Favourite Track By... Volume 59
Have to admit I'm a huge fan so I'll be as brief as I can!
Badlands. The hair on my neck stands up when I hear the intro.
Darkness on The Edge of Town. True melancholy!
I bought his 1st album at about 14 with my milk round money and have seen his about 10 times since. These days everyone has heard of the live performances but 30 years ago, Stafford, Brighton, Roundhay, there was nothing I've seen to touch him. Some highlights were just after fellow New Jersey-ite James Gandolfini died and the band played the whole Born to Run album, midset. Also any time the late Clarence Clemons' nephew steps up with the sax.
I'd better leave it there...
We take care of our own.
Glory Days
Dancing in the Dark
Brilliant Disguise
Darlington County
Out in the Street
Independence Day
(06-30-2020, 08:01 AM)Brentbaggie Wrote: Factory - from Darkness on the Edge of Town. Only because it has personal overtones that mean so much to me. A man having to get up every morning and "Walk through them factory gates in the rain", to feed his family - just as my dad did all his working life. Not a raucous rocker but a sad, mournful and hard ballad.

Saw him three times from the late 70's through the 80's. The first, at Manchester Apollo, still possibly the best concert I've ever been to.

Born to Run, Thunder Road, I'm on Fire … there's so many tracks I love and still listen to all the time.

Something sticks in my throat about a multi-millionaire rock star writing songs about the poor downtrodden working man. He's a very decent lyricist but it's not for me.
(06-30-2020, 07:54 PM)Squid Wrote:
(06-30-2020, 08:01 AM)Brentbaggie Wrote: Factory - from Darkness on the Edge of Town.  Only because it has personal overtones that mean so much to me.  A man having to get up every morning and "Walk through them factory gates in the rain", to feed his family - just as my dad did all his working life. Not a raucous rocker but a sad, mournful and hard ballad.

Saw him three times from the late 70's through the 80's. The first, at Manchester Apollo, still possibly the best concert I've ever been to.

Born to Run, Thunder Road, I'm on Fire … there's so many tracks I love and still listen to all the time.

Something sticks in my throat about a multi-millionaire rock star writing songs about the poor downtrodden working man. He's a very decent lyricist but it's not for me.

We all came from somewhere. So did he. It's a song about his past not his present.
(06-30-2020, 08:01 AM)Brentbaggie Wrote: Factory - from Darkness on the Edge of Town.  Only because it has personal overtones that mean so much to me.  A man having to get up every morning and "Walk through them factory gates in the rain", to feed his family - just as my dad did all his working life. Not a raucous rocker but a sad, mournful and hard ballad.

Some of his songs are about family and friends. The River is a real life story concerning his sister and brother in law.

Factory was written in 1977; I doubt if he was anything like a multi-millionaire at that point in his career.
(07-01-2020, 04:14 PM)Ossian Wrote:

Factory was written in 1977; I doubt if he was anything like a multi-millionaire at that point in his career.

...plus it was about his father.