Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Dave As Manager?
Without risking being called a twat, again my head is still saying no - for all the reasons mentioned last week.

My heart wants him appointed now. The bloke is a true gent. But results aren’t gained by being Mr Nice, are they?

However he has done himself no harm today - that’s as good as I’ve seen us play since Liverpool away. To a man we were excellent.

Which begs the question, why now? Why wasn’t this produced for our home games against Saints, Huddersfield and Swansea? Why?
We were ok v Swans. But he should have been in the dug out after Southampton at home in the League.
I love the bloke and I want him to be part of the club and I would love him to manage us in the future. However, he's not ready for the size of the job in hand. He would end up getting chewed up and spat out and I think it's better for his career if he can work as an assistant for a couple of years with us or as a manager lower down.
Yesterday's performance was vintage Megson of our first promotion season. Lion hearted, gut busting effort, organisation and simple counter attacking. Whining little bitches would soon get bored with it and want "the next level" and "more entertainment." We've been starved of heart and effort since the arrival of Pardew. We'll done big man and cheers
Have to say I sat at home last night thinking about this and reached the same conclusion as you Rich. I honestly thought he was superb post match but it's one game, yet many were calling Pardiola a genius after the Liverpool game. I loved the way Henry on Sky summed up 'give him the job'. I want Big Dave at our club for many years to come. I want him to learn his trade with an experienced coach over the net few years and then once proven assume the Head Coach role. If the appointment of the new interim DOF is anything to go by, I suspect our new coach will be a bit leftfield and will not possibly be a name we're all discussing right now. This will possibly really help him learn new skills and strengthen his skill set for the future.
I would love to see his new role as one of two assistants. There's definitely a role their too for maybe Shakey or Appleton (poss the latter is less likely) in my opinion too. 
Big Dave is a club legend and is up there with Big Cyrille and a few select others. If he does end up our manager I want him to have the best opportunity to succeed and not be on the receiving end of abuse from so called 'fans' because he wasn't quite ready.
Anyone who abuses the likes of Big Dave, regardless of results is no fan of this Club.
(04-16-2018, 09:15 AM)richbaggie Wrote: I love the bloke and I want him to be part of the club and I would love him to manage us in the future. However, he's not ready for the size of the job in hand. He would end up getting chewed up and spat out and I think it's better for his career if he can work as an assistant for a couple of years with us or as a manager lower down.

I think this is right. Lovely bloke and a legend, but no quite ready for the big job yet.

The good news for him though is that he is doing his chances of getting a lower league gig no harm at all right now. A strong last few matches will hopefully help land him a managerial roll over the summer.
(04-15-2018, 06:56 PM)KratosBaggie Wrote: Without risking being called a twat, again my head is still saying no - for all the reasons mentioned last week.

My heart wants him appointed now. The bloke is a true gent. But results aren’t gained by being Mr Nice, are they?

However he has done himself no harm today - that’s as good as I’ve seen us play since Liverpool away. To a man we were excellent.

Which begs the question, why now? Why wasn’t this produced for our home games against Saints, Huddersfield and Swansea? Why?

Twat!

But it was a risk worth taking!  Big Grin
(04-16-2018, 09:15 AM)richbaggie Wrote: I love the bloke and I want him to be part of the club and I would love him to manage us in the future. However, he's not ready for the size of the job in hand. He would end up getting chewed up and spat out and I think it's better for his career if he can work as an assistant for a couple of years with us or as a manager lower down.

I don't want him going anywhere whatever is decided.

I can see him leading us in the Chump personally. As a player and Captain he guided us and Derby to promotion. He knows the division inside out and he can clearly get players to respect him and play for him.

If he is to be a number two then someone like Potter would be ideal imo.
Big Dave, Mooro, whatever we call him. You can see straight away the togetherness between the players and him, they don't call him gaffer or boss but they all know who is in charge and they all respect him. There is a bit of a confidence back in the team, a little bit of swagger now they all seem to know their roles, not just as individuals but as a team. It's all too late to stop us being relegated but at least a bit of fight has appeared that will stand us on good footings for next season rather than starting off with a losing mentality.