Culture Wars
I'm not friendly with anyone on here I dont know anybody so why should I.
Put him on ignore. He offers nothing.

Also, that definition of centre left sounds like something from 100 years ago. The major issue of our time is tax and public spending. Low tax on high earners and allowing large corps to pay nothing leads to low public spending and increasing wealth inequality. What spending there is, is funneled to the same old cronies unfairly. Tories are happy to cut huge swathes of society loose and let them rot, while keeping their mates in yachts and helicopters.

Regarding the "culture war" I'm quite happy with the way it's going ? the likes of proth would've been spluttering into their brandy at the club at the idea of a 40 hr week or women voting in previous generations. "cultural Marxism" christ alive ??
(06-23-2020, 09:49 AM)The liquidator Wrote: I'm not friendly with anyone on here I dont know anybody so why should I.

No problem at least I know where I stand.
I will be civil DH but I've told you before you look down on people and I wont have it one bit that's nothing personal to you.
(06-23-2020, 09:51 AM)ChamonixBaggie Wrote: Regarding the "culture war" I'm quite happy with the way it's going ? the likes of proth would've been spluttering into their brandy at the club at the idea of a 40 hr week or women voting in previous generations. "cultural Marxism" christ alive ??

Why would a liberal be against votes for women? Or indeed restricting people to working only 40 hours if they wanted to work for longer?

You are odd.

(06-23-2020, 08:58 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(06-23-2020, 08:17 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(06-23-2020, 08:14 AM)baggy1 Wrote: They are fiddling whilst we burn.

Doesn't alter the fact that everything Dekka cites as centre left is in place under a Tory government. And most of it working rather well.

You know I agree with you about how useless government (generally) is, but Dekka's policy programme is in place. No amount of deflection can alter that fact.

Answer the questions what you would have done differently and give an example of right of centre government so we can compare and contrast. You campaigned for a useless, truth twisting government own it rather than trying to run away from it.

Btw there is nothing centre left that supports giving millions / billions without proper tendering, allowing an advisor to be above scrutiny or sanction whilst receiving undemocratic power, trying at various stages to throw NHS staff, scientists and teachers under the bus, or ignoring the protection of those shielding to deflect from the awful mess they made and of things since the election.

YOU started this thread. YOU defined what YOU meant by "centre left".

YOU currently have everything YOU want from YOUR little manifesto, and YOU simply can't argue to the contrary.

And then YOU post this, and in the next breath would accuse me of whataboutery. Hilarious. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
(06-23-2020, 09:58 AM)The liquidator Wrote: I will be civil DH but I've told you before you look down on people and I wont have it one bit that's nothing personal to you.

Do you want a list of the names I’ve been called on here, insinuations of intellect, two or three threats of violence etc for not towing the line when it comes to what I should think. We aren’t talking politics when those things arose we are talking about something as trivial as who are manager is. 

I’ll keep on keepin on and if it upsets fair enough.

(06-23-2020, 10:43 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(06-23-2020, 09:51 AM)ChamonixBaggie Wrote: Regarding the "culture war" I'm quite happy with the way it's going ? the likes of proth would've been spluttering into their brandy at the club at the idea of a 40 hr week or women voting in previous generations. "cultural Marxism" christ alive ??

Why would a liberal be against votes for women? Or indeed restricting people to working only 40 hours if they wanted to work for longer?

You are odd.

(06-23-2020, 08:58 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(06-23-2020, 08:17 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(06-23-2020, 08:14 AM)baggy1 Wrote: They are fiddling whilst we burn.

Doesn't alter the fact that everything Dekka cites as centre left is in place under a Tory government. And most of it working rather well.

You know I agree with you about how useless government (generally) is, but Dekka's policy programme is in place. No amount of deflection can alter that fact.

Answer the questions what you would have done differently and give an example of right of centre government so we can compare and contrast. You campaigned for a useless, truth twisting government own it rather than trying to run away from it.

Btw there is nothing centre left that supports giving millions / billions without proper tendering, allowing an advisor to be above scrutiny or sanction whilst receiving undemocratic power, trying at various stages to throw NHS staff, scientists and teachers under the bus, or ignoring the protection of those shielding to deflect from the awful mess they made and of things since the election.

YOU started this thread. YOU defined what YOU meant by "centre left".

YOU currently have everything YOU want from YOUR little manifesto, and YOU simply can't argue to the contrary.

And then YOU post this, and in the next breath would accuse me of whataboutery. Hilarious. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

No you won’t answer any question about what you consider right wing government so we can compare.
Also the fact is this situation was foisted upon the government when it comes to financial support it isn’t their default position and stop being so deliberately obtuse to pretend otherwise. 

You also avoided on another thread what you would have done differently. I expect you would have just thrown people to the wolves financially? If I’m wrong please tell us what you would have done?
(06-23-2020, 10:54 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: No you won’t answer any question about what you consider right wing government so we can compare.
Also the fact is this situation was foisted upon the government when it comes to financial support it isn’t their default position and stop being so deliberately obtuse to pretend otherwise. 

You also avoided on another thread what you would have done differently. I expect you would have just thrown people to the wolves financially? If I’m wrong please tell us what you would have done?

I've waxed lyrical for a couple of decades on here about what I'd prefer. If you haven't read any of that I'm not about to repeat myself.

I'm not sure what you mean by "throwing people to the wolves financially"? The Tory Party has lost me as a member partly because they've done just that. I'm looking forward to the Inquiry into the handling of this, as it will show once again that Corporate Welfare has been the biggest spend - just as it was in 2008. Sod the individual, sod the small company director, sod the restauranteur, sod the parent who can't work because the schools are closed.

You are wrong, you're always wrong. You make the same daft assumptions all the time - why? Because you instinctively believe anyone from the right is evil, whereas I just think you're mistaken.
(06-23-2020, 10:54 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:

Just in the interest of balance / accuracy and your statement. Her are some measures this Tory government put in their last budget. (sadly, now mostly defunct due to some obscure reason):

Parents who lose a child will receive two weeks' paid bereavement leave.
Living Wage up by an average of 5.8%. (4 times rate of inflation. Wages rose by 2.9% 2018/19)
Everyone permanently injured in NI trouble will receive compensation / pensions for life.
Statutory sick pay to start on day one during Civid19 virus (If required) {it was}
Abolishing VAT on sanitary products. (Couldn’t be done in E.U.)
Abolishing V.A.T on books and academic journals.
Rise in threshold before NI is paid. Meaning 500,000 will not pay. Others will save £85 per year.
Pensions raised. Triple lock kept for this government period. (Remember the usual suspect on here saying it would be done away with)
Neonatal pay for parents of premature babies.

All these measures are counter to what you, Dekka, and one or two others, on here, in your usual scare mongering way, prophesied would happen within days of a new Conservative government taking over.
So do stop being deliberately obtuse and imagining we had all forgotten.
(06-23-2020, 11:58 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(06-23-2020, 10:54 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: No you won’t answer any question about what you consider right wing government so we can compare.

I've waxed lyrical for a couple of decades on here about what I'd prefer. If you haven't read any of that I'm not about to repeat myself.

I'm not sure what you mean by "throwing people to the wolves financially"? The Tory Party has lost me as a member partly because they've done just that. I'm looking forward to the Inquiry into the handling of this, as it will show once again that Corporate Welfare has been the biggest spend - just as it was in 2008. Sod the individual, sod the small company director, sod the restauranteur, sod the parent who can't work because the schools are closed.

You are wrong, you're always wrong. You make the same daft assumptions all the time - why? Because you instinctively believe anyone from the right is evil, whereas I just think you're mistaken.

At the start of the furlough scheme you suggested / or were sympathetic to freelancers not covered at that time to get a job at Tesco’s or work from home etc. Shouldn’t you be sharing that same advice to those small company directors who have gone down the dividend route? You were hardly angry for one set of freelancers but it seems you are for others. You’ve supported the Tory party throughout the austerity years where schools were struggling financially, small charities, libraries youth clubs were all shut and now you suddenly care about the welfare of the most vulnerable kids and show concern for people losing their jobs through no fault of their own? You’ve defended companies who have committed fraud against the government to receive yet another lucrative contract (not going great is it) and you don’t seem overly concerned with those who may have vulnerable members of their families because all you wanted to do was end lockdown as early as possible / not have it at all.  The last one I appreciate I may very well be wrong about but without a plan of how to look after them that doesn’t make them prisoners in their own home, that’s exactly what may happen as a consequence of no proper lockdown measures.  

Perhaps if you didn’t imply that you’re very comfortable with people like Cummings at the heart of government, or condemn the lack of honesty, doubling down or bare faced lies etc I might be more open to what you have to say. I don’t think I’m terms of hyperbole like evil, I have views on some things that are right of centre etc the world isn’t black and white but I’m struggling to see anything positive from the last decade to be supportive of.

Also the questions are still valid as circumstances are still exceptional, what would you do differently to protect lives, business’s and jobs?
(06-23-2020, 12:54 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(06-23-2020, 11:58 AM)Protheroe Wrote:

At the start of the furlough scheme you suggested / or were sympathetic to freelancers not covered at that time to get a job at Tesco’s or work from home etc. Shouldn’t you be sharing that same advice to those small company directors who have gone down the dividend route? You were hardly angry for one set of freelancers but it seems you are for others. You’ve supported the Tory party throughout the austerity years where schools were struggling financially, small charities, libraries youth clubs were all shut and now you suddenly care about the welfare of the most vulnerable kids and show concern for people losing their jobs through no fault of their own? You’ve defended companies who have committed fraud against the government to receive yet another lucrative contract (not going great is it) and you don’t seem overly concerned with those who may have vulnerable members of their families because all you wanted to do was end lockdown as early as possible / not have it at all.  The last one I appreciate I may very well be wrong about but without a plan of how to look after them that doesn’t make them prisoners in their own home, that’s exactly what may happen as a consequence of no proper lockdown measures.  

Perhaps if you didn’t imply that you’re very comfortable with people like Cummings at the heart of government, or condemn the lack of honesty, doubling down or bare faced lies etc I might be more open to what you have to say. 

Also the questions are still valid as circumstances are still exceptional, what would you do differently to protect lives, business’s and jobs?

I think the phrase was 'I wish there were more like him in power' or something like that IIRC