Following the science?
(06-10-2020, 08:32 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(06-09-2020, 01:23 PM)baggy1 Wrote: That damn draconian lockdown - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52968523

Imperial college good enough for you Proth?

No. Once again, the choice was not and is not between either extreme.

You've been crying for weeks about the lockdown being too harsh, ours was hardly Wuhan style military on the streets. We didn't even go as far as France or Spain, yet you wanted it eased. That report shows why we needed it as the minimum, it's also clear that we didn't lock down early or hard enough. If we'd have done that at the time, we'd be in a much better position to save the economy now. As it stands we went half measures and have to pay the price now.
(06-10-2020, 08:38 AM)baggy1 Wrote:
(06-09-2020, 01:23 PM)baggy1 Wrote: That damn draconian lockdown - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52968523

You've been crying for weeks about the lockdown being too harsh, ours was hardly Wuhan style military on the streets. We didn't even go as far as France or Spain, yet you wanted it eased. That report shows why we needed it as the minimum, it's also clear that we didn't lock down early or hard enough. If we'd have done that at the time, we'd be in a much better position to save the economy now. As it stands we went half measures and have to pay the price now.

Spot bud ours was/is nowhere near harsh enough imho.

Exactly. We had neither the capacity or political will to Test, Test, Test due to years of austerity in public health. So our only other option was to lockdown early and harder than we did to allow us to open the economy sooner. We didn’t do either we just fudged every decision and it’s meant a messy, incoherent and truncated exit where decisions seem to be made to either deflect criticism or because they are popular with the core / base support.
What a total an utter mess thus country is making of almost everything.

The safe way to get out of lockdown is to have effective test, track, trace and quarantine in place like sensible and successful nations but, no, not our lot it’s just good old British Common Sense.

You couldn’t satirise half of this !!

(06-10-2020, 09:25 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:

Exactly. We had neither the capacity or political will to Test, Test, Test due to years of austerity in public health. So our only other option was to lockdown early and harder than we did to allow us to open the economy sooner. We didn’t do either we just fudged every decision and it’s meant a messy, incoherent and truncated exit where decisions seem to be made to either deflect criticism or because they are popular with the core / base support.

Totally agree.
Yet still the cowardly clowns in the government won’t admit mistakes and lies.
This government is built as a one dimensional protest regime and totally unsuitable to govern.
think boris will struggle to recover from this once the dust has settled.

handling by the government has been shambolic.

incoherent strategy with decisions seeming to be made up as they go along.
(06-10-2020, 01:58 PM)foreveralbion Wrote: think boris will struggle to recover from this once the dust has settled.

His bumbling, incoherent ramblings in PMQs are just embarrassing at a time when we are facing unprecedented challenges in our lifetime - we need leadership, clarity, honesty and a series plan. We have none of that.
Add in no deal Brexit, recession and social unrest and it’s really the perfect storm.

Need a cross party government of National Emergency to stand any chance of damage limitation.
(06-10-2020, 02:36 PM)EastMidsBaggie Wrote:
(06-10-2020, 01:58 PM)foreveralbion Wrote: think boris will struggle to recover from this once the dust has settled.

His bumbling, incoherent ramblings in PMQs are just embarrassing at a time when we are facing unprecedented challenges in our lifetime - we need leadership, clarity, honesty and a series plan. We have none of that.
Add in no deal Brexit, recession and social unrest and it’s really the perfect storm.

Need a cross party government of National Emergency to stand any chance of damage limitation.

He basically just attacked the questioner today in PMQs rather than answer the Qs. He's a flaccid, incompetent, liar.
(06-10-2020, 08:38 AM)baggy1 Wrote: You've been crying for weeks about the lockdown being too harsh, ours was hardly Wuhan style military on the streets. We didn't even go as far as France or Spain, yet you wanted it eased. That report shows why we needed it as the minimum, it's also clear that we didn't lock down early or hard enough. If we'd have done that at the time, we'd be in a much better position to save the economy now. As it stands we went half measures and have to pay the price now.

The report comes from a group of scientists seeking to justify what we've done.

If you've been paying attention these last few weeks you'll have heard all manner of 'scientific' contributions to the debate. I have. There is no settled science on this matter whatsoever.

That said, the government has played a terrible game with the crap hand it was dealt.

I know I'm not alone in believing all our kids should be at school now, that the 2m distancing is based on no evidence whatsoever, that the chances for asymptomatic spread are negligible as are the chances of catching this outdoors too. That's from listening to scientists.

I look forward to the inevitable Public Inquiry into this catastrophe for our economy. Then we can start the finger pointing.

It will become abundantly clear that we've sacrificed freedoms, our children's education and the economy on a vague threat to NHS capacity that has never been tested in 12 weeks. And now we're going to have 10 million people on the NHS waiting list. Thank God I can afford health insurance for the family.
(06-10-2020, 03:55 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(06-10-2020, 08:38 AM)baggy1 Wrote: You've been crying for weeks about the lockdown being too harsh, ours was hardly Wuhan style military on the streets. We didn't even go as far as France or Spain, yet you wanted it eased. That report shows why we needed it as the minimum, it's also clear that we didn't lock down early or hard enough. If we'd have done that at the time, we'd be in a much better position to save the economy now. As it stands we went half measures and have to pay the price now.

If you've been paying attention these last few weeks you'll have heard all manner of 'scientific' contributions to the debate. I have. There is no settled science on this matter whatsoever.

That said, the government has played a terrible game with the crap hand it was dealt.

I know I'm not alone in believing all our kids should be at school now, that the 2m distancing is based on no evidence whatsoever, that the chances for asymptomatic spread are negligible as are the chances of catching this outdoors too. That's from listening to scientists.

I look forward to the inevitable Public Inquiry into this catastrophe for our economy. Then we can start the finger pointing.

It will become abundantly clear that we've sacrificed freedoms, our children's education and the economy on a vague threat to NHS capacity that has never been tested in 12 weeks. And now we're going to have 10 million people on the NHS waiting list. Thank God I can afford health insurance for the family.

The increase in number of cases was massive at the start of the lockdown because of the uncontrolled spread, if we hadn't have had the lockdown it would have continued increasing rather than slowing down as it did. We've already had 65k excess deaths, without the lockdown you could have added 10s of thousands to that figure. We could also have locked down earlier if it wasn't for people like you screaming for the economy to be prioritised, that in itself would have done two things - reduced the number of deaths and meant we would be out of it by now and restarting the economy. If you can't see that then you really area lost cause to the $$
(06-10-2020, 04:07 PM)baggy1 Wrote:
(06-10-2020, 03:55 PM)Protheroe Wrote:

The increase in number of cases was massive at the start of the lockdown because of the uncontrolled spread, if we hadn't have had the lockdown it would have continued increasing rather than slowing down as it did. We've already had 65k excess deaths, without the lockdown you could have added 10s of thousands to that figure. We could also have locked down earlier if it wasn't for people like you screaming for the economy to be prioritised, that in itself would have done two things - reduced the number of deaths and meant we would be out of it by now and restarting the economy. If you can't see that then you really area lost cause to the $$
Spot on, I'll ask this question again to those who think we overreacted and the threat was not real, just how many deaths would you have been prepared to see before you agreeded  lockdown was  needed?