WBAUnofficial
Appleton - Printable Version

+- WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk)
+-- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Appleton (/showthread.php?tid=3493)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Appleton - Hopalong - 04-26-2019

(04-26-2019, 11:44 AM)Sliced Wrote: Maybe it says something about me if I'm agreeing with people on the wind up, but to me this is really a nothing appointment. I'm not sure how much Shan can learn from Appleton in the space of 2 games given that he's been doing ok on his own, and in turn I'm not sure how much Appleton can teach Shan.

I have no problem with it, but I don't really have strong feelings either way.

As Shan himself says, Appy has a different perspective/experience and in a tight play off semi or final one piece of advice could prove crucial.

PS I really don't understand why people are getting upset - it's an extra pair of hands/eyes for 3/4/5 games.

RE: Appleton - Sliced - 04-26-2019

I'm not upset, I'm equally surprised by the ones that think this is terrible as those who think this is amazing.

RE: Appleton - Peachy - 04-26-2019

(04-26-2019, 12:18 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(04-26-2019, 11:46 AM)Peachy Wrote: Funny reading this thread. Shan has bought in a coach to help out. The end.

Why are people pissing their pants. It's a coaching roleuntil the end of the season ffs sake! It's hardly life altering stuff.

We've just made our coaching team a bit stronger than last week. Shan will make the final decisions. Theyve all worked together and know each other. Fine by me.

If I was cynical I would possibly think this is an ideal way to soften up the fans into appointing Appleton a few months down the line as manager if we don’t go up.

I thought he did well at Oxford and am open minded about it but again without the WBA connection his C.V is pretty average.

I have the same feeling Derek. He'll be our next boss if we stay down. Probably with Reid and Shan as assistants.

It's so typically Albion.

Appy created a very decent side at Oxford and got promoted. He was also at 3 other barnpot clubs where he couldn't really hope to do anything as a young manager given their individual circumstances and was brave (Or stupid) to take them.

He's supposed to be a very good coach who doesn't suffer fools and as we know can work on a tight budget but I grant you if he hadn't have played for us I doubt he'd be considered.

It'll happen though if we don't go up. Of that I'm sure.

RE: Appleton - Kit Kat Chunky - 04-26-2019

(04-26-2019, 02:16 PM)Peachy Wrote:
(04-26-2019, 11:46 AM)Peachy Wrote: Funny reading this thread. Shan has bought in a coach to help out. The end.

Why are people pissing their pants. It's a coaching roleuntil the end of the season ffs sake! It's hardly life altering stuff.

We've just made our coaching team a bit stronger than last week. Shan will make the final decisions. Theyve all worked together and know each other. Fine by me.

If I was cynical I would possibly think this is an ideal way to soften up the fans into appointing Appleton a few months down the line as manager if we don’t go up.

I thought he did well at Oxford and am open minded about it but again without the WBA connection his C.V is pretty average.

I have the same feeling Derek. He'll be our next boss if we stay down. Probably with Reid and Shan as assistants.

Appy created a very decent side at Oxford and got promoted. He was also at 3 other barnpot clubs where he couldn't really hope to do anything as a young manager given their individual circumstances and was brave (Or stupid) to take them.

He's supposed to be a very good coach who doesn't suffer fools and as we know can work on a tight budget but I grant you if he hadn't have played for us I doubt he'd be considered.

I suspect it is this fact that is appealing, given our long term prognosis would not appear to be good.

RE: Appleton - igorbalis - 04-26-2019

(04-26-2019, 01:18 PM)MGalea Wrote:
(04-26-2019, 12:49 PM)Beachboysbaggie Wrote: No great surprise this, Appy’s worked with Dowling before and their reputedly mutual admirers.

No great surprise this, Appy’s worked with Dowling before and their reputedly mutual admirers.

Not sure that chant is going to catch on personally...

.....come back up, win the cup, kick f*ck out the villa Big Grin

RE: Appleton - chasetownbaggie - 04-26-2019

(04-26-2019, 09:45 AM)Noibla Wrote: Worth a read
https://www.coachesvoice.com/cut-short-leicester-city-oxford-united-portsmouth-fc-blackpool-blakburn-rovers-west-brom/

Thanks for that. He's got a lot of experience for his years. I'm pleased with the appointment.

RE: Appleton - Johnnykayeengland - 04-26-2019

(04-26-2019, 03:27 PM)chasetownbaggie Wrote:
(04-26-2019, 09:45 AM)Noibla Wrote: Worth a read
https://www.coachesvoice.com/cut-short-leicester-city-oxford-united-portsmouth-fc-blackpool-blakburn-rovers-west-brom/

Thanks for that. He's got a lot of experience for his years. I'm pleased with the appointment.
Excellent article and insight. Much better than most of the uninformed prejudice I've been reading.
There was always a story that Appleton was well thought of at the club (going back to Ashworths time I believe). We could do a lot worse than make him manager. We have.
I'm happy with Appy. Apart from his tattoos.

RE: Appleton - ChamonixBaggie - 04-26-2019

Decent read and whilst I'm not particularly bothered either way about the appointment I can't see how it can be considered negative. Had all the right ideas at Oxford.

Although the stone island t shirt and awful tattoos don't do anything for him. Do people still say 'chav' is that still a thing?

RE: Appleton - SW4Baggie - 04-26-2019

(04-26-2019, 04:23 PM)ChamonixBaggie Wrote: Although the stone island t shirt and awful tattoos don't do anything for him. Do people still say 'chav' is that still a thing?

That’s all that’s endearing him to some of our fans!

RE: Appleton - Mancbaggies - 04-26-2019

(04-26-2019, 02:16 PM)Peachy Wrote:

No problem - if the appointment is just as coach. 

You’d hope our next manager was someone better.