Al talks sense shocker
Rolleyes  Now, Now B1. I see you haven't had that Dekkaitis treated yet.

You know that Irish sea bridge idea was not a real prospect, barley even  a feasibility study.
Did we want a new airport plonked on a man made island in the Thames estuary? The Bridge... erm. cough, cough.
Thing is, you can't complain about cuts then moan when spending does start.  Suppose the difference between us is you have almost a pathologically mistrust of any Tory government (Almost pathological, your not totally consumed by the disease/ Tongue )
I will give this one the benefit of the doubt and time to prove the word.
I don't think anyone is moaning about spending. The inference I took from dekka and b1 is that a sudden interest in public spending can reasonably be taken with a pinch of salt given the party's historic lack of interest in it,with special reference to the last decade.

If these policies do get delivered then great, although as it has been pointed out they are a fraction of what is required.
JOK
(06-30-2020, 12:48 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: How many billions did we cut from public sector budgets during the last ten years? 

Suddenly kids from poorer backgrounds are considered a priority after years where programs of support were cut. 

The police are now very important after thousands of jobs were lost... just as the nonsense about defund the police stuff is in the media.
Interesting.
So you would rather there not be a re investment in public infrastructure then?

So, do you not welcome disadvantaged children being considered a priority now then?

Expect you would rather a continuation of cuts so you can continue to bleat about 'austerity'.
Perhaps if he had promised "Free Fiber Optic Broad Band for everybody" in Auchtermuchty and "wiping out ALL student loans", you might have been a bit happier.

I work with groups / organisations who I have seen first hand struggle, have to create fundraising campaigns to survive / fold due to the cuts. Sorry you think it’s bleating but I think it’s caused real hardship and problems for individuals and communities and solved very little. Any help to redress those cuts is welcome but it is hardly making a dent on what has been lost. Trust is earned surely not simply given?
It seems quite a simple strategy to me. Cut tens of billions of pounds from public services for 10 years and then announce a couple of billion pound increase on current (now much lower budgets) and claim to be the hero of the hour.

£350m on a bus anyone?
If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.
(06-30-2020, 01:37 PM)BasingBaggie Wrote: Most ‘Directors’ Of a limited company will pay themselves a basic salary of say £9,000 and then take some as dividends. First £2,000 of dividends tax free and then 7.5% on the next £37,500. The salary part is deductible as a business expense as are employer pension contributions. In theory a Husband and Wife could draw say £100,000 out of a limited company with personal tax liability of say £5,625. Add in another £40,000 each of pension contributions as well. The saving in NI can be significant, not as big as it was but still a saving.

A just reward for risking the farm, but a small one.