WBAUnofficial
Danny Cowley second favourite on Odds Checker - Printable Version

+- WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk)
+-- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Danny Cowley second favourite on Odds Checker (/showthread.php?tid=4443)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: Danny Cowley second favourite on Odds Checker - Remi_Moses - 05-16-2019

Jenkins and Lai's plan for an immediate return was flawed, by the very nature we didn't get new legs.
We lost some quality players and retained several PL players, but we didn't get the drive, determination, leadership type
players in to get us up IMMHO (fwiw) We had a strong squad with experience, but tired and weak in energy.
Without a major change in direction and some investment any new manager will have to play the youngsters.
We still HAVE to get 2 or 3 players with that grit / drive / enthusiasm or we won't improve.

RE: Danny Cowley second favourite on Odds Checker - Derek Hardballs - 05-16-2019

(05-16-2019, 08:12 PM)The liquidator Wrote:
(05-16-2019, 07:49 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(05-16-2019, 07:42 PM)The liquidator Wrote:
(05-16-2019, 07:38 PM)clem4england Wrote:
(05-16-2019, 02:22 PM)Pragmatist Wrote: Clearly very few have seen Lincoln play.  The Cowleys’ style of football, albeit successful in the lower divisions, would never gain the approval of our fanbase.  It very definitely is not pretty.
Spot on. This site is full of purists not Rheade appreciators!

No people just don't want the dark days of pulis and the poisonous effect he has on the fan base

Or the fantastic job that GM and Roy did. There influence meant we got up and enabled us to stay up. Mowbray, RDM and Mel’s style of football floundered when it really mattered.

Time has moved on DH football has changed , I know you don't like change and I  accept that you like it but others don't.  The days of pulis and Megson should be banished in the cellar . Greatful for what they done but I feel we need a new brush if houghton can do it fair enough but I suspect in 12 months there will be grumbles like Brighton fans had can't be arsed with all that crap again

Football is simple, if you’re winning most fans don’t care if you don’t people will grumble. Progressive football whatever that means will give a manager on a losing streak a few more matches but that’s all. 

I’m not old fashioned when it comes to football I’m a cynic when it comes to cliches and Guardian Football supplement type fan speak. ‘Young, progressive, hungry, projects’ they’re just meaningless words. The same with tactics, currently it’s trendy to play out from the back it doesn’t matter if the players you have at your disposal can play that way or not, just do it! Teams are literally tripping over themselves to follow each other like sheep. It doesn’t mean it’s the right or only way to play. We’ve had diamonds, Christmas trees, parking the bus it’s all rubbish. 

A managers job is to get the best out of the players he has, over time he can evolve his squad to be more in tune with how he wants to play but only if he wins games otherwise it’s tara! The game is simple but complicated by fools and charlatans and fans bit into it like customers buying snake oil.

RE: Danny Cowley second favourite on Odds Checker - clem4england - 05-16-2019

(05-16-2019, 08:40 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(05-16-2019, 07:42 PM)The liquidator Wrote:
(05-16-2019, 07:38 PM)clem4england Wrote: Spot on. This site is full of purists not Rheade appreciators!

No people just don't want the dark days of pulis and the poisonous effect he has on the fan base

Or the fantastic job that GM and Roy did. There influence meant we got up and enabled us to stay up. Mowbray, RDM and Mel’s style of football floundered when it really mattered.

Time has moved on DH football has changed , I know you don't like change and I  accept that you like it but others don't.  The days of pulis and Megson should be banished in the cellar . Greatful for what they done but I feel we need a new brush if houghton can do it fair enough but I suspect in 12 months there will be grumbles like Brighton fans had can't be arsed with all that crap again

Football is simple, if you’re winning most fans don’t care if you don’t people will grumble. Progressive football whatever that means will give a manager on a losing streak a few more matches but that’s all. 

I’m not old fashioned when it comes to football I’m a cynic when it comes to cliches and Guardian Football supplement type fan speak. ‘Young, progressive, hungry, projects’ they’re just meaningless words. The same with tactics, currently it’s trendy to play out from the back it doesn’t matter if the players you have at your disposal can play that way or not, just do it! Teams are literally tripping over themselves to follow each other like sheep. It doesn’t mean it’s the right or only way to play. We’ve had diamonds, Christmas trees, parking the bus it’s all rubbish. 

A managers job is to get the best out of the players he has, over time he can evolve his squad to be more in tune with how he wants to play but only if he wins games otherwise it’s tara! The game is simple but complicated by fools and charlatans and fans bit into it like customers buying snake oil.
Possibly the best post i’ve read on here. Sums up Dave’s reign perfectly.

RE: Danny Cowley second favourite on Odds Checker - The liquidator - 05-16-2019

(05-16-2019, 08:37 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote: Jenkins and Lai's plan for an immediate return was flawed, by the very nature we didn't get new legs.
We lost some quality players and retained several PL players, but we didn't get the drive, determination, leadership type
players in to get us up IMMHO (fwiw) We had a strong squad with experience, but tired and weak in energy.
Without a major change in direction and some investment any new manager will have to play the youngsters.
We still HAVE to get 2 or 3 players with that grit / drive / enthusiasm or we won't improve.
The managers we have had previously have not bothered to do it . Some fans sre scared to lose their sacred cows .I've been saying for 5 years we need new legs in midfield fuck knows why they havnt bothered getting any .

RE: Danny Cowley second favourite on Odds Checker - Mancbaggies - 05-16-2019

(05-16-2019, 08:12 PM)Duffers Wrote: Said before that I’d be perfectly happy with Hughton. There’s nothing wrong with pragmatic football as long as you’re actually trying to win matches too. Roy’s side was defensively solid but he also understood the importance of carrying a threat at the other end too.

What I don’t want though is for us to go up and return to the soul crushing existence of the race for 17th. Obviously I’m not daft enough to think we can do a Leicester, or even a Wolves without serious investment, but I would at least like to see a manger who tries to attack teams. Who won’t just concede matches to the big boys before a ball is kicked or down tools as soon as we hit 40 points.

The Pulis years were a joyless slog, existing rather than living. I’d like to see a manager who can make supporting Albion enjoyable again.

You’ve nailed it

RE: Danny Cowley second favourite on Odds Checker - clem4england - 05-16-2019

Aside from style of football (which doesn’t bother me at all as long as we are hard to beat and successful), what worries me about Cowley is:

1) Even if we lose a few names this summer we are likely to still have a number of ex-Prem players. Is a PE teacher going to command their respect? Really?

2) Football in the Champ is very different to league one let alone two. Much less agricultural. Could he adapt his style?

3) Dave was sacked because the club’s objective was to get back to the Prem ASAP. If that is the aim you appoint Allardyce or Hughton not a novice like Dave or Cowley.

Personally i’d be no less happy with Shan or Appy.

RE: Danny Cowley second favourite on Odds Checker - Derek Hardballs - 05-16-2019

Best thread for months on here.

RE: Danny Cowley second favourite on Odds Checker - The liquidator - 05-16-2019

I think it was shit or just getting up this year .....The club have to make a choice either go for broke or go slowly and change the whole club and get rid of the players who are to comfortable and have it easy ...........would like to ask people on here what as fans do you want the club to do ?

RE: Danny Cowley second favourite on Odds Checker - Remi_Moses - 05-16-2019

(05-16-2019, 08:46 PM)clem4england Wrote:
(05-16-2019, 07:42 PM)The liquidator Wrote: No people just don't want the dark days of pulis and the poisonous effect he has on the fan base

Dek that's a fair post and I don't complement you often - the only thing I would add is we still had some missing ingredients
so it was always going to be a struggle - Even the best chefs need all the ingredients to make the best cakes - but if your oven is not getting hot, you can shout, abuse or sack who you like but the cake ain't gonna rise.

RE: Danny Cowley second favourite on Odds Checker - Babel - 05-17-2019

(05-16-2019, 09:00 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote:
(05-16-2019, 08:46 PM)clem4england Wrote:
(05-16-2019, 07:49 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Or the fantastic job that GM and Roy did. There influence meant we got up and enabled us to stay up. Mowbray, RDM and Mel’s style of football floundered when it really mattered.

Dek that's a fair post and I don't complement you often - the only thing I would add is we still had some missing ingredients
so it was always going to be a struggle - Even the best chefs need all the ingredients to make the best cakes - but if your oven is not getting hot, you can shout, abuse or sack who you like but the cake ain't gonna rise.

A lot of managers stop evolving at some point, and become caricatures of their most prominent traits. Consequently they become less successful and begin hiring the stalwart types who helped them towards the beginning of their careers. That’s Pulis: same old plan, ageing favorites who follow him from club to club. And this despite the fact that other teams' managers have figured out their game plans.
Innovation is what’s needed: that comes with youth and passion. And variety. That comes from being different

Roy, self-evidently, is an exception. He continues to grow. As does, and must, football.

The Imps manager best matches what we need now.