WBAUnofficial
FA Cup semifinal 1969 - Printable Version

+- WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk)
+-- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: FA Cup semifinal 1969 (/showthread.php?tid=10396)

Pages: 1 2 3

FA Cup semifinal 1969 - Netherbaggy - 05-19-2020

Went there with a mate the year after we won the cup,this was the one v Leicester which we lost,and I can honestly say I’ve never been more frightened of getting crushed to death as this game.whats your worst experiences.

RE: FA Cup semifinal 1969 - Brentbaggie - 05-19-2020

Getting a pie at said game and getting to stand to find we were 1-0 down and that was it.

Otherwise being in Brummie Road when Man Utd poured into it after we sang a nasty song about Munich.

RE: FA Cup semifinal 1969 - ericlegrisly - 05-19-2020

There was a terrifying one at Molineux once - in the tunnel leaving the ground. Stewards and police pushing people out of the stadium, police at the exit pushing folk back in because of missile throwing dingles outside - very hairy for a few minutes that one.

And Valencia at home. There were WAY more in the Brummie than were declared that night.

RE: FA Cup semifinal 1969 - cornishbaggie - 05-19-2020

There were many in the dark days, but Pompey away in 95 when we took 10 or 12 thousand, depends which figure you believe, when they herded us all down that alleyway behind the away end and the turnstiles couldn't keep up with the ingress into the alleyway, got a bit hairy.

RE: FA Cup semifinal 1969 - Midget In A Pinstripe Suit - 05-19-2020

Reading away, somebody jumped the tapas queue.

RE: FA Cup semifinal 1969 - Fulham Fallout - 05-19-2020

Home to Leeds standing in the brummie with one of my brothers when I was aged about 10 (circa 1975).  Bomber had a shot that went narrowly wide and a surge ensued.  There was a small gap between me and the person in front and I hit the terraces and had people standing on my arms, legs and back. The pressure of their bodies went through my body to the edges of each terrace.  If I’d been lying on a flat surface the pain would not have been nowhere as intense as it was and I was screaming for help and all I could see were shoes and the bottom of people’s legs.  I couldn’t stand due to people standing on me and because my feet were above my head and I needed to bring my feet down a few terraces, but people were in the way, unaware a 10 year old kid was getting trampled on.

I suddenly felt the back of my jacket pull and some stranger had grabbed my coat and yanked me up.  I was shaking like a leaf and crying my eyes out.  I didn’t go again for another 11 years as I was that frightened by that experience.  

I can understand people wanting terracing back for the atmosphere (as I do) but they need to have crush barriers every couple of terraces to prevent things like what happened to me happening again.

RE: FA Cup semifinal 1969 - Spandaubaggie - 05-19-2020

As i said before, I was in Leppings Lane, Hillsborough, with the Leeds fans in 87 v Coventry. I was 21 then, but it was so frightening. It was the dress-rehearsal for two years later. Give bigger supported club smaller end and learn nothing.
Nothing anywhere has ever been anything like how it was that day for me.
It was a cracking semi, but I couldn't wait to leave the ground and the day the tragedy happened as I heard the news of a crush at Hillsborough I said to myself: "I bet it's Leppings Lane."

RE: FA Cup semifinal 1969 - devonbaggie - 05-19-2020

I went to Molineux with a wolves supporting mate in May 1976 when Liverpool needed a draw to be champions and wulfs needed a win to avoid relegation.
Liverpool won 3-1 and their fans invaded the pitch and attacked the north bank where we were. That was pretty scary.

RE: FA Cup semifinal 1969 - throstle - 05-19-2020

Albion fans were on the open terrace in the background to this photo. Looks pretty packed!

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/leicester-city-defender-peter-rodrigues-clears-the-ball-news-photo/514140886

RE: FA Cup semifinal 1969 - Alf Tupper - 05-19-2020

I was a school kid then and there on the day .A devastating defeat for me.The winning goal by Albion fan Allan Clarke who did nothing else apart from score that goal.After that game Clarke fell out with everyone at Leicester when he wanted his own players pool separate to the other players where the players earned extra money from personal appearances before the cup final.He regarded himself to be the 'star player'.He moved on to Leeds after they lost the final to Man City.