Bernado Silva "Racism"
(09-23-2019, 06:38 PM)rsbaggy2 Wrote:
(09-23-2019, 03:42 PM)MassDebater Wrote:
(09-23-2019, 03:21 PM)rsbaggy2 Wrote:
(09-23-2019, 02:43 PM)Ed Hopper Wrote: Has anyone asked what Mendy thinks?

Then perhaps, they should continue this joke on a private platform.

Really? So mates can't take the piss out of each other nowadays in public? FFS.

Are you serious? I can see why you chose such a synonym for your ID.

Racists see racism in everything. And yes I am serious, I don't see any problem with this particular 'story'.

Heck, a post pointing out that we had 10 outfield players that weren't white is technically more racist than this is, yet is deemed acceptable and fine to discuss, so you take your offence wherever you like and your petty jibes.
(09-23-2019, 07:36 PM)MassDebater Wrote:

Racists see racism in everything. And yes I am serious, I don't see any problem with this particular 'story'.

Heck, a post pointing out that we had 10 outfield players that weren't white is technically more racist than this is, yet is deemed acceptable and fine to discuss, so you take your offence wherever you like and your petty jibes.

Yep, think you’re spit on. I recall 25 years ago some right on public sector type having a go at me and my mate after I said I had nothing against gays. I said them in the context of the conversation and she said it is them and us then?
Because me and my mate were beer swilling blokes blokes she took offence based on that- can’t win with those people
It really doesn't matter what Mendy said. It's not his job to call out every racist joke or defend every 'black man'

Haven't we all laughed at a joke that isn't funny? Or been hurt by comments, but still laughed anyway?

From my perspective the joke is racist. The label more so. I've always disliked those 'pickaninny' type images.

Having said that, would I be offended? No. 

I would think Silva was a bit ignorant. I may have felt there MIGHT be a slight undercurrent, but I wouldn't challenge it. I would give the benefit of the doubt that it was just a shit joke meant in a friendly way.
(09-23-2019, 07:36 PM)MassDebater Wrote:

Apologies for the petty jibe. I can, however, assure you I am not a racist so I would like to think I don't see racism in every little thing. The joke between Mendy and Silva was private. That is how it should have been kept. It was not for public consumption but was put on a public forum. That is what made it racist IMO.
We all have different levels of sensitivity and Silva should be streetwise enough to know that it would have offended some people.
The definition of racism is:

‘prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.’

Did his post do that?
(09-23-2019, 04:14 PM)Borin\ Baggie Wrote: Irregardless of whether he should be charged for it (I don't think he should), how stupid and tone deaf do you have to be to post that on a public social media account followed by 600,000 people? Surely he could privately send that to Mendy?

Have you seen the price of 1st class stamps these days? Big Grin
(09-24-2019, 08:18 AM)Ed Hopper Wrote: The definition of racism is:

‘prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.’

Did his post do that?

He is sending an image that does the above. But you can also say that he personally isn’t. When look at motive and context.
I used to know a lad through football whose nickname was and still is “soft/softy” because he looked like Mr Soft from the TV adverts in his teens.

As a white man, looking like an advert for sweets would not be be considered racist, but a black man looking like an advert for sweets apparently is.

The PC stupidity of the early 90’s was bad enough, but the faux outrage desperate to be offended culture of today’s social media age boils my fucking piss.

This world truly doesn’t have a fucking prayer.
(09-24-2019, 10:28 AM)Statto Wrote: I used to know a lad through football whose nickname was and still is “soft/softy” because he looked like Mr Soft from the TV adverts in his teens.

As a white man, looking like an advert for sweets would not be be considered racist, but a black man looking like an advert for sweets apparently is.

The PC stupidity of the early 90’s was bad enough, but the faux outrage desperate to be offended culture of today’s social media age boils my fucking piss.

This world truly doesn’t have a fucking prayer.

The point is that throughout the last 100years or so, black people have been compared to cartoon characters unfavourably and as a method of ridicule, which always aims at making them look inferior - usually as stupid / lazy / devious / predatory - to white people, or as a child or childlike character. It’s the same with Asian characters in 1800s comics and times of the Raj, or even how Jews were represented in Nazi storybooks for children.

White people don’t get cast in the same way. The inferiority / superiority dynamic is key. It’s why it’s very difficult for a white person to claim racism. It’s not a case of everyone being equal, it’s a subtle difference of everyone being equal to white people.

I’m absolutely certain Bernardo Silva isn’t racist, and he was just messing about with his mate - after all Mendy is a multi-millionaire celebrity footballer who is very unlikely to experience racism outside of a few dickheads chanting in an Eastern European CL match, but there will be people who may feel the comparison of a black person to that kind of character is offensive - though the press and those reacting on social media are unlikely to be, or be remotely representative, of those people.

It was silly, a little careless, and probably doesn’t offend anyone but in this day and age, footballers need to be savvier.
In private people can make whatever jokes they want. In this case it seems Silva and Mendy are friends and their friendship can withstand this type of 'banter'

But for reasons best known to himself Silva made the joke available for the world to share and given the nature of the joke I don't think that was a very wise course of action for him to take.