Papering over the...
(04-09-2019, 10:57 PM)Pragmatist Wrote:
(04-09-2019, 09:31 PM)EastMidsBaggie Wrote:
(04-09-2019, 09:16 PM)Cuzer Wrote: Let’s not go there ay?

As much as the second half was better, frankly it couldn’t have been any worse, we still lack in so many areas

To me it clearly shows the current management or the players for that matter have no idea what are best system is

We don’t have the quality wide or the legs in center mid to play 442

3 at the back we keep the ball better but are susceptible to sides getting down the channels against us, however we can play Jayrod alongside Gayle

433 Gayle generally plays wide and he’s wasted

Where do we go with it? The strongest case is probably 352, try and get Phillips playing in behind the front two, where Barnes used to for us

Individually we have some serious issues

Bartley is just tosh, I commented when we signed him I’d never seen him have a good game against us and he’s still not played well to date, 6m quid is disgusting, woeful defending for the 2nd, parks stuff

Townsend full of energy and effort, just a league above where he should be playing

Harper, is he believing his own hype? This contract nonsense, he’s barely good enough to be playing in the Championship currently, he doesn’t do enough to play center midfield and must work on his game, bench at best currently

Tosin, confidence looks shot, going from bad to worse, worrying if we want to play 3 at the back, him, Hegazi and Dawson would be my best 3

Holgate, needs to pull his finger out his arse, so good when he first came in, bombed forward at every opportunity, tonight first half even at 3 nil down he never crossed the half way line, everything was down Townsend’s side, why isn’t he getting forward? Instruction? Confidence?

Livermore, needs to step up, way too inconsistent currently

Johansen for me is putting the others to shame with his drive and energy, he can be careless at times but he puts twice as much in than Livermore, Brunt, Harper etc at present

Shan for me lost credit when he thought we played OK at Millwall, personally I thought we were shocking and his reluctance to bring in an experience coach is borderline arrogant given his lack of experience. As others have said, he’s doing his best given the situation and the blame for that must lie with Jenkins and the twats in charge 

They need to bring in somebody to replace or work alongside Shan before Saturday, this season has been full of mistakes, Moore getting the job with promotion clearly being the be all and end all, he was never experienced enough and Smith or Johnson would have been a far better appointment then  not replacing Moore quickly resulting in the mess we now have with Shan. Chuck in the season ticket farce, no yellow and green away kits since November....the list goes on, time for them to grow some balls and make the right call now before we draw a line through the whole season

Whoever is the next manager and whatever league we’re in they have a huge job given the amount of loans, players likely wanting out etc, every day passing now just makes that job harder for me

Cuzer

Hard to disagree with most of that.
Except, who’s this Phillips guy you mentioned?

Exactly. Need to get Phillips off the physios coach before we decide where to play him.  We really are bereft without him, and we also miss Barry.  But above all we really struggle without Hegazi.  Need all 3 of them for the playoffs

We've not won without Hegazi all season.
Our best XI?

SJ

Dawson Hegazi Tosin

Holgate Barry Johansen Gibbs

Phillips

Jayrod Gayle
(04-09-2019, 11:39 PM)Cuzer Wrote: Our best XI?

SJ

Dawson Hegazi Tosin

Holgate Barry Johansen Gibbs

Phillips

Jayrod Gayle

Looks decent. The key to that is Barry. If we have the Barry of the second half against Sheff Utd away, the one who's out-thinking everyone on the pitch, then we'll have a chance.

If it's the Barry that played against Boro, probably not.
If we're putting most of our faith in the hope that the gutless sick note Phillips will somehow save our season then we really are up shit creek.
(04-09-2019, 10:40 PM)Lightnin Wrote: Does anybody know a formation that plays 4 at the back, 5 in midfield and 2 up top? That's what we seem to need.

Eleven outfield players.   We would still struggle !
I think nothing sums up our season more than this. Barry remains our best midfield player, but at his age he cannot realistically be expected to play every minute of every game. Its the conundrum of the midfield how to maintain consistency with a group of players who are very much in the evening of their careers.

It would be interesting stat to find out, how many games have Brunt, Morrison, Barry and Livermore missed through injury and suspension this season, then compare that to the key midfield players of our rivals and see how much game time they have missed.
There have been enough comments from our management team and directors that we didn't have bundles of cash to spare and spend this season as we we're using it to keep the majority of this squad together to give us the best possible chance of a return to the Premier League. Well, we aren't making a very good fist of it in my opinion.

Whilst we are still somehow 4th in the league, we've struggled on so many occassions with not knowing our best team, not knowing our best formation, not being able to play to the squads strengths and having virtually no in game management week after week. You have to wonder, if we'd had that, where would we be now? We've thrown away so many points with just sloppy play and it still keeps happening.

We were probably right to sack Big Dave as much as I like him and he'll always be a club legend but to have no plan on who to bring in is just as bad a scenario as sacking him. We are now limping to the line and hoping to get over it based on the quality still in the squad just as we've done for a long time. No direction on the pitch and what seems like a lack of desire from the players to really mix it up when it's needed. That soft under belly is still there and the weak links are there for all to see including the opposition who at least sometimes have the tactical nous to do something with it.

The past 2 games have been pathetic and the 2nd half showing last night when Bristol didn't need to do anything is not a get out of jail card. Whilst we beat Blues, Brentford and Swansea, we could have easily lost them all too. We are probably only 4 or 6 points of having the play offs wrapped up and we've got 2 home games now where we must try and build some foundations again. I'm fed up of hearing the players talk about momentum then not show up to believe anything they say anymore but we clearly need a manager that needs to get to grips with these players and quickly. Just amazed that one wasn't lined up!
(04-10-2019, 06:42 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote: I think nothing sums up our season more than this. Barry remains our best midfield player, but at his age he cannot realistically be expected to play every minute of every game. Its the conundrum of the midfield how to maintain consistency with a group of players who are very much in the evening of their careers.

It would be interesting stat to find out, how many games have Brunt, Morrison, Barry and Livermore missed through injury and suspension this season, then compare that to the key midfield players of our rivals and see how much game time they have missed.
Our midfield is the problem, and has been from day one, too old and too slow.
(04-09-2019, 11:39 PM)Cuzer Wrote: Our best XI?

SJ

Dawson   Hegazi   Tosin

Holgate  Barry Johansen Gibbs

Phillips

Jayrod    Gayle

Stick Livermore in for Barry and Barry in for Tosin, then we've got a deal.
The fact that after our great position just a few short weeks ago we are now looking over our shoulders says it all.
Our Club appears to think about promotion like May does about Brexit, pretends to want it but in reality doing everything to avoid it.
I think we are in a real mess, our squad was a shoe in for top six and we seem to be doing our best to blow that.
Sacking Moore without a plan was rubbish, and I don't think we have ever had a plan at all to be honest.
We just seem to go with the flow, the only strategy appears to be to balance the books, regardless of which division we are in.
I don't think anyone at the club hankers after promotion at all, its is just a ploy to fob off supporters, pretending to be ambitious when the total lack of ambition is plain for us all to see.