Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
We're back
Well done Birdy. I've missed this dump. Thought it was my lack of IT knowledge causing me access probs.!!
(04-23-2016, 04:11 PM)swordfish Wrote: Well done Birdy. I've missed this dump. Thought it was my lack of IT knowledge causing me access probs.!!

That was my problem.
Cheers Birdy
(04-22-2016, 03:47 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: Well that was an interesting week. I've managed to inform some people as much as I could on Facebook , and I know Rich has been doing the same himself and on Twitter but I shall explain to everyone exactly what has happened and why we lost the forum for so long.

On Thursday my old server host, 123reg received a complaint from court that we had a thread speaking about a court injunction, specifically this nonsense over a threesome, now as far as I was aware there was no issue with that thread so none of us mods removed it. Now the host didn't e-mail me, or phone me, or anything, they just dropped a message in the support centre for me, and area I'm only likely to go if there is a problem, telling me I had 24 hours to remove the thread or the server would be suspended. I didn't get that message.

The next day the server was taken offline, that was Friday afternoon, I messaged them and asked to restore the server and I would immediately remove said thread. I heard nothing for a couple of days. On the Saturday they mentioned a few VPS customers had trouble accessing their LIVE servers, however mine wasn't live so I thought nothing of it, however they had put ours live at some point early Saturday morning, minutes before they killed it with a faulty script that has caused them chaos. As of writing this, my server is still lost, and they are having a lot of issues with customers rightly kicking off.

Last week was the worst possible time for this to happen, I had two big deadlines for Uni so had no time to sort it, today (Friday, a week on from the initial closure) I had enough time to get a new server and re set the board. We have however lost everything from the last 3, nearly 4 years. I am hoping once I get my old server back I can sort that out, but I can't promise anything right now. I have backups, they are so large it crashed the server trying to upload it.

I shall spend the weekend getting the forum back straight, the right sticky posts and so on put up, but for now just welcome back everyone, missed you all!

Well done in sorting. Your Uni work is far more important though!

I have to confess I didn't miss this place one bit but I suppose it passes the time.
Good Work Birdy, tbf I remember when a similar server problem happened 8 years or so ago on .com it was a complete nightmare as you say the backups are so larger they just keep crashing. We gave up at the end and just started again.
Well done Birdy....missed this place in a strange kind of way
Thumbs Up 
(04-22-2016, 05:02 PM)Fido Wrote:
(04-22-2016, 04:38 PM)rustynail Wrote: Is Samba's thread saved ?

It is here

Brilliant even if it is only up to 2012, it's better than nothing at all.

Well done in getting the board back up & running I wondered what the hell had happened when I couldn't log on, I've had to re register though like a lot of others.
(04-22-2016, 08:45 PM)TartanRug Wrote: Thanks Birdman for getting this working again and enabling me to waste half my working day again Big Grin

I thought the double penalty miss had finally melted the site down for good.

Just think of the poor bored veterans having to build their reputations back up from zero again

There are no bored "veterans" left on here pal bar the odd couple.

Be told.
(05-05-2016, 08:48 PM)albion_pigeon Wrote:
(04-22-2016, 08:45 PM)TartanRug Wrote: Thanks Birdman for getting this working again and enabling me to waste half my working day again Big Grin

I thought the double penalty miss had finally melted the site down for good.

Just think of the poor bored veterans having to build their reputations back up from zero again

There are no bored "veterans" left on here pal bar the odd couple.

Be told.

Fuck me, i've been here 17 years FFS.