WBAUnofficial
EFL Statement - Printable Version

+- WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk)
+-- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: EFL Statement (/showthread.php?tid=10428)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

EFL Statement - Duffers - 05-21-2020

Essentially they’re going to try to finish the season but if not they’ll be having unweighted PPG to decide placings.

We are going up as long as we don’t need to kick another ball.

https://www.efl.com/news/2020/may/efl-statement-coronavirus-update2/

RE: EFL Statement - backsidebaggie - 05-21-2020

My guess is the games will be played now. Definitely in the prem, probably in the champ.

RE: EFL Statement - Beachboysbaggie - 05-21-2020

Only needs 11 clubs to not want a resumption, I’d say that’s a distinct possibility. Only Fulham, bottom 3 and maybe 3 outside playoffs have much to gain by resuming

RE: EFL Statement - backsidebaggie - 05-21-2020

(05-21-2020, 01:35 PM)Beachboysbaggie Wrote: Only needs 11 clubs to not want a resumption, I’d say that’s a distinct possibility. Only Fulham, bottom 3 and maybe 3 outside playoffs have much to gain by resuming

You'd think so, but only Hull seem to be against restarting. Dates have been sorted, twice a week for 4 weeks. I think we'll play.

2 games in we'll be level on points with Fulham Big Grin

RE: EFL Statement - fbaggy - 05-21-2020

(05-21-2020, 01:35 PM)Beachboysbaggie Wrote: Only needs 11 clubs to not want a resumption, I’d say that’s a distinct possibility. Only Fulham, bottom 3 and maybe 3 outside playoffs have much to gain by resuming

Not so sure the teams outside the playoffs are fairly tightly packed down to QPR in 13th with 50 points, assuming us and Leeds aren't too bothered about integrity think there would be 11 - 14 clubs with something to play for.

RE: EFL Statement - Juan Quidonqui - 05-21-2020

The statement suggests that for the season to be finished based on the current table, more than half the teams in each division would need to vote for it.
In our division us and Leeds would obviously be happy with that. Of the teams in the playoff places probably only Fulham would think they could realistically catch us or Leeds and the other 3 would possibly prefer the guaranteed playoff place rather than risking falling out of the playoffs if the season continued.
The teams outside the playoffs would vote against ending the season as it currently stands but that may only go down as far as Reading who are basically as close to the relegation zone as they are to the playoff places.
Anyone below Reading (other than the current bottom 3) would probably want to end the season now and avoid the risk of being dragged into a relegation fight.
So with my basic maths thats probably 13 teams out of 24 who would vote to end the season now with the table as it stands (i.e. more than 50%)
Cue dancing in the streets of Smethwick!

RE: EFL Statement - Logic1 - 05-21-2020

(05-21-2020, 01:48 PM)Juan Quidonqui Wrote: The statement suggests that for the season to be finished based on the current table, more than half the teams in each division would need to vote for it.
In our division us and Leeds would obviously be happy with that. Of the teams in the playoff places probably only Fulham would think they could realistically catch us or Leeds and the other 3 would possibly prefer the guaranteed playoff place rather than risking falling out of the playoffs if the season continued.
The teams outside the playoffs would vote against ending the season as it currently stands but that may only go down as far as Reading who are basically as close to the relegation zone as they are to the playoff places.
Anyone below Reading (other than the current bottom 3) would probably want to end the season now and avoid the risk of being dragged into a relegation fight.
So with my basic maths thats probably 13 teams out of 24 who would vote to end the season now with the table as it stands (i.e. more than 50%)

I did exactly the same calculation as you. This would all depend on Reading and whether they think they have a chance.

RE: EFL Statement - steviedm - 05-21-2020

(05-21-2020, 01:48 PM)Juan Quidonqui Wrote: The statement suggests that for the season to be finished based on the current table, more than half the teams in each division would need to vote for it.

This is my take as well. Brentford are ten points behind us but only 5 ahead of Bristol City. Therefore, of the top six, I think five would be happy to take the position they are currently in. Reading and Sheff Wed are eight points off the play-offs - they are essentially unlikely to make it and may prefer not to want to complete the season. But it all hinges on them - severe snow in Reading and a small gratuity payment to our friends at Hillsborough may be enough. It appears to be very much on a knife-edge!

RE: EFL Statement - Remi_Moses - 05-21-2020

Remilogic is also a factor, who pays the £1/2 million a game lost revenue the fans create?

RE: EFL Statement - spudgun - 05-21-2020

Are the Premier League bound by this decision? I don't see that mentioned anywhere