the genie is out of the bottle and changing it won't help unless the media is also revised - which it won't be - there is just so much media now and any attempt to police it or get it to self police will be blocked (rightly to some degree) as an attack on freedom of speech - so politicians and their parties have to deal with this which does not encourage transparency or even honesty, and certainly not admitting mistakes or praising opponents (unless calculated to give a good impression of themselves) - the blame or praise game of much of the media means they have little choice, depressingly.
(05-01-2020, 05:15 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote: Surprised not to see a post on here congratulating the hitting of this target. Or do we only do criticism?

Round of applause for arriving 2 months late in the greatest crisis since WW2
(05-02-2020, 01:15 PM)HeathAyIt Wrote:
(05-01-2020, 05:15 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote: Surprised not to see a post on here congratulating the hitting of this target. Or do we only do criticism?

Round of applause for arriving 2 months late in the greatest crisis since WW2

Yet some on here can't wait to give BJ and Handcock a reacharound.
(05-02-2020, 11:45 AM)Pickle Rick Wrote: It is the nature of modern politics and media sadly to spin in both directions - anything good will be spun as bad by the opposition parties and certain aspects of the media, anything bad a party does spun as good or reasonable by them and some parts of the media, because they know the opposition and other media will spin at as even worse than bad and call for all sorts of repercussions etc

so the spinning culture is circular and feeds itself and party supporters or opponents will tend to pick the news they like and call it good journalism and decry what they don't like as bad journalism and bias, thereby being adherents themselves to the game of spin, though condemning the spin they do not agree with of course

but the winning over substance is not new for our political parties though and was highlighted by Jo Grimond (ex Liberal leader and MP for Shetland and Orkney for ages) in his memoirs in 1979

"I mention this new departure because it may deeply affect the future of Orkney and Shetland. It is also symptomatic of the new outlook. The schoolmasters and hecklers at the back of the Lerwick Town Hall, the writers and readers of the local newspapers (at the end of the War) were concerned about large political issues. They resolutely held to Liberal, Labour or Conservative principles.
"They read or argued about politics and wrestled with general questions affecting mankind. Now politics are more like the running of a faceless conglomerate. The local directors leave many decisions to their officials and few people are interested in what aims the parent company should pursue so long as it pays off.
"That the party system needs revision has long been my view. But I adhere to my belief that political principles should set our course."

He may be right about the party system - it is all about winning now - but the genie is out of the bottle and changing it won't help unless the media is also revised - which it won't be - there is just so much media now and any attempt to police it or get it to self police will be blocked (rightly to some degree) as an attack on freedom of speech - so politicians and their parties have to deal with this which does not encourage transparency or even honesty, and certainly not admitting mistakes or praising opponents (unless calculated to give a good impression of themselves) - the blame or praise game of much of the media means they have little choice, depressingly.

Popularism that the Conservative’s have now embraced and copied from the Trump playbook is a far cry from previous political tactics used in this country. We are now seeing politicians blatantly lying, giving alternative ‘facts’, refusing ever to apologise or say they have got things wrong. The press has numerous outlets simply reporting the party line it’s really not healthy. This isn’t a case of twas was thus. I hear this argument a lot from people justifying the indefensible. I doubt the prize those that voted for them will be what they hoped it was when they ‘won.’
Targets missed 4 days in a row.....