WBAUnofficial
Lasting Power of Attorney - Printable Version

+- WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk)
+-- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Lasting Power of Attorney (/showthread.php?tid=11028)

Pages: 1 2

Lasting Power of Attorney - Fulham Fallout - 06-30-2020

If either of your parents are still with us then I’d thoroughly recommend you obtain these for
1. Property & Finance
2. Health 

These can only be obtained whilst the “donor” has mental capacity.

The process of registering a LPA with each financial institution was a ball ache having to show them the original (for them to copy) or take a solicitor certified copy. Along with proof of ID and address. 

Fir those of you who have LPA and haven’t yet registered it with financial institutions there is currently a trial of a simplified process whereby you email a .gov.uk email address and provide information from the LPA along with your own details.  They then give you an access code to register the LPA on a portal.

Once register on the portal you provide financial institutions (over the phone or email) with the code they have to enter on the portal to see a summary of the LPA.  This will save a shit load of grief for many people.

Just thought I’d post it on here as I’m sure someone will find it useful.

If someone want the email addy, just shout and I’ll add it along with the details you need to include in the email.

RE: Lasting Power of Attorney - Ossian - 06-30-2020

We have one for my parents which is primarily designed for us to carry out the instructions of their final wills. It can also be triggered by permanent physical or mental incapacity, which thankfully still doesn't apply, despite them being 99 and 96 respectively. However, lockdown has rendered them pretty much housebound (my father finally stopped driving last year) and we're thinking that might not change when things become more relaxed, so we're partway through the process of becoming nominated third parties for things like routine banking matters.

Not something we really want to do to be honest, but there is no-one else. It's been very difficult persuading them that the procedures might be a ballache but they're unavoidable, because without the proper arrangements in place they would lose their protection if there was ever fraud on the accounts.

RE: Lasting Power of Attorney - SussexBaggie - 06-30-2020

I like to think I’ve got a few years left & haven’t totally lost my marbles (but I am on here ...Baaa!), but I have these in place with my kids able to take control & I sleep better at night for it.
Just do it I say.

RE: Lasting Power of Attorney - baggiemike - 06-30-2020

My wife and I recently spoke to our solicitor regarding these, 
we were quoted £1400 each for them to do the work.
Looked at the .gov website and downloaded the forms which look
pretty straight forward and costs just over £80 each if you do it yourself.

RE: Lasting Power of Attorney - Kit Kat Chunky - 06-30-2020

Is this the same as an Enduring Power of Attorney?

RE: Lasting Power of Attorney - Fulham Fallout - 07-01-2020

(06-30-2020, 09:54 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote: Is this the same as an Enduring Power of Attorney?

LPA replaced EPA in 2007.  There are two LPA‘s, one for finance and property, the other for health and welfare. Whereas the EPA was all encompassing.

Don’t do as we did and state the person needs to lack mental capacity to be able to enforce the LPA as obtaining documentary evidence isn’t easy.

RE: Lasting Power of Attorney - Kit Kat Chunky - 07-01-2020

(07-01-2020, 06:25 AM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:
(06-30-2020, 09:54 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote: Is this the same as an Enduring Power of Attorney?

LPA replaced EPA in 2007.  There are two LPA‘s, one for finance and property, the other for health and welfare. Whereas the EPA was all encompassing.

Don’t do as we did and state the person needs to lack mental capacity to be able to enforce the LPA as obtaining documentary evidence isn’t easy.
Thanks FF. I'll read up on it.

RE: Lasting Power of Attorney - On_The_Wing - 07-01-2020

(06-30-2020, 05:02 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote: If either of your parents are still with us then I’d thoroughly recommend you obtain these for
1. Property & Finance
2. Health 

The process of registering a LPA with each financial institution was a ball ache having to show them the original (for them to copy) or take a solicitor certified copy. Along with proof of ID and address. 

Fir those of you who have LPA and haven’t yet registered it with financial institutions there is currently a trial of a simplified process whereby you email a .gov.uk email address and provide information from the LPA along with your own details.  They then give you an access code to register the LPA on a portal.

Once register on the portal you provide financial institutions (over the phone or email) with the code they have to enter on the portal to see a summary of the LPA.  This will save a shit load of grief for many people.

If someone want the email addy, just shout and I’ll add it along with the details you need to include in the email.
The email and details required would be appreciated please.

On_The_Wing
(07-01-2020, 08:01 AM)On_The_Wing Wrote:
(06-30-2020, 05:02 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote: If either of your parents are still with us then I’d thoroughly recommend you obtain these for
1. Property & Finance
2. Health 

The email and details required would be appreciated please.

Here you go;

email:  lpa.research@digital.justice.gov.uk

Include the following;

OPG reference number (found at bottom of first page of LPA)
Full Name of Donor

Donor Date of Birth
Donor Postcode
Your Full Name
Your Date of Birth
Your telephone number

and state the following

"I confirm that I am happy to be contacted on the above telephone should you have any queries".

Within 3 working days you will receive an email with a link where you register an "LPA" account.  After registering you will receive  further email to activate your account.

Within the account you type in the name of the financial organisation you wish to register the LPA with and the system will then provide you with a code to provide to the financial institution you wish o register an LPA with.   You will be given a different code for each financial institution.

You then provide this code to the financial institution and they can then access to a summary of the LPA

I've just used the electronic version for the first time with Dept for Works and Pension and once I got through to them the whole process took less than 3 minutes to register the LPA and I was then able to change the bank account (to another of my mom's bank accounts (before ypou lot start raising eyebrows) on the same call.

Fabtastic!!!!

(06-30-2020, 07:25 PM)SussexBaggie Wrote: I like to think I’ve got a few years left & haven’t totally lost my marbles (but I am on here ...Baaa!), but I have these in place with my kids able to take control & I sleep better at night for it.
Just do it I say.

and you have to have mental capacity to register a LPA.  Don't leave it until it's too late peeps.