WBAUnofficial
The amount of people out walking - Printable Version

+- WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk)
+-- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: The amount of people out walking (/showthread.php?tid=9855)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: The amount of people out walking - Dumbo - 04-09-2020

How dare people who I’ve never seen out walking before, be out walking. Disgraceful.

RE: The amount of people out walking - Protheroe - 04-09-2020

(04-09-2020, 08:19 AM)Fulham Fallout Wrote: I’ve been amazed just how many people have taken to walking during the Corona virus.  What were they doing before?  Is it a case that they stayed in previously and now they are told to stay in they want to come out? They aren’t people who frequented gyms previously as you can see that by looking at them.  So how come so many have now decided to go for a walk?   The first 4 and last 4 miles of my walk is a nightmare, constantly having to cross roads to maintain social distancing. It must be a nightmare in London if it’s the same there.

Have any of you taken up walking and if so, what prompted you and what (if any) exercise were you doing before?

I joined the Walk 1000 Miles challenge at the beginning of the year to stop me becoming a fatter bastard. Thats about 2.72 miles a day.

Most of my walking was between meetings - Euston to Farringdon, Clerkenwell and into the City, but luckily living in Hagley I'm only 3 minutes in any direction from the open countryside. I've downloaded the OS App and found hundreds of footpaths I never knew existed. Sunday we walked over to Caunsall and back, loads of circular walks around Churchill, Broome, Belbroughton and Holy Cross without having to touch the Clent Hills which are locked down by West Mercia Babylon.

Last few weeks I've been averaging about 5 miles a day. And the weather's great for it.

RE: The amount of people out walking - Ted Maul - 04-09-2020

I hope it continues after the lockdown is lifted. It's one thing bashing people for going to A&E with trivial injuries, about time something was done about the masses of fat bastards among us.

RE: The amount of people out walking - Protheroe - 04-09-2020

(04-09-2020, 09:40 AM)Ted Maul Wrote: I hope it continues after the lockdown is lifted. It's one thing bashing people for going to A&E with trivial injuries, about time something was done about the masses of fat bastards among us.

No need to be personal FFS sake.

RE: The amount of people out walking - Fulham Fallout - 04-09-2020

Fair play Proth.

I started walking regularly 5 years ago in an attempt to lose weight when I was about 20 stone and started off walking 4 miles per day and built it up. I dropped to around 17 stone and stayed around that weight until last October when I finally decided I no longer wanted to be a fat bastard. I was walking 20 miles to Stratford upon Avon once or twice a week (and catch the train back) and decided to up my walking to 28
miles most days (as that’d burn 1lb per day). I must add I wasn’t working at the time and so has the time needed. I also went on a 1500 cal daily diet and stopped drinking alcohol. I lost 4 1/2 stone in 8 1/2 weeks and got back to my goal weight of 13 stone. Walking is a great way to get fit and is good for the mind too as Stephen Fry discovered. I can’t run (doctors orders) due to both knees being fucked with osteoarthritis.

I agree re not noticing public footpaths, more so in summer when the entrance is concealed with foliage.

I will have to have to download the OS map and start walking off road which I have been doing (mainly country lanes)

(04-09-2020, 08:53 AM)Dumbo Wrote:
(04-09-2020, 08:49 AM)albion_pigeon Wrote:
(04-09-2020, 08:47 AM)Dumbo Wrote: More faux outrage.

How outraged can you be at people out having walk, whilst you’re.....out on a walk.

I don't see any faux outrage. I think he's just asking a question?

And he's right about the amount of people out walking.

People would normally be at work.
People would usually exercise at the gym.
People would usually exercise at a leisure centre.
People are out walking, in order to get a change of scenery of their own 4 walls.

It isn’t rocket science.
Poking at the sizes I’d say sitting in McDonald’s is where they may have been before.
People have gardens to sit in to get out of the house

It will be interesting to see how many continue to go raking after the lockdown has been lifted.

RE: The amount of people out walking - Fido - 04-09-2020

(04-09-2020, 09:31 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(04-09-2020, 08:19 AM)Fulham Fallout Wrote: I’ve been amazed just how many people have taken to walking during the Corona virus.  What were they doing before?  Is it a case that they stayed in previously and now they are told to stay in they want to come out? They aren’t people who frequented gyms previously as you can see that by looking at them.  So how come so many have now decided to go for a walk?   The first 4 and last 4 miles of my walk is a nightmare, constantly having to cross roads to maintain social distancing. It must be a nightmare in London if it’s the same there.

Have any of you taken up walking and if so, what prompted you and what (if any) exercise were you doing before?

I joined the Walk 1000 Miles challenge at the beginning of the year to stop me becoming a fatter bastard. Thats about 2.72 miles a day.

Most of my walking was between meetings - Euston to Farringdon, Clerkenwell and into the City, but luckily living in Hagley I'm only 3 minutes in any direction from the open countryside. I've downloaded the OS App and found hundreds of footpaths I never knew existed. Sunday we walked over to Caunsall and back, loads of circular  walks around Churchill, Broome, Belbroughton and Holy Cross without having to touch the Clent Hills which are locked down by West Mercia Babylon.

Last few weeks I've been averaging about 5 miles a day. And the weather's great for it.

That's where I grew up, Proth. Not a bad place to start off in life. If it's still there the stye up in the top right corner of the recreation ground leads you out onto some lovely walks over Primrose Hill and then over farmland towards Broom Hill/Fairfield.

RE: The amount of people out walking - MassDebater - 04-09-2020

I'm more faux outraged that someone can walk 8 miles (possibly more since there seems to be a middle part otherwise there wouldn't need to be a first and last) in the allotted one hour time frame! I suspect either some of that wasn't walked as was claimed, or someone was naughty and went over their allowed 1 hour! tut tut.

As others said, people are usually at work, and so likely walked at different times to the OP.

What I've seen that is generally annoying is cyclists. The roads around here are pretty quiet to say the least, yet they still insist on riding on the paths, and going where someone is already walking with shopping bags etc... not one thought for the shopper who is quite rightly on the path. Also, they seem to have decided that helmets are more like fashion advice rather than useful... They really grind my gears, get on the road you muppets.

RE: The amount of people out walking - TETLEY74 - 04-09-2020

Me and the wife just about to set off for a 45min walk just around the streets of wednesbury may take in Brunswick Park if it's quiet, will be keeping well away from anybody we meet along the way, it will be our first walk this week as been doing alot in the garden with the weather being so nice.

RE: The amount of people out walking - Duffers - 04-09-2020

Walking/running/cycling are pretty much the only forms of exercise people can do right now given that everywhere else to exercise is closed.

RE: The amount of people out walking - hudds - 04-09-2020

(04-09-2020, 10:41 AM)Duffers Wrote: Walking/running/cycling are pretty much the only forms of exercise people can do right now given that everywhere else to exercise is closed.
Press ups, squats, squat thrusts, triceps dips on edge of chair etc  - what I do in hotels on the road.  I can walk without seeing soul where I live but yesterday saw a couple of deer in the field, hares and a pterodactyl  on the fence<smug>