BBC Panorama
Here is the story
Not even worth a click the bbc bias is shameful
(04-28-2020, 10:16 AM)The liquidator Wrote: Not even worth a click the bbc bias is shameful

It will be interesting if the Government come back with some response on this one. What frustrates me is that they are doing a good job in some areas but seem to feel it is impossible to say that they made mistakes and face up to the consequences. There have been some bad decisions but trying to cover up those bad decisions makes them worse rather than better.

Still they have cult members that refuse to hear a bad thing about them (see above) and they must be relying on them to get them re-elected in the future.

I liked the stat that one glove, not a pair, counts as PPE numerically which obviously makes the effort look better.
(04-28-2020, 10:16 AM)The liquidator Wrote: Not even worth a click the bbc bias is shameful

Arf and what news outlets do you listen, watch read that are bias free?
(04-28-2020, 09:22 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Here is the story

The government needs to be very careful that its failure to deliver on responsibilities - and commitments - doesn't undermine this whole process; or even worse collapse it completely.

The progress that's been made so far is largely down to the vast majority of the general public doing what's been asked of them, together with the absolutely heroic efforts of NHS staff and other frontline workers. If the government consistently fails to do its bit there's a risk of that compliant majority becoming disillusioned and, even worse, splintering.
  • 19 March - Boris Johnson: we will be "ramping up daily testing from 5,000 a day, to 10,000 to 25,000 and then up at 250,000 within weeks". Okay, maybe there's nobody left who believes a word he says - but he did say it.
  • Two weeks later (02 April) - Matt Hancock lowering expectations and revising the target down to "100,000 tests per day by the end of April". That's this week, and as of the end of last week we were running at about 20% of that figure.
Those are direct and verifiable commitments by the PM and the Health Secretary; the questions over adequate provision and quality of PPE equipment won't go away. You couldn't blame the public for thinking that we're delivering on our part of the bargain, when are the politicians going to do the same.

Let's hope it doesn't get to that.
A quick google and there's stories of problems sourcing PPE in a hell of a lot of countries. We're not the only ones. Its been a ruthless scrap for PPE. Very much every country for themselves. Its a shit situation but there simply wasn't enough PPE in the world. For every batch we got, some other country lost out, and vice versa.
(04-28-2020, 11:14 AM)backsidebaggie Wrote: A quick google and there's stories of problems sourcing PPE in a hell of a lot of countries. We're not the only ones. Its been a ruthless scrap for PPE. Very much every country for themselves. Its a shit situation but there simply wasn't enough PPE in the world. For every batch we got, some other country lost out, and vice versa.

The point is we failed to stockpile PPE despite reports, lists and warnings given long before the event and going back as far as 2009. I appreciate this current incarnation of our government didn’t have as long to prepare but the party itself had enough time to be better prepared.
(04-28-2020, 11:41 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(04-28-2020, 11:14 AM)backsidebaggie Wrote: A quick google and there's stories of problems sourcing PPE in a hell of a lot of countries. We're not the only ones. Its been a ruthless scrap for PPE. Very much every country for themselves. Its a shit situation but there simply wasn't enough PPE in the world. For every batch we got, some other country lost out, and vice versa.

The argument is we failed to stockpile PPE since the list of what was needed was created in 2009.

Yeah I know, my point was purely that most of the world was in the same boat and was short of PPE too. We weren't the only ones. Hence the mad scramble.
(04-28-2020, 11:46 AM)backsidebaggie Wrote:
(04-28-2020, 11:41 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:

The argument is we failed to stockpile PPE since the list of what was needed was created in 2009.

Yeah I know, my point was purely that most of the world was in the same boat and was short of PPE too. We weren't the only ones. Hence the mad scramble.

I think the general public will accept the mad panic for supplies once the pandemic was underway, but this government had plenty of notice and advice that some form of stockpiling was needed. They ignored that advice and, if it is true, the allegation that they 'downgraded' the virus very recently to ensure that the PPE supplies weren't covered by law is shocking.
(04-28-2020, 11:02 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:

Arf and what news outlets do you listen, watch read that are bias free?

I dont even bother now flick sky news on and you have Bolton and Rigby just as one eyed as cyclops.......its not scrutiny is bias and I've given up on the bbc .....the only thing I watch is the press papers at 22.30 on sky news