WBAUnofficial
Schools - Printable Version

+- WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk)
+-- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Politics (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Schools (/showthread.php?tid=10666)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: Schools - baggy1 - 06-19-2020

The downside to any form of homeschooling or rota'd schooling is the child will need a parent at home, meaning that parent can't go to work. The benefit here is that we could make a step towards the Tory 1950s dream and have the mothers stay at home putting an end to all of that equality burning bras malarky and blame it all on covid and the unions, win win.

RE: Schools - The liquidator - 06-19-2020

I'm sure in these times the parents boss can sort out flexibility at work ....there is a solution if they want it too.

RE: Schools - JOK - 06-19-2020

(06-19-2020, 02:16 PM)baggy1 Wrote: The downside to any form of homeschooling or rota'd schooling is the child will need a parent at home, meaning that parent can't go to work. The benefit here is that we could make a step towards the Tory 1950s dream and have the mothers stay at home putting an end to all of that equality burning bras malarky and blame it all on covid and the unions, win win.

Come on now B1, I think you’ve contracted Dekkaitis. What Tory members of the government have suggested or expressed a desire to reel back on female equality?

RE: Schools - The liquidator - 06-19-2020

Dekatitus lol.

(06-19-2020, 03:44 PM)JOK Wrote:
(06-19-2020, 02:16 PM)baggy1 Wrote: The downside to any form of homeschooling or rota'd schooling is the child will need a parent at home, meaning that parent can't go to work. The benefit here is that we could make a step towards the Tory 1950s dream and have the mothers stay at home putting an end to all of that equality burning bras malarky and blame it all on covid and the unions, win win.

Come on now B1, I think you’ve contracted Dekkaitis. What Tory members of the government have suggested or expressed a desire to reel back on female equality?

Big Grin  I think you might be taking this a bit too seriously. tbh JOK the govt are such a shambles now it's become embarrassing. 

The serious point I would make is as much as getting the kids back into school is everything we want the govt are paralysed in making any decision. They don't want to be the ones to say just do it because if it goes wrong they are exposed. The 1st stage on any govt policy these days is 'cover your arse', there are no leaders in there at all but we got what we voted for.

And before you ask I would:

Provide protective environments for teachers and restrict the staff to those under 50
Ensure rigorous cleaning is available for all schools to be implemented between each class period
Provide weekly testing for teachers in schools
Provide better online teaching options for all secondary schools (let's buy it off the shelf this time instead of developing a 'world beating' one)
Stagger start and leave times by years
Implement weekend schooling (to further aid staggered teaching)
Increase Teacher Training options and pay to make it more attractive
Increase Teacher pay

I'm sure there are more but that's off the top of my head.

RE: Schools - fuzzbox - 06-19-2020

(06-19-2020, 02:36 PM)The liquidator Wrote: I'm sure in these times the parents boss can sort out flexibility at work ....there is a solution if they want it too.

Maybe your job is important, people are relying on you and you're the only one who can do it. Not everyone sits on their arse in the back of ford transits half the day eating big mac's...

RE: Schools - Baggie Rick - 06-19-2020

(06-19-2020, 04:03 PM)fuzzbox Wrote:
(06-19-2020, 02:36 PM)The liquidator Wrote: I'm sure in these times the parents boss can sort out flexibility at work ....there is a solution if they want it too.

Maybe your job is important, people are relying on you and you're the only one who can do it. Not everyone sits on their arse in the back of ford transits half the day eating big mac's...

Nice bit of Snobbery! 

Schools are going back September anyway. Just been announced.

Track and trace is being implemented with a world beating system at the end of May, I wouldn't hold my breath on anything the cabinet promise these days

RE: Schools - fuzzbox - 06-19-2020

(06-19-2020, 04:42 PM)Baggie Rick Wrote:
(06-19-2020, 04:03 PM)fuzzbox Wrote:

Nice bit of Snobbery! 

Schools are going back September anyway. Just been announced.

Snobbery would imply sneering at someone based on their class. I can say with 100% honesty that's not what I was doing....

RE: Schools - JOK - 06-19-2020

(06-19-2020, 03:59 PM)baggy1 Wrote:
(06-19-2020, 03:44 PM)JOK Wrote:

Big Grin  I think you might be taking this a bit too seriously. tbh JOK the govt are such a shambles now it's become embarrassing. 

The serious point I would make is as much as getting the kids back into school is everything we want the govt are paralysed in making any decision. They don't want to be the ones to say just do it because if it goes wrong they are exposed. The 1st stage on any govt policy these days is 'cover your arse', there are no leaders in there at all but we got what we voted for.

And before you ask I would:

Provide protective environments for teachers and restrict the staff to those under 50
Ensure rigorous cleaning is available for all schools to be implemented between each class period
Provide weekly testing for teachers in schools
Provide better online teaching options for all secondary schools (let's buy it off the shelf this time instead of developing a 'world beating' one)
Stagger start and leave times by years
Implement weekend schooling (to further aid staggered teaching)
Increase Teacher Training options and pay to make it more attractive
Increase Teacher pay

I'm sure there are more but that's off the top of my head.
That’s the first lot of concrete suggestions I have seen on here.
Always said teachers should have bullet proof screens around their desks.  Big Grin 
Cleaning between lessons? How would that work? You would need far to many cleaners and it would probably reduce period times drastically.
Deffo weekly teacher testing.
Online Teaching. An ex colleague, a very good teacher, told me the school or the parents were unable to get half the pupils to engage. Most need to have face to face time.
Staggered times, a must.
Weekend lessons. Teachers aren’t going to be keen on that, even for overtime. 
Doesn’t matter how attractive you make teaching look, the high drop out before 5 years will still happen. More support and backing from SLT and more pertinently, from parents regarding behaviour and engagement essential.
Increase pay for post NQTs (this could partly financed in MATs  by reducing head teachers and CEOs salaries)

Most school buildings could have One Way systems. 
Ensure ALL children bring in their own equipment.
Tricky one; staff stationed at Toilet doors. The Behaviour and unsanitary ways of some kids you wouldn’t believe.
Masks. (I think we should all wear masks in public places anyway)

Buses, marking (unless books are left for 48 hours perhaps), practical lessons and resources/ text books would be problems.