WBAUnofficial
Local election results - Printable Version

+- WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk)
+-- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Politics (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Local election results (/showthread.php?tid=3631)

Pages: 1 2

Local election results - baggy1 - 05-03-2019

Looking at the early results they start to paint a picture: 

Labour ("we want to deliver Brexit, but we might not - let's see how the wind blows") 79 councillors down
Conservative ("We will deliver Brexit") 442 councillors down
Lib Dems ("we're fucking useless but we will have a peoples vote" 304 Up
UKIP ("we will deliver Brexit at all costs") 54 Down
Independants ("who knows) 215 Up

But Local elections don't mean much do they, they're just a protest vote. Be interesting to see where they are when everything is in.

RE: Local election results - Sotv - 05-03-2019

I think the euro elections may give more of an insight into where people lean with Brexit. Remaniacs are reading the stronger showing by the liberals along with a fairly poor showing for UKIP, as proof there is support for remain and a second referendum.
However, many use these elections as a protest vote and also know that local councillors can do nothing with regards to Brexit.
The absence of Farage’s Brexit party from these polls is key here. If they do well in the Euro elections and the liberals and change U.K. don’t, then it may be fair to surmise that the public are still keen on a harder style Brexit than the local elections suggest

RE: Local election results - Borin' Baggie - 05-03-2019

My town has had 2 of the 3 wards in the district council declared. Of those 6 councillors, 3 are Lib Dem and 3 are Green, they were previously all Tory. I imagine Warwick District council will still be predominantly Tory but it might swing to NOC from Tory, which is huge.

RE: Local election results - baggy1 - 05-03-2019

(05-03-2019, 10:14 AM)Sotv Wrote: I think the euro elections may give more of an insight into where people lean with Brexit. Remaniacs are reading the stronger showing by the liberals along with a fairly poor showing for UKIP, as proof there is support for remain and a second referendum.
However, many use these elections as a protest vote and also know that local councillors can do nothing with regards to Brexit.
The absence of Farage’s Brexit party from these polls is key here. If they do well in the Euro elections and the liberals and change U.K. don’t, then it may be fair to surmise that the public are still keen on a harder style Brexit than the local elections suggest

Remainiacs? Take a look at yourself.

You really think that stronger support for a party that aligns with a second vote is just a protest vote about the way the main parties are not delivering the Brexit the people voted for. OK

And based on your summary if the Euro elections show a similar result moving away from Brexit then you'll align with the Remaniac Remoaners that you seem to be blind to.

RE: Local election results - Borin' Baggie - 05-03-2019

(05-03-2019, 11:13 AM)Borin\ Baggie Wrote: My town has had 2 of the 3 wards in the district council declared. Of those 6 councillors, 3 are Lib Dem and 3 are Green, they were previously all Tory. I imagine Warwick District council will still be predominantly Tory but it might swing to NOC from Tory, which is huge.

I should put the lottery on.

(05-03-2019, 11:33 AM)baggy1 Wrote:
(05-03-2019, 10:14 AM)Sotv Wrote: I think the euro elections may give more of an insight into where people lean with Brexit. Remaniacs are reading the stronger showing by the liberals along with a fairly poor showing for UKIP, as proof there is support for remain and a second referendum.

You really think that stronger support for a party that aligns with a second vote is just a protest vote about the way the main parties are not delivering the Brexit the people voted for. OK

And based on your summary if the Euro elections show a similar result moving away from Brexit then you'll align with the Remaniac Remoaners that you seem to be blind to.
I started using that term after seeing no end of abusive terms aimed at leavers and Brexit from the smugerati across social media after they lost. Sorry if it offends but so does being called a thick, racist, bigot just because liberals cant believe others think differently to them. 
As i said, everyone knows that local councillors have no influence on Brexit, so even leavers can vote for them the LD's in locals if they think they may deliver on other issues, or at least send a message to the government.
Bear in mind they were starting from such a low base it was nearly impossible to do any worse and if people want to protest against the 2 main parties, where do they tend to go? Most people prefer to vote for candidates representing a party that they know, yet "other" did nearly as well as the LD's despite not having a party machine to back them.  
My main point however was regarding the failure of UKIP in these elections and why that may not reflect a collapse in support for leaving like i heard some wanking themselves silly over on the radio this morning. Many have been turned off by Batten bringing in Tommy Robinson, focusing quite heavily on Islam and shifting the party to the fringes of the far right,  but they do feel more comfortable with Farage.  

I really don't understand your point about me aligning with remain if the euro vote showed things going that way. I'm quite happy to be in a minority politically if the views i subscribe to are not popular. 
Using your logic, if Farage's Brexit party does well will you be aligning with the racist, swivel eyed loons who want to leave the EU?

RE: Local election results - Derek Hardballs - 05-03-2019

(05-03-2019, 03:56 PM)Sotv Wrote:

I started using that term after seeing no end of abusive terms aimed at leavers and Brexit from the smugerati across social media after they lost. Sorry if it offends but so does being called a thick, racist, bigot just because liberals cant believe others think differently to them. 
As i said, everyone knows that local councillors have no influence on Brexit, so even leavers can vote for them the LD's in locals if they think they may deliver on other issues, or at least send a message to the government.
Bear in mind they were starting from such a low base it was nearly impossible to do any worse and if people want to protest against the 2 main parties, where do they tend to go? Most people prefer to vote for candidates representing a party that they know, yet "other" did nearly as well as the LD's despite not having a party machine to back them.  
My main point however was regarding the failure of UKIP in these elections and why that may not reflect a collapse in support for leaving like i heard some wanking themselves silly over on the radio this morning. Many have been turned off by Batten bringing in Tommy Robinson, focusing quite heavily on Islam and shifting the party to the fringes of the far right,  but they do feel more comfortable with Farage.  

I really don't understand your point about me aligning with remain if the euro vote showed things going that way. I'm quite happy to be in a minority politically if the views i subscribe to are not popular. 
Using your logic, if Farage's Brexit party does well will you be aligning with the racist, swivel eyed loons who want to leave the EU?

I reckon those that still support UKIP's current incarnation could well be bigoted, racist and not too bright (and voted leave) and I imagine the Brexit Party membership isn't too great to be part of either.

Can you tell me what negative affect Europe has had on your life so far?

(05-03-2019, 04:23 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:

I reckon those that still support UKIP's current incarnation could well be bigoted, racist and not too bright (and voted leave) and I imagine the Brexit Party membership isn't too great to be part of either.

Ah, the old Brexit voters are all thick smear. I didn't realise i had to justify my vote to the bored know it all  but i've had to pay for EU membership all my working life so there is one for a start. 
I'd imagine that anyone who votes labour to be a bigoted anti semite or at least happy to have one run the country

RE: Local election results - Derek Hardballs - 05-03-2019

(05-03-2019, 05:48 PM)Sotv Wrote:
(05-03-2019, 04:23 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:

Ah, the old Brexit voters are all thick smear. I didn't realise i had to justify my vote to the bored know it all  but i've had to pay for EU membership all my working life so there is one for a start. 
I'd imagine that anyone who votes labour to be a bigoted anti semite or at least happy to have one run the country

You’ve also had to pay less money for your food, hotel accommodation etc thanks to all those pesky EU nationals doing the jobs Brits don’t want to. They are usually employed by companies you would admire for trying to avoid tax and bemoaning red tape. 

The Labour line doesn’t offend me, I’ve never been a member or a supporter, I just cannot stand the Tories particularly those on the extreme end of the party.

I love the way the right wing press are trying to frame this as a protest vote for Brexit. What evidence is there for that? The biggest gains were for the Lib Dem’s and Green’s who were the only parties clearly at a national level Pro Remain parties. The bullshit that the Mail, Express, Torygraph etc spout is truly breathtaking at times.

RE: Local election results - John Osborne’s Knuckle - 05-04-2019

(05-03-2019, 05:56 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: 1, You’ve also had to pay less money for your food, hotel accommodation etc thanks to all those pesky 2, EU nationals doing the jobs Brits don’t want to. They are usually employed by companies you would admire for trying to avoid tax and bemoaning red tape. 

The Labour line doesn’t offend me, I’ve never been a member or a supporter, 4I just cannot stand the Tories particularly those on the extreme end of the party.

I love the way the right wing press are trying to frame this as a protest vote for Brexit.  3,What evidence is there for that? The biggest gains were for the Lib Dem’s and Green’s who were the only parties clearly at a national level Pro Remain parties. The bullshit that the Mail, Express, Torygraph etc spout is truly breathtaking at times.

1, So the EU didn’t return to to the ‘70s and ‘80s policy of buying up surplus milk to prop up retail prices in 2015? To add to the £236 mil of taxpayer’s money used to buy butter in 2009.
Are you saying the CAP doesn’t keep prices artificially high? Setting tariffs to keep out cheap imports. I think it more the hostile purchasing pressure put on our farmers by the supermarket chains that has kept prices down not the E.U.

2, Jobs which had to be advertised Europe-wide, partly at taxpayers expense and there was a scheme paying up to £1000 to employers who took on foreign worker.

3, Almost every interview I heard on the radio yesterday, from local activists of all hues, made the claim that it was the number one topic raised on the door steps. It’s a long accepted view that local elections are used as a protest vote against the two main parties or at least the one in government and not based on local issues, which it should be.The Greens have had a massive, free publicity campaign in the ‘Right Wing’ press over the last few months. The Lib. Dems. And the Green Party also entered election pacts to produce “complimentary” voting lists, meaning there was on,y one alternative to the two main parties.

4,  No s**t.